M$ AD Network: Caching Group Policy?

gimp

[H]F Junkie
I've been trying to find out if it's possible to cache group policy settings on a domain.

Reason I ask, and why I'm trying to find out, is this: We have several remote sites that have distugstingly slow network connections (think multiple comptuers, and a 56k link). It's bad enough, that the computers time out contacting DHCP (I wish I had control over where DHCP servers were... ugh).
When/if the comptuers are rebooted, it takes about 5 minutes to "apply settings" before it finally gets to the logon screen, and then another 5+ minutes to apply user GP settings, before the desktop is loaded up.

I've done some searching, and it looks like it's not possible, but just wanted to make sure since most of what I found was in regards to Win2k Server, and we're running a Win2k3 AD network.

Off the top of my head I think there's some policies for slow link detection and background processing of GPOs?

I've looked into the slow-link detection, but it's not what I'm looking for. That's mainly just for installing software via GPO, and if the detected bandwidth gets below a specific threshold, it will not install that software.

as for background processing... I will have to do a little more research on that... haven't looked into that one yet (didn't think about it, missed it, or somethin)

I've looked into the slow-link detection, but it's not what I'm looking for. That's mainly just for installing software via GPO, and if the detected bandwidth gets below a specific threshold, it will not install that software.

as for background processing... I will have to do a little more research on that... haven't looked into that one yet (didn't think about it, missed it, or somethin)

I don't believe you can do it that way. If you have a slow link and need to install software you'll need something that will offer greater control and interactivity than the GPO's offer.

In WinXP you can set it so that it does not wait for the network on boot. The effect of this is that machine group policies are only applied every 3rd boot.

In WinXP you can set it so that it does not wait for the network on boot. The effect of this is that machine group policies are only applied every 3rd boot.

ahhhhh ok. That may be what I'm looking for then. I'll give this one a shot. Thanks!

There's a policy called "only use local profiles" in which the pc will boot using a copy of the profile stored on the pc. Speeds up the boot considerably.

There's a policy called "only use local profiles" in which the pc will boot using a copy of the profile stored on the pc. Speeds up the boot considerably.

they are not roaming profiles.
These users do have local profiles.

Roaming profiles are already cached, if they are used.

Back