Mac mini question

cukoodukoo

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a small factor computer to connect to my hdtv.It's sole purpose would be to view streaming videos on the web on my HDTV. Browsing web while resting on my bed would be a rare and npossile secondary purpose.I would like to know if the mac mini would suffice this purpose.Any cheaper alternatives?

Where can I find the previous gen mini( the one with the DVD drive)?

What's the mini server?

Sorry for there newb questions.I just want to be certain before making the purchase

Could also check out the Apple TV. It's less than $100 and streams HD videos from the web.

I should be able to login to an online website that streams non hd content.I guess apple tv wouldn't fit the bill. I am presently using my macbook pro but i am looking into a more permanent solution

I have a mid 2011 non-dvd drive mac mini connected to my hdtv. I bought the $599 model and upgraded it to 4GB of ram. It streams 1080p with no problems. Media is so 2010, what in the world would anyone do with a DVD player? Just rip your DVDs with your macbook then copy them to the media server or whatever.

htpc.jpg

I am looking for a small factor computer to connect to my hdtv.It's sole purpose would be to view streaming videos on the web on my HDTV. Browsing web while resting on my bed would be a rare and npossile secondary purpose.I would like to know if the mac mini would suffice this purpose.Any cheaper alternatives?

Where can I find the previous gen mini( the one with the DVD drive)?

What's the mini server?

Sorry for there newb questions.I just want to be certain before making the purchase

Cheaper alternatives? Build your own SFF (small form factor) PC or buy a smaller PC.

Previous gen? Take a look on eBay. Also might have luck in the Apple store refurb section (none right now, but they turn over stock often). http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

Mini Server? Pretty much the same thing with slightly bumped up specs, also has dual hard drives standard and OSX server addons (very basic stuff really that is not much use for your use)

Apple TV is only 720 output.

it also will have a hard time streaming stuff from websites. I have a custom htpc in the living room and an AppleTV in the bedroom. The ATV is great for netflix and streaming from a shared drive (via jailbreak and XMBC), but it won't stream content from "other" sites very well (or at all).

The ATV is one or two updates away from being living room ready for the more advanced user. For my wife in the bedroom, it's fantastic.

Could also check out the Apple TV. It's less than $100 and streams HD videos* from the web.

*not all HD formats supported, namely the one you want

Fixed that for you.

Mini Server? Pretty much the same thing with slightly bumped up specs, also has dual hard drives standard and OSX server addons (very basic stuff really that is not much use for your use)

It could be argued that a mini used as a HTPC would have some legitimate benefit from having server software on it- since it could be used as a media serving hub for the whole household.

Ruahrc

iOS5 betas enable 1080p on the AppleTV 2 don't they? If I had the mini usb to usb cable I'd give it a go myself and try putting Plex on it.

eeh?

It's enabled on the ipad2, and is enabled on the rumored appletv3.

Back