M3A2 Beta Project: Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, I see that it's shifted a bit now that you've mentioned it.
Still, from the images provided thus far it seems possible to add another "hole" above the existing ones, for a total of eight.
It wouldn't hurt the non-modular version, and could help make the modular one run a bit quieter at load, I suppose :)
Yeah, I could probably swing that. Add another intake slot.

Top down view with drives mocked in place. Currently rethinking the drive bracket design:

Top down view with 2.5" drives removed reveals 3.5" HDD:

Tight fit fot the USB3.0 and GPU power cables, but it does fit:

And this is what my evenings look like these days. After a long day at work and a few hours in the shop machining, after everyone goes to bed, I rock some SG Atlantis in the background and get to designing:

Curt,

This case is perfect. There is honestly no way to maximize space any better than you have. I can't wait to get my beta case. Have you decided if you are going to expand the case by a few millimeters? Thank for all the hard work. Have you reached out to Necere on trying to obtain a design patent?

incredible case, i love it. i also love that mousepad, where'd you get it? ive seen all of SG1, atlantis, and even universe. SG1 is one of my favorite shows of all time. :)

Is the problem with the drive bracket just the ODD? Could you make it two components? With the HDD bracket resting on 3 points instead of 4, using the 2 existing points on the bottom, and 1 in the middle of the front panel.

Does the ODD need such a substantial bracket? Could it be put in place with just a few smaller brackets?

Curt,

This case is perfect. There is honestly no way to maximize space any better than you have. I can't wait to get my beta case. Have you decided if you are going to expand the case by a few millimeters? Thank for all the hard work. Have you reached out to Necere on trying to obtain a design patent?
Far from perfect, but thank you!

Actually, I just might bump the width up by about 2mm, just to make sure the GPU clears the back of the USB ports.

I haven't sought a patent yet, but everything up til now has been documented, time/date stamped and witnessed.

incredible case, i love it. i also love that mousepad, where'd you get it? ive seen all of SG1, atlantis, and even universe. SG1 is one of my favorite shows of all time. :)
Thanks!

I had the mouse pad made on one of those print websites. I have a small one and a matching place mat sized on that you see in the picture.

I'd say SG1 is by the far the best. I just started watching Atlantis and it is pretty good. On season 2 now. And from what little I saw of SGU, it looked interesting.

Is the problem with the drive bracket just the ODD? Could you make it two components? With the HDD bracket resting on 3 points instead of 4, using the 2 existing points on the bottom, and 1 in the middle of the front panel.

Does the ODD need such a substantial bracket? Could it be put in place with just a few smaller brackets?
The main issue is the on the ODD part of the bracket, yes. I don't know why I didn't catch it earlier, but there wasn't enough room between the bottom of the ODD and the top of the PSU to fit the drive bracket. Only 0.8mm and the drive bracket is 1.6mm thick.

I've got what I think is a pretty good solution, but I need to validate it before I go making a bunch of them. It's a simpler one piece design with fewer bends.

Far from perfect, but thank you!

Actually, I just might bump the width up by about 2mm, just to make sure the GPU clears the back of the USB ports.

I haven't sought a patent yet, but everything up til now has been documented, time/date stamped and witnessed.

Thanks!

I had the mouse pad made on one of those print websites. I have a small one and a matching place mat sized on that you see in the picture.

I'd say SG1 is by the far the best. I just started watching Atlantis and it is pretty good. On season 2 now. And from what little I saw of SGU, it looked interesting.

yeah i liked atlantis too, but SG1 is definitely way better. universe is completely different and honestly i didnt like it much. SG1 and atlantis both had pretty big followings but they didnt do too well because of the huge budget that scifi shows like that need. universe they kept everything on the ship so they could have like 5 sets and barely any special effects. it ended up being just a drama with people squabbling amongst themselves and hardly any action or interesting scifi thems.

SG1 had Richard Dean Anderson... nuff said...

P.S. I love your work CMadki4!

so when are the next set of batches being started?
The next batches will likely proceed feedback from the beta model testers. Beta models are not yet completed. Due to some component inference issues that I had not foreseen quite a few parts are having to be remade. This will cause a small delay. But I ship them as they are completed.

So the second batch of M3A2 cases (including the Mini) depends heavily on the success or failure of the beta cases. The demand is high and the time required to machine and finish one case is long, so I'll need to evaluate that as well to make sure the product is profitable. The beta case development and production has been everything but profitable, haha.
how would the gpu connect?
A PCI riser and spacer, but I see you figured that out ;)

Sorry for the delays, but I have a few setbacks that I'm dealing with this past week and a new one that just icropped up 20 minutes ago.

#1: Interference issues with GPU power connectors and the USB3.0 ports
#2: Drive bracket interference with PSU and proper alignment with front panel slot for ODD
#3: breakage while machining small acrylic lenses for IR
#4: And just 20 minutes ago, boot disk drive failure on the CNC PC.... Yay!

Dealing with the issues as fast as I can. But I don't want to make any costly mistakes just to rush through things. I'll keep you posted.

It's always something...

That's ok. I'd rather have a case later, with the bugs worked out than a case now, with all kinds of issues.

The CNC PC has been swapped out for a backup PC. I believe some really serious static generated by the vacuum system on the router somehow got back to the hdd and killed it. I've temporarily substituted the control PC for a standalone desktop.

I have made some modifications to the design and regenerated the machine code for most of them. I'm going to try to crank out a generic test model case today and see how everything fits.

Modifications include:

1. larger GPU intake vent
  2. larger PSU intake vent
  3. redesigned drive bracket and PSU bracket
  4. motherboard back on the taller 1/4" standoffs
  5. shifted motherboard for better alignment to rear I/O shield
  6. IR lens/mount designed
I'll keep you all posted with updates. Thank you for your patience and continued support and feedback!

So with the larger standoffs, is the CPU cooler height going to be finalized at 68mm?

Also, as I start to look around at cases more earnestly for a build that's going to happen sometime this summer, it just reminds me how special a compact gaming case like this that also fits perfectly into a TV stand / component rack and also blends with AV components is. There's very few stylish HTPC-style cases that fit a dual slot card, especially at the length for some of the high-end cards.

I really hope you decide to continue with further production after the betas, even if it does cost a premium to the user.

So with the larger standoffs, is the CPU cooler height going to be finalized at 68mm?

Also, as I start to look around at cases more earnestly for a build that's going to happen sometime this summer, it just reminds me how special a compact gaming case like this that also fits perfectly into a TV stand / component rack and also blends with AV components is. There's very few stylish HTPC-style cases that fit a dual slot card, especially at the length for some of the high-end cards.

I really hope you decide to continue with further production after the betas, even if it does cost a premium to the user.
Once I press the taller standoffs in and measure I'll have a more exact dimension. But Yes, it will be 68-69.5mm. Not sure where the discrepency is, but with the short standoffs I was actualling measuring almost 72mm CPU clearance when by the 3D model is should have been 70mm.

I appreciate the kind words. It does seem like the project merits continuation. If I can reduce the amount of time it takes to make one case that would be great. Right now it takes too long for 'mass' production. But it's totally doable to do a few here and there at the current rate.

Plans on posting any pics from your proposed changes? Keep up the good work!

Plans on posting any pics from your proposed changes? Keep up the good work!
Absolutely! Most of the changes will not be obvious since it has been just a few millimeters here and there. But the IR lens and new drive bracket design will actually looks a little different. I'll try to post some screenshots tonight.

Pardon the screenshots rather than my usual renderings. I had to sell my CAD laptop to pay for machine and car repairs and this old desktop just doesn't have the balls to render.

Seen below are a few small and not so small changes. First, the drive bracket clears the stack-up of the PSU and ODD by by supporting the ODD from the top rather than the bottom. The PSU shroud/mounting bracket is larger to also support the ODD from underneath. The motherboard standoffs are taller and have been shifted towards the right side of the case (notice the cutouts/reliefs in the side panel to clear the new standoff locations).

Below shows the IR lens. It will look darker with the top panel on.

This is how the IR receiver and lens are mounted. These are two 4.5mm concealed standoffs, much like the motherboard standoffs only shorter. The aluminum bracket that comes with the IR receivers is fastened to these standoffs. No visible screws. Nice and clean.

The bottom panel, where the GPU and PSU intake their air, has been slightly modified though not easily noticeable. The PSU intake vents have been elongated as well as an 8th slot added. The GPU intake has also been elongated and centered more on the panel for better location relative to the intake fan of a variety of GPUs and GPU cooler types.

That's all for now. Busy busy. Just returned from a visit to ultrasound with my wife. Turns out my next baby is another girl! Ahhh! But we are very excited. Nice and healthy from the looks of it.

Off to the shop for some late night repairs!

The new changes look great, but one thing to consider is that if anyone wants the USB variant of the Inteset IR, that you need to position the bracket the other way:

0000138_usb_internal_infrared_ir_receiver_only_with_cable_and_mounting_bracket.jpeg

Look in previous posts. He said it was 68-70mm, something like that.

Your website says you do custom one of a kind cases for people.

Could I get this case but with a height of 95mm? 1.5mm sheet aluminum is fine since adding height with your extrusion sides isn't feasible right now.

I'd also want different top, bottom, and rear cutouts than what you have with this case. And a different PSU mounting bracket.

How much would that sort of work run me?

Sorry if this is a little OT.

Last edited:
Your website says you do custom one of a kind cases for people.

Could I get this case but with a height of 95mm? 1.5mm sheet aluminum is fine since adding height with your extrusion sides isn't feasible right now.

I'd also want different top, bottom, and rear cutouts than what you have with this case. And a different PSU mounting bracket.

How much would that sort of work run me?

Sorry if this is a little OT.
Best place for this kind of request is either PM or my website's contact me page. Be sure to included your hardware specs.

The new changes look great, but one thing to consider is that if anyone wants the USB variant of the Inteset IR, that you need to position the bracket the other way:

0000138_usb_internal_infrared_ir_receiver_only_with_cable_and_mounting_bracket.jpeg
I noticed that too, but I think with a small modification (opening up the 9.5mm hole on the L-bracket) the IR receiver on the USB version can be oriented in the same way as the ASRock or Intel CIR. I've got ASRock and USB versions here in front of me. The ASRock IR receiver is almost perfectly centered on the PCB, the USB is just barely off center. Opening up that large hole on the short side of the bracket should work. Plus, the lens will help refract the IR light from the remote around. No one ordered the USB version, so I have time to test if need be.

Keeping an eye on the competition.

- graphics card is on riser board.
- price is $499 MSRP but that includes mobo and PSU.
- no mention of size dimension but it's small. one picture shows a guy's hand near the case.
- unique iKnob for turning on power and status. inspiration from BMW.
- side panels are held by magnets.

ASRock M8

... removed pics ...

This is being discussed in its own thread and a few other places. Not really the place to post it here. A little counterproductive if you really see it as "competition".

Any updates!?!? It has been three days since your last post and I am dying over here, haha. Also, Congrats on the girl!

Any updates!?!? It has been three days since your last post and I am dying over here, haha. Also, Congrats on the girl!
Thank you!

I'm actually on vacation this week. I took a week to unwind and to work on these cases, so I should have more updates by the end of this week.

New SFXs PSUs from High Power @Computex 2013 This is good news because so far we only had Silverstone 450W non-modular version which wasn't haswell ready, and a modular one which do is, but audible noisier also. At least there are more options for those who consider SFX and Mini-ITX form factors.

I've also been looking at several Mini-ITX cases shown at this event. And I still think M3 cases has the edge when it comes to size given its cheeky design. M3A2 isn't small enough for me nonetheless, and still looking for the 7- liters one (full card length) I proposed earlier or something like it.

Greetings.

New SFXs PSUs from High Power @Computex 2013 This is good news because so far we only had Silverstone 450W non-modular version which wasn't haswell ready, and a modular one which do is, but audible noisier also. At least there are more options for those who consider SFX and Mini-ITX form factors.

I've also been looking at several Mini-ITX cases shown at this event. And I still think M3 cases has the edge when it comes to size given its cheeky design. M3A2 isn't small enough for me nonetheless, and still looking for the 7- liters one (full card length) I proposed earlier or something like it.

Greetings.
I had failed to see that there were new SFX psu on computex! Great! And they even are 80 GOLD! :D
More optioins for us now! But they look funny being "squarish", I wonder if they fit alright on cases like SG06 or FT03-mini :p

Btw, the list of Haswell compatible psus on Silverstone page says that all their SFX psus are compatible. :p

They don't look squarish, they are actually squared. And that seems to be for a reason, the bigger top fan they have may emmit less noise. And given where and when they're being shown at, they better be haswell optimized (which is different from the compatibility you mention).

CMadki4 might have some thoughts on this.

Yeah, I have read of lots of people in this forum complaining about the noise on the SFX PSU from Silverstone, but because of the differentiated dimension on the High Power SFX PSU I was worried it might not even fit in the case CMadki4 is designing. :(

Could you please explain me, or give me a link where I could learn the difference between compatible and optimized PSU for haswell? I couldn't quite find it on google :( and I plan to soon get a haswell based build too, so. :p (a list of the optimized ones would also be apreciated :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back