m.2- samsung 860 evo sata vs 970 evo nvme?

masteralef

n00b
Looking to pick up a 1TB m.2 drive for an sff build for my wife. The 970 evo is currently running at $220 at microcenter when picking up other components, while the 860 is running at $130 direct from Samsung. Is the improvement from the 970 worth the price difference vs. the 860?

Looking to pick up a 1TB m.2 drive for an sff build for my wife. The 970 evo is currently running at $220 at microcenter when picking up other components, while the 860 is running at $130 direct from Samsung. Is the improvement from the 970 worth the price difference vs. the 860?
I would say no. It's almost double. I got an nvme and can't say I notice a difference over a regular sata drive.

I'm just talking speed. I'm a sff build there are other bonuses like no wires so that part is great.

I'm just talking speed. I'm a sff build there are other bonuses like no wires so that part is great.

Just FYI, M.2 doesn't indicate whether it's SATA or NVME. The 860 EVO is available in M.2 form factor, but it's still SATA. The 970 EVO is only available in M.2, and it's NVME. This thread is a bit vague on it, but I would *assume* that the comparison is between two M.2 drives, rather than a M.2 NVME drive and a 2.5" SATA drive.

At nearly double the cost, the performance different of SATA vs NVME is miniscule; definitely save the money and pick up the SATA drive.

If you *are* comparing 2.5" SATA vs M.2, well, it's up to you whether that form factor difference is worth the price difference. Most cases, even SFF ones, are designed to take at least a single 2.5" drive, so presumably it would fit.

Just FYI, M.2 doesn't indicate whether it's SATA or NVME. The 860 EVO is available in M.2 form factor, but it's still SATA. The 970 EVO is only available in M.2, and it's NVME. This thread is a bit vague on it, but I would *assume* that the comparison is between two M.2 drives, rather than a M.2 NVME drive and a 2.5" SATA drive.

At nearly double the cost, the performance different of SATA vs NVME is miniscule; definitely save the money and pick up the SATA drive.

If you *are* comparing 2.5" SATA vs M.2, well, it's up to you whether that form factor difference is worth the price difference. Most cases, even SFF ones, are designed to take at least a single 2.5" drive, so presumably it would fit.
Yes my bad I was aware they both were m2. Not sure why I mentioned the 2.5" version.

Sorry, yes, I was comparing the m.2 versions of both. The question basically boiled down to price vs. performance, and there seem to be clear answers here.

Why do we see random SFF builds here and there but the SFF forum is almost dead silent! Sorry for the OT :ROFLMAO:

Back