Lukewarm: Steam Winter Sale [H]as started

1QYIJAY.png

Alright, I contributed to gabe reluctantly.

Picked up far cry primal with expansions for $20.
Also got far cry 5 again for $23.

I pre-ordered the fc5 biggie for $90 before and never could get it to stay running (crash on any key input, but would idle for video test/demo forever lol). Hopefully it will work this time around, upgraded from 970 to 1080 since, maybe that will help. Either way for $23 I'm okay working a bit to figure it out.

Neither are terribly great deals, but whatevs. It's xmas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The sale prices aren't that bad at all. My memory of how things were over half a decade ago is a bit hazy, but I don't remember the steam sales having tons of brand new AAA titles for half off back then.

I ended up grabbing a bunch of games off GMG since they basically had the same prices, but an additional 15% off on top of that. But I did grab Bulletstorm and Frostpunk on steam since they weren't on sale anywhere else.

The thing I miss most about the good 'ol days of steam sales, and probably what helped keep the interest high more so than the "lower" sale prices, was the daily deals. Opening up steam every day during the sale, excited to see what games were on sale that day. It was disappointing the first time the annual whatever-season-it-was steam sale came up, and bam, here's the entirety of the sale right off the bat. No hope for a better deal, you just have like 2 weeks to figure out what you want to buy. Boring!

Almost nothing for me so far, except I did pick up some cheap DLC's for Sniper Elite 3 and The Long Dark for $7.49

I saw a lot of little 20-30% discounts but nothing on my wishlist that was priced to move :/

What I would really like is for Paradox to run a real deal on their DLC's. Take Victoria II for example - it's an outstanding game, but it was released in 2010 and they still want @ $40 for all of the DLC's. Crusader Kings II (2012) ~ $313 for DLC's. EU4 (2013) $279 for the DLC's. Not to mention Stellaris or Hearts of Iron IV, newer and even less discounted. Same routine - sell the base game for a reasonable price and then gouge for a gazillion DLC's :(
50% off seems to be the max discount ever for these...

Same deal (same publisher) with Cities: Skylines... the base game is often on sale, but the gaggle of DLC's are overpriced, $83 even with some at 50%

/humbug!

What I would really like is for Paradox to run a real deal on their DLC's.

I understand your statement. However, it appears that Paradox is still in business after all these years. Telltale Games, on the other hand..... *poof*.... and I'm on the side of the employees on that one.

Got Defcon, Endless Space 2, Wallpaper Engine and Rebel Galaxy, im done.

Is Dirt Rally worth it for $8? It has very positive reviews, unlike Dirt 4.
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/dirt/

I have a feeling that over the past couple years, the cheap Steam keys one can buy or get for free with sites like Humble Bundle and GMG take away from the winter and summer sales Steam holds.

Almost nothing for me so far, except I did pick up some cheap DLC's for Sniper Elite 3 and The Long Dark for $7.49

I saw a lot of little 20-30% discounts but nothing on my wishlist that was priced to move :/

What I would really like is for Paradox to run a real deal on their DLC's. Take Victoria II for example - it's an outstanding game, but it was released in 2010 and they still want @ $40 for all of the DLC's. Crusader Kings II (2012) ~ $313 for DLC's. EU4 (2013) $279 for the DLC's. Not to mention Stellaris or Hearts of Iron IV, newer and even less discounted. Same routine - sell the base game for a reasonable price and then gouge for a gazillion DLC's :(
50% off seems to be the max discount ever for these...

Same deal (same publisher) with Cities: Skylines... the base game is often on sale, but the gaggle of DLC's are overpriced, $83 even with some at 50%

/humbug!

There was a huge Fanatical sale for Paradox stuff in October.

Any thoughts on Everspace?

It's pretty decent; I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's an arcade rogue-lite, more in the vein of FTL than a traditional space sim. The controls are essentially mouse and keyboard only, you do have the option of using a gamepad, but you'll have a worse time playing this way. I didn't bother trying my HOTAS, since the gameplay is very arcadey but it is there. Because the gamepad controls are so terrible, I didn't try it out in VR, but it would be really immersive from what I've seen.

For $13, there's a good chunk of fun to be had, but I'd recommend the cheaper House of the Dying Sun over Everspace.

It's pretty decent; I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's an arcade rogue-lite, more in the vein of FTL than a traditional space sim. The controls are essentially mouse and keyboard only, you do have the option of using a gamepad, but you'll have a worse time playing this way. I didn't bother trying my HOTAS, since the gameplay is very arcadey but it is there. Because the gamepad controls are so terrible, I didn't try it out in VR, but it would be really immersive from what I've seen.

For $13, there's a good chunk of fun to be had, but I'd recommend the cheaper House of the Dying Sun over Everspace.

Hadn't heard of HotDS, thanks. Added to wishlist.

DogsofJune if you're interested in Everspace, I think you can still get it for free over on GOG if you spend $15. Might get a little more bang for your buck that way if there are any other games that you want to pick up.

I saw that. Added the game. It's been a bit since I had a space sim. Everspace is not horrible. Playing Divinity now for a bit.

Will look into House of the Dying Sun as well, thanks for the tip.

Everspace is on my wishlist too, looked like a fun version of elite lol. Thanks for the heads up!

Ended up getting:

In Death
chroma lab
for the king (not from steam)
overload (not from steam)

Anyone played Planet Coaster? I think this is an all-time cheapest price.

Anyone played Planet Coaster? I think this is an all-time cheapest price.
Oh its a great game for sure. Go into it knowing their will be some potential performance limitations. Since its a sandbox, you will be able to create a bigger park with more visitors than the game can handle as it is not as heavily multithreaded as it needs to be.

Stick to a more reasonably sized park and you should be just fine. Also if roller coaster tycoon was more your style, check out a game called parkitect. It looks to have some real promise.

Oh its a great game for sure. Go into it knowing their will be some potential performance limitations. Since its a sandbox, you will be able to create a bigger park with more visitors than the game can handle as it is not as heavily multithreaded as it needs to be.

Stick to a more reasonably sized park and you should be just fine. Also if roller coaster tycoon was more your style, check out a game called parkitect. It looks to have some real promise.
Thanks for the heads up Parkitect looks so close to RCT that it might as well be a sequel to it, might have to pick it up if I ever see it on sale. $30 (steam) isn't my price point though on an updated version of something I like

My huge backlog of unplayed or unfinished games is due in no small part to Steam's extremely effective marketing over the years.

I find it funny that now that backlog is a very effective deterrent. Something's gotta drop to under $10 or it's hard to justify. That being said, I've got about $35 of stuff in my cart that I'll probably be grabbing... after all, this is [H], where things rarely need to be practical or justified, do they?

How do these games compare to old school Wing Commander? I always liked WC more than X-Wing (though the latter was, as I recall, more realistic).

How do these games compare to old school Wing Commander? I always liked WC more than X-Wing (though the latter was, as I recall, more realistic).

Everspace plays more like Freelancer than Wing Commander or X-Wing... it's a wholly arcade shooter. The mission structure is similar to FTL, where your objective is to try to get through as many randomly generated sectors as you can, picking up loot as you go. It's a roguelike and after every death, you spend the money you earned and try again fresh. Now that I've had more time with Everspace, I'm really not having fun with it and wouldn't recommend it too highly... But this might be because I'm getting really tired of roguelikes.

House of the Dying Sun plays more like Wing Commander and feels more like a sim than Everspace. Instead of being roguelike, there's set levels that you need to clear in order to progress through the game. Rather than controlling a single ship, you're given a squad and can jump around as needed. If you fail, you can go do other missions and get stronger with better ships, weapons, and upgrades before trying again. Here's a good video showing an early mission, detailing how it plays:

Need to work on that VR game backlog... :p

Yeah, PSVR is comfortable but I get sick after about 10 mins, the WMR is great for the price but the HP I have is so painful to wear.

I just have to work through Gal Gun 5 minutes at a time >.<

Bioshock Collection, Talos Principle Gold, Lego Super Heroes 2(for nephew), that silly Cat Machine game(for myself niece). Not too bad, but Steam got some of my $ again.

GG Gabe, well played sir...

I didn't get much. Couple of flight sims, RPG and a new badge. Meh

Picked up Dishonored 2, Dishonored Death of an outsider, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

Got GTA5 on Humble bundle.

Witcher 3 on GOG (got Everspace free with this too). They had this promo going if you spend a certain amount you get a Everspace for free.

Not too bad, got a few games off my wish list even if they all aren't on steam.

Redout is selling for $7 this weekend. Any thoughts? I don't VR; not sure if that's really needed to fully enjoy the game.

I liked F-Zero back in the 90's. Redout has a Demo to give it a test whirl.

Bioshock Collection, Talos Principle Gold, Lego Super Heroes 2(for nephew), that silly Cat Machine game(for myself niece). Not too bad, but Steam got some of my $ again.

GG Gabe, well played sir...

Dude you know Lego Superheroes 2 was for you. I am a sucker for the Lego games

Reactions: maro
like this
Redout is selling for $7 this weekend. Any thoughts? I don't VR; not sure if that's really needed to fully enjoy the game.

I play redout, its super hard but a lot of fun. Reminds me of trackmania in the best of ways. Vr is weird for this title imho, looks awesome and runs well but its just too fast for me with the headset on (vive)

Would recommend if you like arcade racing.

I picked up Foundation, which apparently just hit EA a few days ago... it's a lot like Banished but with fully 3D environments and no grid. It's pretty rough around the edges, but it's playable and really fun.

I also decided to pick up Just Cause 3, just because it worked out cheaper to add that and get the $5 discount than just buy the above on it's own.

What about mega man 11 for 23? Will it ever drop to 15 or less within a yr? If not then I'll prob bite. Also curse of the moon is 6 bux? I got a coupon if I spend more than 30 i get 5 off. Was hoping re2 remake was on sale but nope still 60.

There's a bundle with Don't Starve and Subnautica for like $20. If you already own Don't Starve you can buy the bundle and get Subnautica for $13 ($4 or 5 less than if you wanted to buy Subnautica by itself).

I already had it for free from the Epic store since I hadn't completed it yet, liked the game, and didn't want to install the ES after reimaging my PC I figured it was easily worth the few dollars to have it on Steam.

Back