M1015 or 9201-8i - still recommended?

fleggett

Gawd
I'm thinking about completely redoing my current Norco 4220 with a 4224. I've never really liked the 4220 and it looks like Norco fixed several issues related with the older design.

I'm currently using two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards, which are JBOD only. I'm not going to be fiddling with RAID, so JBOD is fine. However, I understand the Supermicro doesn't really stack up to M1015 or 9201-8i based cards.

Is the M1015 or 9201-8i still the preferred JBOD card for SAS <-> SAS connectivity with the 4224? I understand they need to be flashed to IT mode.

Also, what would be recommended if populating the Norco with all 24 drives? Multiple M1015/9201-8i cards or combined with expanders?

Thanks in advance!

Sure, as far as I'm aware there's not anything that's significantly better available in that price range. They perform really well, don't use much power and aren't super expensive. I always liked three SAS2008 cards in a 4224 to keep things simple.

brutalizer, I'll be using plain Jane Windows 8 Pro hooked directly to the TV. Nothing fancy.

Jim G, thanks for the feedback. What's the advantage of using expanders versus just using more of the same card?

Less consumption of PCI-E slots - if you need them for other cards and only had one free, for argument's sake, you wouldn't have much choice.

Back