Mac OSX runs on AMD!?

dont know if leaked betas fall under Warez category but i had posted elsewhere where to get the leaked beta and how to get it running on a PC on either Intel or AMD.

Budwise said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25843

This would be awesome if it were true! I would love to see the look on BIlly boy Gate's face if OSX was release for the PC! Gawd i hope this is for real. What do you guys think, could this be a possibility?
from a techincal standpoint, i dont see why it wouldnet work on a AMD unless OSX is using some obscure code only on intel procs.

I keep praying for a release of osx as a os and not part of a mac, i know that when it finally gets out into the wild that there will be hacked versions, but i would be more than willing to pony up $$ for a x86 version of OSX :D

hehe yeah i would pay for it aswell but i read that the Betas were a generalized code and that when the offial version came out that it will optimized for Intel procs. And when you install it it will look to see if you have a Intel proc and not something else....and a specific intel proc at that too. I just hope it works on any x86 rig that way i can build whatever i feel like it rather than buying an OEM system from Dell or Apple in this case :D

Seems to me that Apple is putting all their eggs in one basket. They seem to think the TPM chip will solve all their problems and prevent users from installing OSX on an unauthorized computer. Given that the chip was completely bypassed during the leaked OSX fiacso it seems pretty likely an x86 will be able to run the operating system.

OS X86 will run on any x86 computer with remotely compatible logic board and SSE2 or better. Supposedly, some of the iLife applications require SSE3. You won't get OS X86 running on an AthlonXP, but a new Athlon64 does it just fine I would think.

Seems to me that Apple is putting all their eggs in one basket. They seem to think the TPM chip will solve all their problems and prevent users from installing OSX on an unauthorized computer. Given that the chip was completely bypassed during the leaked OSX fiacso it seems pretty likely an x86 will be able to run the operating system.
How is that a problem? The number of users who will run it on "unauthorized" hardware is bound to be pretty limited. You grandmother won't go download it and install it on her computer. Sure, probably just about everyone on [H] will give it a go, but let's face it, we're not that many. It'll mean more copies of OS X sold, which is always a nice thing for Apple. It probably won't kill their hardware business, especially not if it breaks the EULA (thusly forcing schools and companies to actually buy Macs).

The trick is the drivers. No matter how user-friendly a Mac is, what good is a Mac without sound, SATA, Ethernet, or video drivers?

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
The trick is the drivers. No matter how user-friendly a Mac is, what good is a Mac without sound, SATA, Ethernet, or video drivers?
Oh? Do you download different drivers for your xp box based on what cpu is in there?

Or, if you were referring to the actual drivers, non mac specific: That's why, like linux, you'd get hardware together that would be supported. Apple is going with intel, so it stands to reason they won't reinvent the wheel when it comes to components either.

The AMD processors use x86 technology, therefore it will run on them no problem. Hell, it'll run on any compatible x86 processor.

i would change from winxp to macosx, but not from vista to macosx. vista really looks good.

Well, considering there is no software support whatsoever for a Mac, and hardly anybody could give a shit if it ran on an AMD or not, I don't really care. :p I like my Win XP and I'll stick to that. It does everything I need and I can get anything for it that I could ever dream of.

XOR != OR said:
Oh? Do you download different drivers for your xp box based on what cpu is in there?

Or, if you were referring to the actual drivers, non mac specific: That's why, like linux, you'd get hardware together that would be supported. Apple is going with intel, so it stands to reason they won't reinvent the wheel when it comes to components either.

If they're going to be developing for x86 on Intel chipsets, you're probably not going to find drivers that support non-intel gear (think VIA SATA, Realtek ethernet & the like).

Wesley1357 said:
i would change from winxp to macosx, but not from vista to macosx. vista really looks good.

If all you care about is some visual styling, you could probably get XP to look 90% like Vista today. The important thin is how it works...

Back