M.2 SSDs 256GB and 512GB $79 & $139

Seems like the ebay deal even has a coupon for 15$ off
$15 OFF UNTIL 9PM EST TONIGHT USE CODE POSTECLIPSE15

Several reviews talk about how hot it gets and one mentioned it was very slow for an m.2 drive. Any thoughts?

I have the 750GB version but it is in SATA. I have had no issues with it. Bought it for $100. Going off of benchmarks, it is a bit slower than my 500GB MX200 boot drive in SATA. But it is 750GB. 1.2 TB of SSD space is nice, I can fit plenty of games on them. Maybe the M.2 drives are inferior? Considering they are not the fastest drives in the SATA format it would not shock me if they were slow for M.2. I'd look up the reliability for the M.2 versions and if you feel comfortable with it, I'd say grab one. I doubt most of us will notice the performance difference anyways.

this is regular m.2 the evos are nvme and x4 - this is basically the same as a sata III ssd drive. If your board supports NVME m.2 x4 I would suggest the evo - three times the speed of a regular sata drive. If you don't have it however this a pretty good price.

this is regular m.2 the evos are nvme and x4 - this is basically the same as a sata III ssd drive. If your board supports NVME m.2 x4 I would suggest the evo - three times the speed of a regular sata drive. If you don't have it however this a pretty good price.
I mostly agree, but based on budget. If you can spend the extra, then might as well. But in day to day use, one can hardly tell the difference in just about any SSD vs SSD comparison (as long as both are fairly reasonable drives and not super old). The three times faster really only applies to transferring data, which means you would need another drive of equal speed to match that. Otherwise your data transfer will be limited by the slower drive. Access times, application launch times, Windows boot speed, etc... would all be basically the same on either drive.

Samsung Evo NVMe runs 10x circles around any normal SSD out there. 10x

3500MB/s Read? vs ....... 400 - 500MB/s?

Yeah .... I will never ever again not use NVMe.

still an ok price. Good price for a laptop upgrade

I picked up 2 of the 525GB m.2 drives about a year ago from Jet for 190 bucks. Working excellent on a GB z170X gaming 5 in raid 0, they run as expected around 1000MB/s read/write. Great value for the dollar. AND the Intel chipset/drivers support TRIM even in raid.

Back