M2 sooner than we think(Jan/Feb 2006)?

afropuff said:
The 939 didn't last very long at all :mad:

Yea but one board can run a 3800+ NewCastle or a 4800+ X2.
1 board, ~20 months on top, you'd be hard pressed to find a socket in the last 6 years or so that did any better.

I never understood why people whine about buying a $100 ~ $150 mobo when buying a $500 ~ $1000 chip. Same thing with ultra high end vid cards, if you want the best, you're probably going to have to pay for it. It's a whole new memory standard, of course it'll need a new mobo, same thing with PCI-X and AGP, there were architectural changes made to vid cards and they required more power.

I don't even know how many times I've had to swap out faulty mobos because of shitty leaky capacitors, they weren't made to last, they were made to work with ONE(1) generation of chips, that AMD was gratious enough to make dual core chips available on the same socket was amazing. Don't expect that every time.

Rabidfox said:
I never understood why people whine about buying a $100 ~ $150 mobo when buying a $500 ~ $1000 chip. Same thing with ultra high end vid cards, if you want the best, you're probably going to have to pay for it. It's a whole new memory standard, of course it'll need a new mobo, same thing with PCI-X and AGP, there were architectural changes made to vid cards and they required more power.

I don't even know how many times I've had to swap out faulty mobos because of shitty leaky capacitors, they weren't made to last, they were made to work with ONE(1) generation of chips, that AMD was gratious enough to make dual core chips available on the same socket was amazing. Don't expect that every time.

I completely agree. And since I'm always about a year or two behind the times, I think I'll finally ditch my 2600xp-m system and go s939 in about March, just after m2 hits the stands :)

Until dual cores show major gains in games over single cores at same speeds, I won't bother with them.

-fro

afropuff said:
Until dual cores show major gains in games over single cores at same speeds, I won't bother with them.

-fro

But they kick butt for folding. ;) And for doing more than one thing at time.

You have a point on the pricing issue, it might make sense, seeing that the FX series has always advanced by two's on odd numbers, 53/55/57. Throwing a 60 into the mix doesn't make sense, unless they're dual core with unlocked multi's like the rest of the FX line....hold up....I just got a [H]ard-on over a dual core FX chip, does that make me a silicosexual?

Johnnyscans said:
the x2's are selling great and beating intels ass right now. i dont think there is any need to AMD to release a new architecture and create competition for their own chips. i say nothing happens till AT LEAST second quarter

Intel tried to do that with the 3.2 GHz P4. Look what happend to them.

I see a lot of ppl using this smartguardian... is that a DFI thing? I can't find it.

I want M2 just so I can be as obnoxious to 939 owners as they've been to 754 owners. EOL. POS. Mainstream garbage. That kind of thing. That and I want to play with DDR2 just like (cf)Eclipse before something happens in the RAM market and it gets expensive.

Rabidfox said:
You have a point on the pricing issue, it might make sense, seeing that the FX series has always advanced by two's on odd numbers, 53/55/57. Throwing a 60 into the mix doesn't make sense, unless they're dual core with unlocked multi's like the rest of the FX line....hold up....I just got a [H]ard-on over a dual core FX chip, does that make me a silicosexual?

I hope thats not a bad thing.. I get [H]ard-on over the thought of that damn PhysX chip thats supposed to be coming out... and the 7800GTX... and the thought of a DC FX... damn.. maybe i should just marry my computer...

RaphaelVinceti said:
I hope thats not a bad thing.. I get [H]ard-on over the thought of that damn PhysX chip thats supposed to be coming out... and the 7800GTX... and the thought of a DC FX... damn.. maybe i should just marry my computer...
I'm a sadistic PC lover, DIE IHS! DIE!

(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, it's a dfi program that works with their mobo's, kinda like asusprobe

It's actually a winbond program that's compatible with any board using that ITE chip.

robberbaron said:
It's actually a winbond program that's compatible with any board using that ITE chip.
I couldn't see it only working on DFI boards a feasable answer, but I didn't want to look like an idiot if it was true :)

wow its definately good news that it will be coming out sooner rather than later. Hopefully it will outperform 939 by a large bit so that i can justify myself to go m2 rather than 939 and stick out for ddr3.

Josh_B said:
I beg your pardon? :D
that made me make waffles ;)
having used it, assprobe would be a good description for that damn program :(

however, i'm not seeing much more than a 10% increase in performance from ddr400 to ddr2-667 at best, unless something unexpected happens ;)
however, with increased clockspeed and increased # of cores, bandwidth and low latency is even more important. hopefully ddr2 will end up being able to fullfill the latter requirement more than it has been lately.

(cf)Eclipse said:
that made me make waffles ;)
having used it, assprobe would be a good description for that damn program :(

however, i'm not seeing much more than a 10% increase in performance from ddr400 to ddr2-667 at best, unless something unexpected happens ;)
however, with increased clockspeed and increased # of cores, bandwidth and low latency is even more important. hopefully ddr2 will end up being able to fullfill the latter requirement more than it has been lately.

I predict better multitasking ;)

To M2 or not to M2. (To be honest, I only read the topic)
Im seriously looking at the 939 A64s but seeing this is on the horizon that probably means I shouldnt go for it. My main thing is Axp->939 I can at least recycle my ram (PC3200) but with the M2, I would have to jump to DDR2... Will there be a significant jump in speeds due to the switch (theoretical one I know its not out) and will it make me feel obsolete the way these A64s make me feel already?

awdark said:
To M2 or not to M2. (To be honest, I only read the topic)
Im seriously looking at the 939 A64s but seeing this is on the horizon that probably means I shouldnt go for it. My main thing is Axp->939 I can at least recycle my ram (PC3200) but with the M2, I would have to jump to DDR2... Will there be a significant jump in speeds due to the switch (theoretical one I know its not out) and will it make me feel obsolete the way these A64s make me feel already?

Will you notice the difference of DDR->DDR2? Probably not.

But if you're on an Athlon XP.. go for an Opteron 144 and overclock, it's cheap and damn well worth it if you get the CABNE Week 30 stepping, lots are getting 3ghz.

(cf)Eclipse said:
awdark said:
Will there be a significant jump in speeds due to the switch (theoretical one I know its not out) and will it make me feel obsolete the way these A64s make me feel already?
got you covered ;)

I don't think you'll see a performance increase with just the DDR2, not many things (read: realworld apps) are bandwidth bound on the A64. That all changes when you start adding cores to the package. There might be an advantage when A64 dual cores start hitting 3ghz, ddr400 might bottleneck it. DDR2 667 should be good until the jump to quad cores, then I'm assuming they'll use DDR3 whateverspeedtheyneed.

Just curious, since I wasn't really around when the 754 1st came out... what was the concensus when socket A was around and 754 was coming out???

Similar like 939 to m2?

What about 754-939?

MC FLMJIG said:
Just curious, since I wasn't really around when the 754 1st came out... what was the concensus when socket A was around and 754 was coming out???

Similar like 939 to m2?

What about 754-939?
we loved s754 cause it could hold a64's. 939 was kinda unheard of at the time. ;)

MC FLMJIG said:

Similar like 939 to m2?

What about 754-939?

its very different

The A64s perform a lot better than Athlons. This time the major difference is ddr to ddr2 which should show a small improvement in some applications and probably none (that are noticeable without benchmarking) in lots of them

CZ100B said:
90% of what Ed spews is complete bull. He's just whining that Fab36 isn't starting 100% 65nm on day 1. AMD's 90nm is easily able to keep up with Intel's 65nm, so AMD is going to take the transition more gently to avoid problems (not because of problems).

I agree 100%

I have never come across someone on the internet (not forums though) that is as wrong as ed. He ends up with the dumbest conclusions from the same info everyone else gets. The logic is missing

(cf)Eclipse said:
and i said that i highly doubt that they are making any changes. i understood what you meant, i'm just saying that it's very unlike amd to tweak things like that, thus i doubt it'll happen ;)

I agree with starsfan

The will make minor revisions and not necessarily even publicize those. I don't know how large the errata list is for the current cpus but thats one good place to start

Josh_B said:
What you are saying makes sense. Change only one variable at a time so you can control quality and reliability more easily. It would be foolish of AMD to change the socket, the process, and the core all at the same time if they don't have to.

I can't wait for M2! I am holding off upgrading my Newcastle 3400+...

they aren't changing the process for teh M2s unless they come out towards the end of 2006

Back