M17X r3 vs G74SX

meyerkev

Limp Gawd
So I bought a Clevo P170HM, it came in broken, and I returned it (for a very expensive restocking fee. Do not buy Ava-Direct).

So I need a similar computer. good 17" 1080p screen, high end GPU, potential for Blu-Ray, potential for 16GB RAM, potential for 2 HDD. It' s looking like my only two non-Clevo options are the Alienware M17x r3, and the ASUS G74SX (Love to hear of others, preferably with a backlit keyboard). Both end up coming out around the same price when I configure them (just north of $2500). Alienware has a better GPU (6970m vs 560m), ASUS has Blu-ray, both have switchable graphics, both have backlit keyboards, both have USB 3.0.

So I was wondering: What's the major differences between the two? Are there any horror stories anyone has heard regarding the two computers? Are there any other options for high-end non-Clevo gaming?

I know it's last gen tech, but the Asus G73SW-A1 is an amazing machine.. and with the new revision all the cooling issues and stability problems have been resolved. It's QuadCore Sandy Bridge (latest rev.), 8 GB DDR3, GTX 460M. Dual 500 GB Hybrid 7200 RPM HDD's. 17.3" 1080p. blu-ray reader, etc. and it can be had for $1600 or less on amazon (the $100 rebate program just expired).

I just bought one and it was so worth the money... I suspect the G74SX will have some of the launch problems that the G73 did, so be careful. I know the 560M is the latest gen but it's not proven yet in terms of stability / cooling within the Asus platform.

I highly, highly, highly recommend the G73SW-A1. freakin fanastic latest revision.

Dell's (alienware) are just not worth the money you spend and what you get.

you paid a restocking fee for something that was broken.......................?

you paid a restocking fee for something that was broken.......................?

It's a 15% restock fee to return it. And I paid with a debit card so I couldn't get a chargeback (And I did try, but they wouldn't do it without a known return date, and Ava-Direct wouldn't let me return it without agreeing to the restock fee. So now I've agreed to the restock fee..).

I know it's last gen tech, but the Asus G73SW-A1 is an amazing machine.. and with the new revision all the cooling issues and stability problems have been resolved. It's QuadCore Sandy Bridge (latest rev.), 8 GB DDR3, GTX 460M. Dual 500 GB Hybrid 7200 RPM HDD's. 17.3" 1080p. blu-ray reader, etc. and it can be had for $1600 or less on amazon (the $100 rebate program just expired).

I just bought one and it was so worth the money... I suspect the G74SX will have some of the launch problems that the G73 did, so be careful. I know the 560M is the latest gen but it's not proven yet in terms of stability / cooling within the Asus platform.

I highly, highly, highly recommend the G73SW-A1. freakin fanastic latest revision.

Dell's (alienware) are just not worth the money you spend and what you get.

Well, since the 2630QM doesn't support VT-d, I'd end up upgrading to a 2720QM, and that just about throws out every price advantage the ASUS has (as that upgrade costs $349 at both resellers I've been able to find vs. ~$150 on Alienware). Meanwhile, the Alienware has better graphics (and both laptops do some form of switchable graphics AFAIK, so there's no advantage there) and a better warranty, so it's basically a coin flip.

I'm leaning Alienware at the moment as a lot of my friends have Alienware, and they haven't had any major issues AFAIK.

Last edited:
Alienware is not worth the price premium, but the Asus screen may be of questionable quality (the G73 certainly was), and I think it's absurd to pay for a gaming laptop just to end up with a mediocre screen.

My solution was to get a refurb Alienware. Same warranty, $500 lower price, problem solved.

Also, a restocking fee for a broken item is absurd. Is that stated in policy? What you went through sounds like extortion, not knowing all the details. Make sure you leave them a review on Resellerratings.com: it will warn away others.

Also, a restocking fee for a broken item is absurd. Is that stated in policy? What you went through sounds like extortion, not knowing all the details. Make sure you leave them a review on Resellerratings.com: it will warn away others.

The short version is that it showed up, the Vertex 3 started hanging, they said that it was functional because it booted up and that tech support couldn't do anything. I said "Screw it, I don't want to deal with the problems (MBP is on it's 3rd Mobo, and will be 4th as soon as I can get it into the shop so I know of what I speak), and returned it.

Personally, I would have called the BBB and threatened to besmirch the company's name in every online outlet available. Shit is not functional just because it happens to boot up once, anymore than a car is functional because it fires up once and then gets one mile down the road before the fucking wheels fall off.

Hopefully that's lesson learned though - never pay for big-ticket items with debit. Pay with CC, collect rewards, pay off CC immediately.

Personally, I would have called the BBB and threatened to besmirch the company's name in every online outlet available. Shit is not functional just because it happens to boot up once, anymore than a car is functional because it fires up once and then gets one mile down the road before the fucking wheels fall off.

Hopefully that's lesson learned though - never pay for big-ticket items with debit. Pay with CC, collect rewards, pay off CC immediately.

And that's the wierd part. They ran it through some massive burn-in tests and it passed all of them. So either something happened between here and there, or they are lying about the burn-in tests they run.

It doesn't matter though: if it gets to you defective, that's what matters. They should have sent a replacement SSD with factory restored OS, at the least, rather than whine about what tests they supposedly ran.

I mean can you imagine getting a video card from Newegg defective, and Newegg or EVGA saying "but but it worked fine before!"

Yeah, it sucks. But oh well.

OK, threadjack over. So to repeat the original question, does anyone have any horror stories re: G74SX or M17Xr3? Any reason why one is better then the other? When I toss in a 2720QM, Blu-Ray, and 16 GB RAM (third-party), they both end up being about the same price, and the Alienware has a better warranty, better graphics (5970m with whatever Alienware's switchable graphics solution is), and a better screen (though how are the XOTICPC optional screens? There's a matte one and a glossy one for ~$180).

//Also, I am technically a Microsoft employee for three more weeks, so I get a 2% discount on all Alienware products, which is ~$50 at these configurations.

Love my G73 and M11x. I know that doesn't help out much, but I'm very picky when it comes to PC's that I don't build myself and I love both of these machines.

Cant speak for the G74, but I've owned both an m17x r3 and a G73. All things equal (same CPU, GPU), I preferred the form factor of the G73. The keyboard on the m17 was far easier to work with, however.

A shame you had a bad xp with Sager/Clevo -- I prefer the p170hm and p150hm any day over th m17 or g-series. To be clear, almost any retailer/reseller makes you pay a restocking fee on a laptops you return instead of having it repaired.

On a side note, remember when Dell EPP discount was 11%...? Sigh... They let too much riff-raff in who ruined it for us real affiliates.

Cant speak for the G74, but I've owned both an m17x r3 and a G73. All things equal (same CPU, GPU), I preferred the form factor of the G73. The keyboard on the m17 was far easier to work with, however.

A shame you had a bad xp with Sager/Clevo -- I prefer the p170hm and p150hm any day over th m17 or g-series. To be clear, almost any retailer/reseller makes you pay a restocking fee on a laptops you return instead of having it repaired.

On a side note, remember when Dell EPP discount was 11%...? Sigh... They let too much riff-raff in who ruined it for us real affiliates.

AvaDirect. Sager still has a 30 day no questions asked, money back policy. Also, everyone else has a bit where if it's defective, you get your money back.

Eh fark it, I'll just call my bank and get a cashback tomorrow. Tell them not to bother refunding me.

Last edited:
Own a M17xR3. Screen is excellent quality, (is glossy...>.<)

Overall I'm very, very happy with the performance and the warranty, all that. I am NOT a big fan of the kinda-cheap plastic construction that the body is made of. I wish they'd kept the same style as the r2 with the upgraded components..

Own a M17xR3. Screen is excellent quality, (is glossy...>.<)

Overall I'm very, very happy with the performance and the warranty, all that. I am NOT a big fan of the kinda-cheap plastic construction that the body is made of. I wish they'd kept the same style as the r2 with the upgraded components..

Is the build quality a problem? Or does it just feel cheap? I'm typing this on a MBP, so any computer is gonna feel like a downgrade, and I've accepted that. Also, I'm okay with glossy screens, as I won't see the sun from September to April (CS student in Michigan).

Also, how loud are the speakers?

So moving on, both computers are excellent choices for your mobile dollars. Alienware has a better GPU (5970m under preferred configuration), a better touchpad, and more ports, Alienware also has slightly better battery life as ASUS forgot to implement Optimus. However, ASUS has better build quality, a Blu-Ray writer (going through reseller) and a slightly better keyboard(and is about $100 less expensive when I configure them both). Does that about sum it up?

What's wrong with the G73 screen?

It's beautiful.

M17x for the warranty, Asus for the value.

Also check out the MSI GT780R. I have been using one for the last week and am a previous G73 owner and IMO the MSI is a much better notebook also with a great value.

Speakers are LOUD. loudest I've ever heard in a laptop. Reasonable bass too.

It just feels a little cheap. Panels dont have very tight tolerances, and when you rest your hands on the top of the unit you can feel them push down a little and some plastic flexing. Not a huge deal but oh well.

That is one area worth commenting on: sound. Alienware sound is disappointing. I owned a Dell XPS 17 and it sounded quite good, with Creative Xi-Fi option installed. The Alienware has some no-name sound solution, no subwoofer, and, at least on my refurb unit the way it arrived, the software for it doesn't even work. Not a big deal to me since I use headphones whenever I use the laptop, but I know the G73 at least had much better sound.

Speakers have an integrated subwoofer into the unit, the R3 uses Klipsch <sp> sound.

Typing this on my M11xR1 which has shit sound >.<

So fully implemented ASUS is about $2400, and fully implemented M17x is about $2650. Which means that once I'm done putting third-party bits in (16GB RAM, 120 GB SSD), ASUS costs about $2700, and M17x costs about $3100.

Is there any reason why m17x is worth $400 more?

Last edited:
Boils down to personal preference. I'd strongly suggest in looking around for a way to get a discount on the Alienware, as that would be my choice, however with the price difference I dont know if it'd be worth it to me....

M17x r3 just due to the fact that it has HDMI-in.

So the M17x price just magically dropped by about $200. (Good things come to those who wait or maybe I'm putting together a different configuration, I guess), so I'll be getting the M17x

How's the whole wireless HDMI out to your TV thing work? Is it something that's worth spending $100 on?

Also, could someone please explain what the difference is between the Intel wireless cards and the stock B/G/N card the computer comes with? Is it worth the $40/$75 difference in price?

The default wifi card sucks, and the upgraded one is worth it, the m17x has 3 leads, get a 6300 intel on newegg for $25 shipped instead of buying it as an upgrade from Dell.

The default wifi card sucks, and the upgraded one is worth it, the m17x has 3 leads, get a 6300 intel on newegg for $25 shipped instead of buying it as an upgrade from Dell.

How difficult is it to replace the wifi card? Is it just a matter of unscrewing some bits, popping in the card, and then rescrewing them back on?

Edit: Did some quick googling and it sounds like yes, that is EXACTLY what it is, and it's something I'd want to do when I replace the RAM under the keyboard.

Further Edit: Newegg is sold out of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106062&Tpk=intel%206300, which is the only result when I search for intel 6300. Anywhere else I can grab it that is trustworthy?

Last edited:
The whole bottom panel comes off, which allows you access to the major upgradable components, IE two ram slots, gpu/cpu, hard drives, and wireless card.

I just ordered an M17x r3. I called the Dell EPP number and received 25% discount and wasn't even eligible for the discount. Saved me about $700.

Edit: Had to mention "Hot Summer Savings" to get the 25% discount.

Last edited:
Back