LVDS as a digital interface for LCDs

xonik

[H]F Junkie
Okay, so I have an LCD (Samsung LT141X7-124) that accepts a 3.3 volt low voltage differential signal. It has three pairs of differential data inputs (negative and positive make a pair), and a negative/positive clock input. I have a controller board for it (DiCON LCD1280FI) which features a Genesis GM5020 LVDS transmitter chip.

This would be well and good, except that I'd like to ditch the controller board because I plan on using the LVDS transmitter on my ATi Mobility Radeon M11 (Radeon 9700). I'm just not sure whether I can use the M11's LVDS because I don't completely understand the whole LVDS scheme. The datasheet for the M11 isn't clear as to what LVDS transmitter is used, only that it's "230 MHz."

Am I overly concerned? Do LVDS transmitters have broad compatibility with any LCD with 3.3 volt LVDS signalling, or are they make and model specific?

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
afaik it should work... LVDS is LVDS....

are you modding a laptop or something? :confused:

xonik

[H]F Junkie
Well, as far as I know it should work too, but I don't know that much about LVDS. This is for a project involving a Mini-ITX board (Commell LV-671), a Mini-AGP ATi Mobility Radeon 9700, and an LCD screen from a laptop.

gee

Electronics Wizard
FLECOM said:
afaik it should work... LVDS is LVDS....

are you modding a laptop or something? :confused:
We use LVDS at work for lots of stuff that isn't video... LVDS is a signalling protocol, just like CMOS or TTL. There's no guarantee that you can drive a laptop panel directly.

Make sure the laptop panel can handle DVI first.

xonik

[H]F Junkie
I had the option to add a TMDS transmitter to my controller card, so I know that DVI would have worked with my LCD. Now I am just trying to decipher which LVDS transmitters will work with my LCD.

EdwardPT

n00b
I have the LCD LT252X7-124 from Samsung in an old laptop. I am trying to rebuild to do an normal monitor, and I bought the M.NT68676.2 board to do that. But I don't know what is the voltage of the LCD, is it 3.3 V? Because I tried with 3.3V and it is not working.

Thanks in advance for help. I send a photo what I am doing. The only thing it is doing is to light on the backlight.