M/B with 4 SATA 3 Intel ports?

mrwill

Limp Gawd
Is there a motherboard that has 4 Intel SATA 3 ports (not Marvell or other and not SATA 2). I know most have at least 2 ports, but I am looking for 4 to use in a raid array. I also know that there are PCIe cards, but I would like to use the Intel on-board ports.

EDIT: Alright, need to revise my statement, a lot of boards that are $100 and up have 4+ intel ports. Didn't realize they were still using SATAII on lower end boards.

Do you have a socket preference? That would help a lot for recommendations.

EDIT #2: Assuming you are talking about your x79 board that you currently have, the x79 chipset only has 2 6Gb/s ports on it. So any additional 6 Gb/s ports have to be through an additional controller. Many 1150 boards have 4+ Intel ports. Sorry for the confusions.

Last edited:
You need an H87 or Z87 board.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z87-H87-H81-Q87-Q85-B85-What-is-the-difference-473/

Although remember that hard drives do not benefit much from SATA III so SATA II will be totally fine for that. For SSDs if you have a workload that benefits from SSD raid you may want to get raid controller that is optimized for raid like the LSI megaraid + FastPath key to optimize performance over workloads that are more random (like OSs and most applications) instead of just large sequential workloads.

Last edited:
Gigabyte X79S-UP5 would be the better option. Uses the native SAS ports.

Regular hard drives will not benefit at all from SATA 3. SSDs will benefit only in sequential reads and writes.

Gigabyte X79S-UP5 would be the better option. Uses the native SAS ports.

Regular hard drives will not benefit at all from SATA 3. SSDs will benefit only in sequential reads and writes.

The SAS ports are the UP5 are a pain to get working, I finally gave up on mine and stuck a 9265-8i instead to use for my SAS drives. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Asrock.

Gigabyte support is terrible as well, they told me they don't support Server 2012 or 2012 R2 on this board even though it marketed as workstation board. Enterprise-class hardware, ok...

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287#ov

For the first time DIY PC builders can now enjoy the benefits of enterprise-class hardware to build their own high-end workstation. The GIGABYTE X79S-UP5-WIFI provides performance, reliability and additional features that prosumers and professional content creators demand.

The X79S-UP5-WIFI reaches beyond standard PC technologies and features to offer the perfect platform to build a workstation that caters for needs of today's creative professionals:Computer Aided Design – Digital Content Creators – Prosumers.

Back