MAC OS Big Sur Error in Virtualbox

greatchap

Weaksauce
Hello Everyone,

I have a Windows 10 PC and I use VirtualBox to host MacOS. This is done to learn the OS and to test a program.

I had MAC OS Mojave virtual machine and it worked okay. However I wanted to upgrade to MAC OS BIG SUR but upgrade failed as file system was not APFS. So I created a new machine and installed mac os big sur and after installation when it starts it stops at

"IOConsoleUsers : gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0"

What to do ? I am running latest version of virtual box.

Regards,
GR

If while installing MacOS, the installation process gets stuck on:

"IOConsoleUsers : gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0"

follow this procedure:

1. From the top bar on your screen select: Devices / CD/DVD Devices / Remove disk from virtual drive (you don't want to boot from the iso file again, but from the disk you've just created with the MacOS installed)
2. Then select: File / Shut down (in order to shut down the MacVM)
3. Shut down VirtualBox
4. Follow Step 5 from this site: https://www.saintlad.com/install-macos-sierra-in-virtualbox-on-windows-10/
5. Start VirtualBox
6. Start your MacVM
7. The booting will start and about 5 seconds after "IOConsoleUsers : gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" the booting will continue

For anyone who's encountering this issue and has made their way to this old thread:

I had the exact same error trying to run Monterey in virtualbox, and spent literally days trying everything I could find on the internet. Adding/removing/changing extra data lines, CPU profiles, parallelization options etc.
On the verge of giving up, I decided to give VMware a shot (also free), followed this guide: and my VM was up and running perfectly in 1 hour.

Back