M.2 SSD from laptop to desktop?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I have a second-generation Thinkpad X1 Carbon (model 20a7) that has failed.

I removed the M2 drive from it, which is a 512 gig Toshiba THNSNH512GDNT model. I went off to Amazon and bought a generic M2-to-SATA adapter (this one) to try to install the drive in my desktop.

The adapter doesn't seem to work. My desktop won't recognize the drive; it thinks it's there, but claims it's failed, and won't read a serial or model number from it. I've got the drive connected to a port on my Areca ARC-1882 controller. I just want to set it up as a pass-through disk; I can read the data off it one last time and either sell the drive or use it as a spare on my desktop.

Can I conclude the drive really has failed? This seems unlikely; I'm guessing I've done something incompatible in the storage chain, or the adapter I bought is a dud.

Who can offer some advice?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Try a standard SATA port on the motherboard.. going though the Areca throws unneeded extra variables into the mix.

Define: M.2
There's two main types of m.2 drives, one that speaks SATA and one that speaks PCIe, that adapter only works on the ones that speak SATA (and it's keyed for either sata or PCIe... very naughty)

It's not nvme, just regular sata M.2. It should work on a standard Sata port. I use these adapters all the time, several hours ago in fact. I generally use them in a 2.5 USB 3.0 enclosure with the M.2 on the adapter installed in the enclosure. I have used them fine in my hot swap cage connected to sata ports on the motherboard as well.

Back