Lyft Added to Long List of Autonomous Vehicle Testing Permits in California

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Lyft has become the latest company to gain a testing permit for autonomous vehicle testing in California. We know autonomous vehicles are all the rage now, but what surprises me is how many companies are jumping on the band wagon. Take a look at the list here and you'll see just how many are working on this in California. It's far more than I realized. I wonder who is going to be the first to cross the line with a safe autonomous vehicle?

The California Autonomous Vehicle Testing Regulations require every manufacturer authorized to test autonomous vehicles on public roads to submit an annual report summarizing the disengagements of the technology during testing. This "disengagement report" is due by January 1 of each year. The first report covers the period from the date of issuance of the Testing Permit to November 30 of the following year. Subsequent reports cover the period of December 1 to November 30.

Personally I wonder who will be first to kill someone.

It's inevitable of course but worth it. So many people die every day because of bad human drivers. Automatic cars will reduce accidents by a massive amount.

It's inevitable of course but worth it. So many people die every day because of bad human drivers. Automatic cars will reduce accidents by a massive amount.
Until there's a bad software update or hacker attack that kills thousands in one day. With no testing, verification, and certification standards in place for these self-driving cars, this scenario is almost inevitable.

Back