M.2 PCI-E NVMe drives. Where are they?

mw8t

Limp Gawd
All I'm seeing is Samsung drives for sale. I don't want the 256GB 950 Pro as I don't need all that space and as such is too expensive. And I don't want an OEM drive like the SM951 or PM951 due to lack of support, firmware upgrades, warranty etc.

Will somebody make a retail 128gb M.2 PCI-E NVMe drive at a reasonable price?

Everyone is playing catch-up with Samsung. Lots of them were being shown at CES iirc, so expect the market to open up a bit soon.

Has a 128GB option, but is only PCI-E x2.
Amazon.com: Plextor M6e Series 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal Solid State Drive (PX-G256M6e): Computers & Accessories

This one is PCI-E x4, but I don't recognize the brand.
Amazon.com: Eluktro Pro-X Performance 128GB AHCI TRO-PCIe128GBPRO-X M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD by Eluktronics: Computers & Accessories

Update: Appears Eluktronics is an US-based company located in Delaware. Their website offers full support for the products they sell.
About Eluktronics Inc.

The product page on their site for the linked product above states it is a rebranded Samsung SM951... But they offer a 3-year warranty.
Eluktro Pro-X Performance 128GB AHCI M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got the 950 pro 512 GB...OMG ...fast is not the right word.....FREAKING fast is...

Just got the 950 pro 512 GB...OMG ...fast is not the right word.....FREAKING fast is...
No doubt. Prices just aren't there yet for me. Well they would be if a 128gb was available. I would buy it in a heartbeat.,

No doubt. Prices just aren't there yet for me. Well they would be if a 128gb was available. I would buy it in a heartbeat.,

I mean.. the 950 Pro 256GB got down to $158 @ Jet.com and at Fry's the other day. How cheap are you looking to get?

Honestly I have not noticed any difference from my old 160gb "normal" SSD. I do love the fact there are no cables involved and those 512gb, I can finally have all my games installed :)

reallty? everything just pops now on mine, load screens are faster, docs just pop open....love having no sata connected anything!

The big issue is that everyone has been developing sata controllers for SSDs the last few years and with the jump to NVMe, they have to have an entirely different ASIC built... and those rarely work on the first version.

These m.2 drives are also very small, so in order to get capacity, you have to have 3D NAND, and not everyone is shipping that yet.

The other issue is... with only one fab producing 3D NAND right now, if any 3rd party people want to buy that NAND and build their own drives, it's sure to be cost-prohibitive.

You're going to have to wait till Intel/Micron/SanDisk/Toshiba start making 3D NAND as well.

Back