Mac OS X to Windows Server 2000

nerdy_scenester

Limp Gawd
I need to back up a lot of files on my Mac system to a server running windows server 2000. I can't connect to the windows server from the mac, but I can connect to the Mac from the windows server and I can connect to other windows machines (running just 2000 pro). I am not sure of all the info one would need to help me out, but any help would be great. Thanks.

heres what i did to connect osx to 2k/xp.
first turn on file sharing on the pc and mac (the mac will have a "windows file sharing" option)
turn off any sofware firewall
browse for the mac from the pc. if you cant see it, try adding a new path using the ip given in the sharing system prefs. or browse to the ip from a browser. you should be able to see the mac either of those ways.
then you have to make sure you have a folder shared on the pc that has a user name and pw that is on the mac.
from the mac go to file menu>go>connect to and type the name of the pc. it should then pop up the authenticate dialogue box and type the id and the pw and you should be in.

its weird though. you can browse the entire mac from the pc once you authenticate. you can only get to the shared folder on the pc from the mac...so it may be beneficial to you to back up your files on the mac, then browse to a folder where you tucked them from the pc (if you can) and then copy them over.

wankrtron said:
its weird though. you can browse the entire mac from the pc once you authenticate. you can only get to the shared folder on the pc from the mac.
What?

You must have your share points messed up, I can browse my whole array from my mac over SMB.

yeah, my pc will only let the mac see one specific shared folder. maybe you could shed some light on how i can see it all, thatd be great. itd save me some trouble...

On the windows side, you prolly don't have the root of the drive shared.
Go to My Computer -> Right click on the drive -> Sharing -> then go ahead and set up that sharepoint.

Thats what works for me.

Back