M1330 or M1530?

M1330
Tuxedo Black edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition edit
LCD AND CAMERA Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam edit
MEMORY 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz edit
HARD DRIVE Speed: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive) edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card edit
BLUETOOTH AND WIRELESS USB Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR) edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) edit
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 edit
FINGERPRINT SCANNER Biometric Fingerprint Reader edit
$1404 + tax

M1530
Tuxedo Black edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition edit
LCD AND CAMERA High Resolution glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1680x1050) & 2MP Camera edit
MEMORY 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) edit
HARD DRIVE Speed: 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card edit
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate) edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition edit
$1549 + Tax

Im debating between these two laptops and im not sure if the ~$150 extra is worth it to get the 15". Im deciding between these two because i really dont like carrying around my e1705 + textbooks. The only games i play on my computer at the moment are Hellgate london.. TF2.. and WoW. Tell me what you guys think.

IMO, the GPU and the screen real estate are worth it for the small increase in weight over the M1330. But it really does depend on how much you intend to lug it around. Personally, for an all-day portage I balk at anything over 3lbs and my M1330's are already approaching 'luggable' (my M1730 is a 'transportable' ;) ) class for me, with the 1530 being definitely in that class, and I would say going by the quoted weight of the M1530 it would be noticeable over the M1330 if you have it on your shoulder for any decent length of time.

Generally speaking though, I would think that the 1530 would be a more useful machine for getting more stuff done on most of the time.

The 8400M GS and the 8600M GT are pretty different, but the higher resolution on the 1530s panel might not be a winner. I've seen WoW on a desktop with an 8400 and it wasn't that bad. The source engine adapts well. Hellgate London would be my only worry since it's a relatively newer game, but I'm unfamiliar with what it takes to push it.

Either way, the 8600M GT has twice the shaders and over twice the memory bandwidth of the 8400M GS. The 8400 has a 64-bit memory bus and GDDR2, while the 8600M GT has a 128-bit and GDDR3. I imagine you'd be seeing WoW and TF2 at native res here, but that's mainly because the source engine is so adaptable.

If you're looking for gaming portability, I think the M1530 is as close as it's going to get for that price. Honestly, other brand laptops that put the 8600M GT into a laptop of this size cost more, like the ASUS G-series. Although the M1530 lacks features the ASUS here has, I would still purchase the M1530.

By the way, you might want to consider removing the Audigy HD from the selection on the M1530 since it's just software you're paying for. There's no additional hardware at all. They were scamming people by not putting the word software in there before.

Sadly theres no option to take out the software foe the audio. Dells doing one of those top of the line deals over on their website and its $669 off on the M1530 and a whopping $799 off on the M1330. Comparing the two i think the M1330 is a better deal but my only other option for a 15" at ~$1500 is the asus G1.. but i dont want to have a laptop that looks like a gaming laptop haha. When i need to be professional i can.. but having all those flashing lights during a presentation isnt something i have in mind :D

It seems you have an E1705 already? Is this your main computer? If so I would get a 1330, sell the 1705 and build a SFF Desktop. Gaming on a notebook is a waste unless its WoW, or older games. But I would get the 1330.

I lug my e1705 around a lot and its a good machine for all of the games i play. But i think im gonna keep the e1705 for the home and the m1330 for on the go auction house checking.

1330, Great for your mobile day to day work related machine that is thin and will not take much effort in hauling around. GPU is the only weakness(not really). Like everyone in hear has said, you are capable of playing older games, but not the New Eye Candy viered games that your playing on your 1705. The GPU gives you enough power though for Photo(editing) and Movies. Gaming, maybe, but nothing to hope for.

1530, Great all around with the Extra horsepower being the GPU. 8600M GT is a much more capable GPU that will play most newer games without a problem. Its not the best, but it will satisfy even the most thirst quenching gamer on the go. You will be hauling a few more pounds though, like mentioned above with time you might notice. All other options on the laptop are found on the 1330, well except CPU I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) where with the 1530 you can upgrade all the way to 2.6 C2D with the 1330 up to 2.4?

Either way they are great choices that take inconsideration the mobile consumer with some added Taste(Design) and mobile punch for the poly god controling enthusiast with one of your options.

Its all you, all I can do is point out Pro's and Pro's, lol. Great laptops, hope your choice works out for you. eNjOy!

Back