Mac Mini... your thoughts/worth it?

Atherton213

[H]ard|Gawd
what is everyones thoughts on the mini... im thinking about getting one... i dont own a mac but ive used them... and always said ill get one... mini is a good price...cant afford a g5.. well i could and i want one but im not gonna spend that kinda money on a mac...(right now....eventually ill get a few :)) so what do people think...

.get one there cool!
or
.total crap

also... ive been seeing people's naked mini's and the ram says pc3200... now if i got one i would upgrade to 1gb my self... but could i get pc3200? or just stick with pc2700 cause thats what mac says is in it

do you want a computer with the best interface in the world, that's hardly ever brought down by adware or viruses? do you use word, photoshop, sundry other productivity apps? Do you watch dvds and surf the net? do you do everything but game?

if the answer is yes, grab a 1.4 with a gig of memory and you will be set. while the mac mini's only arrive on thursday, and thus there aren't a huge amount of general user reviews, like us types, i would expect most of them to be very positive given apple's current rising star status with it's other products (read: continued improvement).

yeah, it's worth the money, the OX in a box the size of a DVD burner, definately.

-esr

i'll say it again, if i hadn't dropped 3 grand on a powerbook and toys for it, i'd have a mac mini right now.

I say go for it. I was one of the lucky few that got one on the 22nd and I love my little box to death. I do not miss my Windows machine at all and it has proven to me that good things do indeed come in small packages.

keep a cheap PC around for games and buy a mini for everything else thats more important than games. Buy It. APPLE'S GOT THEIR GAME ON.

i would have to agree.

i got the chance to use OSX Panther for a couple classes in college and let me tell you, that operating system is so smooth and purdy lookin.

not to mention no threat of spyware/virii (as of yet).

tired of constantly running spybots and virus checks? tired of constantly running windows updates because of new security holes? yeah, i am too...

needless to say, i'll be getting one (and keeping my PC a well)

shock

before the mac mini was released i was looking at mini itx form factor, specificaly the nanode (www.nanode.com) however there was no set release date, and a major lack of power. my flat mate has got an ibook and have been playin round on it for a while, and ive got to say its an awesom operating system is that osx, the only problem i found was when i was playing music, no the oftware was exelent, however the sound output was aweful. well i suppose for a normal pc speaker user it would be fine but on my setup it sounded like arse. so the plan goes, get first paycheck from new job pay off credit card, buy mac mini 1.42 512 and 80gig harddrive and invest in a quality firewire sound card. maybe the eidrol UA-25 this will hopfully give me better sound quality than my revo 7.1 with a better OS and functionality.. :D

resault.

stu.

If it sounded bad, stuman, it was probably your setup or the music that was the problem. In my 13 years of Mac using, I've never encountered one that didn't have excellent audio output.

im probly gonna get one in a month or so... and ive got more than a cheap pc.... Athlon 64 3500+... going to upgrade it to dual 6600gt's SLI (eventually when the price drops 6800u's)

Black Morty Rackham said:
If it sounded bad, stuman, it was probably your setup or the music that was the problem. In my 13 years of Mac using, I've never encountered one that didn't have excellent audio output.

definatly the mac, tried playing a cd through it to see if it was the file and my sony pcdp plays nicley through the same cable. the mac stills lacked bass responce and emphasis in the mid section :(

stuman said:
definatly the mac, tried playing a cd through it to see if it was the file and my sony pcdp plays nicley through the same cable. the mac stills lacked bass responce and emphasis in the mid section :(
Odd.

Back