Mac 9 Program on Mac OS X 10.3

williamp0044

Weaksauce
I just recently installed Panther on my G3 mac and I have finshed the installation. Now I try to install a children's game on the computer it tells me
Classics cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the start up disk to use."
It was a clean installtion with Mac OS X but I dont know what it is talking about Mac OS 9 sytem folder. I am a Apple noob so what shall I do.

"classic" is OS9.

What you need to do is install OS9 on your computer. You've got a G3 so it came with the computer, I believe.

Once you do that, you can launch OS9 from inside OSX, and thus run OS9 programs

in general it is that easy but if you actually erased the drive and just loaded OS X on the system you are going to have a few steps to do in order to even put OS 9 back on the system. First if you did not install the OS 9 drivers when you erased the drive you are going to have to do that first and in order to do that you will be erasing the drive again. I would recomend booting to the OS 9 install CD and go into drive setup, partition the drive to 2 partitions, then back to one (cleaner way to erase that way) then initalize from the install CD. Once you have done that then load OS 9 and upgrade to at least 9.1 but if you can get to 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 that is even better. Once you have done that then load 10.3 on the system and you should not have any problems accessing OS 9 or "Classic" applications

Damn so now I have to go out and get Mac OS 9 just to install a game . I thought mac was more compatible than that.

Originally posted by williamp0044
Damn so now I have to go out and get Mac OS 9 just to install a game . I thought mac was more compatible than that.

compatibility has NOTHING to do with it....they are totally different operating systems and have different drivers to access the system....that is like blaming your PC when you wipe it and load a different OS and your printer doesn't work because you don't have the right drivers

Actually it's more like getting mad and blaming your OS because you went out and bought a circa early '90s DOS game and it won't run on Windows XP. Go out and buy a newer game and you'll notice you won't have those problems.

Back