Luke-Warm: Bestbuy Velociraptor 300gb $212

ScYcS

2[H]4U
BestBuy has the Velociraptor 300GB version right now for $212 + tax where applicable. Comes out for me with tax to $225, about $4 cheaper than online but i can have it today....

re: newegg $199...That's after rebate. Some people hate rebates.

They've been $199 for quite some time.. since before Thanksgiving last year actually.

I see no problem wrapping them in thick bubble wrap then in packing peanuts.
It seems ot be a hit or miss thing. I ordered one of the 1tb GP's today from the egg, and i think it's worth the risk. Everyone I have bought came in bubblewrap and peanuts too, but there are a lot of people who have gotten them otherwise....

It seems ot be a hit or miss thing. I ordered one of the 1tb GP's today from the egg, and i think it's worth the risk. Everyone I have bought came in bubblewrap and peanuts too, but there are a lot of people who have gotten them otherwise....

its not, its always mediocre at best, the hit or miss is if the box will have a smooth ride or not, if its not so smooth the hdd will move around in the box since there arent enough peanuts 90 out 100 and will eventually hit a wall, if that happens more than once you are out of luck as one layer of bubble wrap wont hold more than one hit

also try ordering two hdds at once, then you are def out of luck, they will pack em together, double stacked :mad:

best buy also has their 10% Rewardzone coupons out for Mar 6-9. Not sure if they work on HDDs but it might sweeten the deal some.

thats a good deal.. i dont give a shit what anybody says nothing beats walking in and walking out with something ill pay the extra money to walk out the damn door with it in my hand.. only time i order online is when its redicilious in a retail store or they just dont have it

I bought 2 WD velociraptor 150gb on newegg (only cause fry's didn't have the 150's)... and their packaging was perfect.. some people must get the night crew :p

Everyone saying Newegg's HD packaging is fine...It depends. Some people (such as myself) have gotten HDs packaged HORRIBLY. Others get HDs wrapped great. Its hit or miss.

But not every company is hit or miss. Take ZipZoomFly for example. 100% always great packaging. Not everyone wants to take that chance.

Back on topic: the BB deal is also in retail packaging - NewEgg is OEM.

PS - All of their WD drives are 15% off this week

Best part about newegg velociraptors and other products i've ordered through them: I order on monday, the product arrives on tuesday. :D

I've purchased hundreds of drives from NewEgg for work in quantities between 1-50 at a time. The packaging was terrible almost every single time for multiple drives and I've had up to 3 DOA drives in the same shipment. For hard drives, I do order elsewhere when I can.

For everything else, NewEgg has been pretty solid.

Best part about newegg velociraptors and other products i've ordered through them: I order on monday, the product arrives on tuesday. :D

Or you could pay a couple bucks less (depending on tax) and walk out the door with one. (I know the one at Newegg has a rebate, but ya gotta wait for that).

My 640GB WD Black edition got hammered pretty bad. It was in the egg's usual bubble wrap with peanuts. Sometime in shipping the box hit a wall or fell down - hard. The drive was smashed against one corner of the box and all the bubbles on that corner were completely popped & flattened. I don't even want to know how the heck it got smashed hard enough against something to pop all those bubbles... I have been so busy with midterms I haven't even had a chance to test it out. I hope it's not DOA.

Newegg's hard drive packaging is better than Tiger Directs. I got in on the 1.5TB Seagate for around $100 deal from a couple of months+ ago and the hard drive arrived in the little plastic shell bouncing around inside an otherwise completely empty box. No packing peanuts, newspaper or nothing. Every little movement of the box slammed the hard drive from one side to the other. I wish I'd thought to take pics after opening it up. :mad: Drive worked fine - no thanks to Tiger Direct. :mad: Never again - I don't care how hot a hard drive deal is at Tiger. You can bet your last $$ if it had been dead and you sent it to Seagate for RMA packaged like that you'd be S.O.L.

for $212, you can get 4 ST3500410AS and put 4 drives on RAID 0+1, you will get much faster hard drive system. I have 2 of them in RAID, the average transfer rate is 195mb/s!

for $212, you can get 4 ST3500410AS and put 4 drives on RAID 0+1, you will get much faster hard drive system. I have 2 of them in RAID, the average transfer rate is 195mb/s!

Not everybody has a nice raid controller, and not everybody's mobo is that raid friendly. Plus you have the added disadvantages of needing more drives. I'm plenty happy with the performance of my 640GB Black edition as a single drive, but this is not enough for some, and many who want more performance don't have the means or space (or sometimes the free time) to setup something like what you have. But if you have the means, I agree. Two 640GB WD's (two platters) in RAID 0 will likely give you better or lose to equal performance in everything except seek time, all while costing less (and being nearly as efficient, perhaps even quieter) than a single Velociraptor. Oh, yeah, and you get a lot more than 300GB, too.

Back