M.2 Installation Questions

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
Good Day,

I currently have the Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/

I want to install my new ADATA Nvme drive XPG SX8200, does it make a difference if I install it in the 1st slot or the 2nd? 1st slot is on top 2nd is closer to the bottom. Which one would provide better cooling?

Also this Nvme drive, came with a simple heatsink, that I already applied to the drive via adhesive that was pre installed on the back of the plate/heatsink. You can see the drive and heatsink here:
https://hothardware.com/reviews/adata-sx8200-m2-nvme-ssd-review

My question is, since Z390 has its own heatsinks on the mobo for m2, do I need to remove the heasink that I already applied on the Nvme drive if I want the best cooling? Or do i Just install the Asus heatsink on top of the ADATA heatsink?

Thanks

They are both pcie3.0 x4 slots so it should not matter. If you think you might add an M.2 Sata drive for storage some time then the NVME drive should go in the bottom, only the top one supports Sata.

I would not use the supplied Adata sink and just use the MB sink. The Adata one is very thin, I am assuming the Asus one is thicker. It should be pretty easy to remove the Adata sink, a little bit of heat helps. I removed mine once I realized the writing on it was upside down.

Last edited:
They are both pcie3.0 x4 slots so it should not matter. If you think you might add an M.2 Aata drive for storage some time then the NVME drive should go in the bottom, only the top one supports Sata.

I would not use the supplied Adata sink and just use the MB sink. The Adata one is very thin, I am assuming the Asus one is thicker. It should be pretty easy to remove the Adata sink, a little bit of heat helps. I removed mine once I realized the writing on it was upside down.

Thank you for the tips sir.

Yes the Asus heatsink is much better IMO. What would be the best method to remove the Adata heatsink? Do I use the hair drier to warm it up a bit? I dont want to break it u know :)

I would just heat it up with a hair dryer, then pull up gently while still hitting it with the hair dryer. It should slowly peal off.

I would just heat it up with a hair dryer, then pull up gently while still hitting it with the hair dryer. It should slowly peal off.

Ya the heat is definitely the key, i tried bit by bit with out it, and it was hard, i was worried about the ships coming off. Once I applied 5-10 seconds of heat from my hair drier the process went much smother :)))

Thank you sso much for the help Dermen!

Always consult the mapping of the motherboard. The manual may inform of using M.2 0 slot may use particular PCIe preventing PCIe slot X from having so many lanes usage, etc. This is answered on page 1-8 (for Optane) , and 1-25 (for M.2 NVMe and SATA) of the manual. The only warning in your case is that if the M.2_1 is SATA ONLY and that you will lose SATA6G_2 port function, as mentioned by Dermen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Day,

My question is, since Z390 has its own heatsinks on the mobo for m2, do I need to remove the heasink that I already applied on the Nvme drive if I want the best cooling? Or do i Just install the Asus heatsink on top of the ADATA heatsink?

Thanks

M.2 heatsinks are a bad idea unless they are designed only to contact the controller only. Contrary to what most people might think, NAND likes to be hot and wears out less when its warm. Drive manufacturers include the plate not for any performance increase but because consumers prefer the look even though running bare will likely give you better performance/longer lifespan. This is the reason that Adata just gives you an adhesive to stick the aluminum plate on there. Its not actually for cooling and the adhesive thermal insulates the chip from the "cooler." You do not want to cool the NVME drive unless you want to reduce lifespan. Gamers Nexus states that with writing done at lower temperature may cause the "end of life data retention time to be cut in half."

I would say if you like the way the Asus heatsink looks then just install it on top of the ADATA one. You don't actually want NVME drives to be cooled. If you are using a thermal pad to connect the M.2 to a heatsink it was suggested that you want to trim the pads so its not on top of the memory chips only the controller. Best performance is obtained but putting a thermal conduction pad between the M.2 drive and the motherboard/heatsink in the area of the controller only.

Last edited:
M.2 heatsinks are a bad idea unless they are designed only to contact the controller only. Contrary to what most people might think, NAND likes to be hot and wears out less when its warm. Drive manufacturers include the plate not for any performance increase but because consumers prefer the look even though running bare will likely give you better performance/longer lifespan. This is the reason that Adata just gives you an adhesive to stick the aluminum plate on there. Its not actually for cooling and the adhesive thermal insulates the chip from the "cooler." You do not want to cool the NVME drive unless you want to reduce lifespan. Gamers Nexus states that with writing done at lower temperature may cause the "end of life data retention time to be cut in half."

I would say if you like the way the Asus heatsink looks then just install it on top of the ADATA one. You don't actually want NVME drives to be cooled. If you are using a thermal pad to connect the M.2 to a heatsink it was suggested that you want to trim the pads so its not on top of the memory chips only the controller. Best performance is obtained but putting a thermal conduction pad between the M.2 drive and the motherboard/heatsink in the area of the controller only.

Also, look at this carefully to understand when this applies. https://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/Alvin_Cox [Compatibility Mode]_0.pdf

Back