M.2 nvme heatsinks in laptops, worth it?

This is the first time owning a laptop or any PC with SSD/nvme drives and was wondering if heat sinks are worth it.
The primary drive contains the OS and is 512 GB, the second drive will be for games and is going to be 2 TB. I have a 2TB 5400 HDD for media and work loads to save unneeded wear and tear on that SSDs.

Nearly half the laptop is vented and both slots are covered by the plastic just below the mesh.

The 1st drive have 2 pads under the controller and storage chips contacting the MOBO and will add them to the 2nd drive when I install that. Should the pads be enough?

Attachments

• IMG_20210714_141933.jpg
    IMG_20210714_141933.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210714_131614.jpg
    IMG_20210714_131614.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 0
I would absolutely keep some sort of thermal pad or heatsink on the nvme. If it's the drives that came with the laptop I would like to hope the included heatsinks are enough.
Given the tiny bit of space in most laptops, something like copper shims might be your only other choice.

I'd just monitor the temps as they are right now and then make adjustments based off that.

The flash memory itself actually prefers warmer temperatures. The issue is the SSD controller. Like any other processor, it generates heat. When the SSD controller gets hot beyond a certain point, the controller will throttle itself to keep temps in check. This will slow performance. That is the benefit of the heatsink - to prevent the SSD controller from throttling.

Back