LVDS as a digital interface for LCDs

xonik

[H]F Junkie
Okay, so I have an LCD (Samsung LT141X7-124) that accepts a 3.3 volt low voltage differential signal. It has three pairs of differential data inputs (negative and positive make a pair), and a negative/positive clock input. I have a controller board for it (DiCON LCD1280FI) which features a Genesis GM5020 LVDS transmitter chip.

This would be well and good, except that I'd like to ditch the controller board because I plan on using the LVDS transmitter on my ATi Mobility Radeon M11 (Radeon 9700). I'm just not sure whether I can use the M11's LVDS because I don't completely understand the whole LVDS scheme. The datasheet for the M11 isn't clear as to what LVDS transmitter is used, only that it's "230 MHz."

Am I overly concerned? Do LVDS transmitters have broad compatibility with any LCD with 3.3 volt LVDS signalling, or are they make and model specific?

afaik it should work... LVDS is LVDS....

are you modding a laptop or something? :confused:

Well, as far as I know it should work too, but I don't know that much about LVDS. This is for a project involving a Mini-ITX board (Commell LV-671), a Mini-AGP ATi Mobility Radeon 9700, and an LCD screen from a laptop.

FLECOM said:
afaik it should work... LVDS is LVDS....

are you modding a laptop or something? :confused:
We use LVDS at work for lots of stuff that isn't video... LVDS is a signalling protocol, just like CMOS or TTL. There's no guarantee that you can drive a laptop panel directly.

Make sure the laptop panel can handle DVI first.

I had the option to add a TMDS transmitter to my controller card, so I know that DVI would have worked with my LCD. Now I am just trying to decipher which LVDS transmitters will work with my LCD.

I have the LCD LT252X7-124 from Samsung in an old laptop. I am trying to rebuild to do an normal monitor, and I bought the M.NT68676.2 board to do that. But I don't know what is the voltage of the LCD, is it 3.3 V? Because I tried with 3.3V and it is not working.

Thanks in advance for help. I send a photo what I am doing. The only thing it is doing is to light on the backlight.
20160702_121517.jpg

Back