M2 sooner than we think(Jan/Feb 2006)?

BrainDanceR

Weaksauce
Kyle posted this recently:
A few sources are telling us that they have the new AMD socket "M2" CPUs up and running in test labs all over the world that hit in the 2.4 to 2.6GHz range. The new socket M2 is a 940-pin CPU that carries with it a new integrated DDR2-667 memory controller. First thoughts are that these CPUs seem to be very solid with their new DDR2 legs. Hopefully we will be able to report back to you on the overclockability of the new memory controllers and CPUs soon.

As it stands now, look for AMD's new socket M2 to make its debut in late January or February.

I honestly thought the soonest we were going to see the M2 was going to be April(and then some...), but if the M2 is to be out in 3-4 months, I might just put off my upgrade for now :D

Looking forward to seeing some benchies.
(afterall benchies are so much more exciting than actually USING a computer) ;)

But I think overclockers.com was saying that due to FAB36 (or something) problems, there will be a delay. So don't expect anything new for awhile. Also, AMD does not seem to have to rush releasing these things as Intel has its own problems. From that article, I am getting a feeling that nothing significant will be happening for a few quarters.
Of course, all of this are speculations. personally, I would like the M2 to be released soon. By may, the skiing season will be over and I can give this rig in sig to the parents and build myself a new one.

magnuspah said:
But I think overclockers.com was saying that due to FAB36 (or something) problems, there will be a delay.

I think they were talking about 65nm processors, not M2 socket based ones

OK...wonder if their resources are spent on sorting that mess out...will it affect release time of the M2..
Besides, with the lead in performance by the dual cores and A64, there really is no need to release the M2...except for bragging rights with intel

the x2's are selling great and beating intels ass right now. i dont think there is any need to AMD to release a new architecture and create competition for their own chips. i say nothing happens till AT LEAST second quarter

Johnnyscans said:
the x2's are selling great and beating intels ass right now. i dont think there is any need to AMD to release a new architecture and create competition for their own chips. i say nothing happens till AT LEAST second quarter

I say kick Intel while they're down and give me M2! Screw Socket 939.

Based on overclockers.com

"With the delay in 65nm processors from AMD; it looks like whatever we have today is pretty much all we can expect from them until 2007.

True, they're likely to tweak the process a bit, and moving to DDR2 ought to give a little boost to the numbers, but the numbers we'll see in December 2006 won't be significantly greater than those we had in July 2005."

Again speculations. I think the only ones who know what is going on are the AMD marketting people, design and manufacturing engineers, and execs....

magnuspah said:
Based on overclockers.com

"With the delay in 65nm processors from AMD; it looks like whatever we have today is pretty much all we can expect from them until 2007.

True, they're likely to tweak the process a bit, and moving to DDR2 ought to give a little boost to the numbers, but the numbers we'll see in December 2006 won't be significantly greater than those we had in July 2005."

Again speculations. I think the only ones who know what is going on are the AMD marketting people, design and manufacturing engineers, and execs....

90% of what Ed spews is complete bull. He's just whining that Fab36 isn't starting 100% 65nm on day 1. AMD's 90nm is easily able to keep up with Intel's 65nm, so AMD is going to take the transition more gently to avoid problems (not because of problems).

the snake said:
one question on these M2 procs, are they all dual core ?

No, Orleans will be a single core (Athlon64 and Sempron), and Windsor will be the dual core part.

well... the "hit" makes me worried. that normally refers to overclocking. if they can only oc that far, either people suck at oc'ing, or amd isn't putting much effort into making good samples yet.

(cf)Eclipse said:
well... the "hit" makes me worried. that normally refers to overclocking. if they can only oc that far, either people suck at oc'ing, or amd isn't putting much effort into making good samples yet.

Or it's an 8 stage pipeline now and 2.6ghz is a speed that will bring unbelievable performance.

(cf)Eclipse said:

OR, AMD is paying more attention to efficiency in architecture, as opposed to raw power, which is nice.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i highly doubt amd is making any changes to the base architecture.

We know for a fact they aren't. But I have no fear that there will be tweaks that make 2.4GHz seem not so bad. Added memory bandwidth will help in games, and of course DDR2 will bring about good overall latencies.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i highly doubt amd is making any changes to the base architecture.

Not really what I was getting at. I am just saying that maybe they are trying to make the processor run "better" not just "faster". Instead of falling into the trap of simply increasing the clock speed, they are making tiny revisions to the architecture for an overall more efficient procesoor.

starsfan7 said:
they are making tiny revisions to the architecture for an overall more efficient procesoor.
and i said that i highly doubt that they are making any changes. i understood what you meant, i'm just saying that it's very unlike amd to tweak things like that, thus i doubt it'll happen ;)
plus, they don't need unknown variables messing things up with their transition to a new socket and DDR2. maybe further down the line after 65nm has played it's hand in increasing transistor density we'll see some fun things :cool:

of course, this is all simply my opinion. take it with as big a grain of salt as you wish

(cf)Eclipse said:
and i said that i highly doubt that they are making any changes. i understood what you meant, i'm just saying that it's very unlike amd to tweak things like that, thus i doubt it'll happen ;)
plus, they don't need unknown variables messing things up with their transition to a new socket and DDR2. maybe further down the line after 65nm has played it's hand in increasing transistor density we'll see some fun things :cool:

of course, this is all simply my opinion. take it with as big a grain of salt as you wish

What you are saying makes sense. Change only one variable at a time so you can control quality and reliability more easily. It would be foolish of AMD to change the socket, the process, and the core all at the same time if they don't have to.

I can't wait for M2! I am holding off upgrading my Newcastle 3400+...

I doubt M2 in Jan or Feb. They had stated that it would be closer to the halfway point and full steam towards the end. Who knows they might change game plans. What caught my eye was that they're already looking at ddr3 and they haven't done 2 yet.... hmmm

AMD has already said that they will be using DDR2 on the socket M2 board(s940), as well as there server counterpart (s1207, not sure of actual socket name) DDR3 probably wont be in use until late 2006/early 2007. Not that i wouldnt Love DDR3 and the next sockets/new chips by then. (65nm processors will be nice...)

RaphaelVinceti said:
AMD has already said that they will be using DDR2 on the socket M2 board(s940), as well as there server counterpart (s1207, not sure of actual socket name) DDR3 probably wont be in use until late 2006/early 2007. Not that i wouldnt Love DDR3 and the next sockets/new chips by then. (65nm processors will be nice...)

The 1207 pin socket is "Socket F"

that's about it, that we know of. possibly the new hypertransport spec, but that won't do much good outside of the server environment

Since they are only adding one more pin to the socket, I would think that the size of the cpu should stay the same right? If thats the case I hope they don't change the layout for cooling. If they can keep the same hold downs as 939, that will make some people a little more happy. Another reason that they're going to M2 is that DDR2 is now the same price as DDR and could even get cheaper down the road. They can't left behind using older technology.

How long will we see S939 CPU's from AMD after the M2's come out?

Will AMD continue to come out with new models on S939 and if so, for how long?

-fro

Imitation said:
Since they are only adding one more pin to the socket, I would think that the size of the cpu should stay the same right? If thats the case I hope they don't change the layout for cooling. If they can keep the same hold downs as 939, that will make some people a little more happy. Another reason that they're going to M2 is that DDR2 is now the same price as DDR and could even get cheaper down the road. They can't left behind using older technology.

M2 has been slated for a while to use the same K8/K9 retention bracket that 754, 940, and 939 used.

afropuff said:
How long will we see S939 CPU's from AMD after the M2's come out?

Will AMD continue to come out with new models on S939 and if so, for how long?

-fro

Socket 939 has pretty much peaked, unless you're waiting to buy the next $1000 CPU:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2476&p=2

San Diego 3.0 GHz 1MB Socket 939 Q1'06
Athlon FX-57 San Diego 2.8 GHz 1MB Socket 939 Now
Athlon 64 X2 >=5000+ Windsor? 2.6 GHz? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 X2 >=5000+ Toledo? 2.6 GHz? Socket 939 Q1'06
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Windsor 2.4 GHz 1MB? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 4000+ Orleans 2.4 GHz 1MB? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4 GHz 512K? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2.2 GHz 512K? Socket M2 Q2'06

Nice link.

I don't think I'll be hopping aboard anytime soon. Looks like a very pricey upgrade. looks like the 754 isn't dead yet either...breathing it's last breathe.... Sempron lovers.

aldamon said:
Socket 939 has pretty much peaked, unless you're waiting to buy the next $1000 CPU:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2476&p=2

San Diego 3.0 GHz 1MB Socket 939 Q1'06
Athlon FX-57 San Diego 2.8 GHz 1MB Socket 939 Now
Athlon 64 X2 >=5000+ Windsor? 2.6 GHz? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 X2 >=5000+ Toledo? 2.6 GHz? Socket 939 Q1'06
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Windsor 2.4 GHz 1MB? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 4000+ Orleans 2.4 GHz 1MB? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4 GHz 512K? Socket M2 Q2'06
Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2.2 GHz 512K? Socket M2 Q2'06

The 939 didn't last very long at all :mad:

afropuff said:
The 939 didn't last very long at all :mad:
so? we all knew socket changes would happen a lot more frequently with the memory controller on the cpu. there are tradeoffs you must make to get the performance benefits of the integrated memory controller. "frequent" socket changes is one of those. if you ask me, i think it's worth it. i normally buy a new mobo with a new cpu anyway ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
so? we all knew socket changes would happen a lot more frequently with the memory controller on the cpu. there are tradeoffs you must make to get the performance benefits of the integrated memory controller. "frequent" socket changes is one of those. if you ask me, i think it's worth it. i normally buy a new mobo with a new cpu anyway ;)

yah, but the S939 was seen as "the socket for future upgrades", like it was going to last or something.

I got a 939 mobo a few months after they came out and my 3000+. Now, I don't even know if it is worth even staying on 939, because w/my 3000+ OC'd, nothing from AMD in 939 looks worth upgrading to, even the 5000+

-fro

afropuff said:
yah, but the S939 was seen as "the socket for future upgrades", like it was going to last or something.

I got a 939 mobo a few months after they came out and my 3000+. Now, I don't even know if it is worth even staying on 939, because w/my 3000+ OC'd, nothing from AMD in 939 looks worth upgrading to, even the 5000+

-fro

I bought into 939 also with a 3000+, honestly I'm waiting for X2s to fall far in price and then I'll make the move to dual core. Giving me at least one upgrade within the 939 socket.

Back