Luciferin. DIY bias lighting for your monitor.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
java_fast_screen_capture_logo.png

Luciferin is a generic term for the light-emitting compound found in organisms that generate bioluminescence like Fireflies and Glow Worms.

Firefly Luciferin is a Java Fast Screen Capture PC software designed for Glow Worm Luciferin firmware,
those two software create the perfect Bias Lighting and Ambient Light system for PC.

Differently from other solutions, Firefly and Glow Worm Luciferin are designed to work together for the best experience possible.

Why don't you build your own Luciferin?

Here's a Quick Start guide
https://github.com/sblantipodi/firefly_luciferin/wiki

And here a YouTube video of the software in action:

Here the Discord server of the project.
https://discord.gg/aXf9jeN

Last edited:
Oh, this looks cool.

Just added bias lighting to my monitor, but I can only do a solid color, it doesn't sync to the screen.

Oh, this looks cool.

Just added bias lighting to my monitor, but I can only do a solid color, it doesn't sync to the screen.

So, I can not speak to the above solution, though I would certainly like to try it. That being said I am big into bias lighting behind my displays. At the moment I currently run a number of Hue play lights attached to the back of the display, along with some secondary behind desk lighting and a number of lamps. There are a number of software utilities that allow them to sync to the screen colours, audio output etc. I do highly recommend such solutions.

Shame it doesn’t work with LIFX, I’ve got a strip light on the back of my desk but they don’t do a sync solution.

I’d definitely have had a go at this if I’d have seen it before I bought off the shelf. Nice find.

Just use a projector and you get automatic bias lighting. :p

J/k, this is pretty cool. Not a huge fan myself, but if it really helps with eye strain I might have to try it eventually.

Just use a projector and you get automatic bias lighting. :p

J/k, this is pretty cool. Not a huge fan myself, but if it really helps with eye strain I might have to try it eventually.

I have this kind of setup for all my Monitors and TVs. It really help with eye strain in a dark environment, The CG437K comes with 4 strips of multi color LED that you attach to the back

IMG_8800.jpg

And I use a set of this for my TV. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBJR7GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_9062.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have this kind of setup for all my Monitors and TVs. It really help with eye strain in a dark environment, The CG437K comes with 4 strips of multi color LED that you attach to the back

View attachment 366983

And I use a set of this for my TV. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBJR7GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 366985
do you use Luciferini?

in the mean time the project continue to grow up,
I added some music effects, this is the vu meter for example :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
do you use Luciferini?

in the mean time the project continue to grow up,
I added some music effects, this is the vu meter for example :D

No, I'm just replying that even static ambient lighting will ease eye strain in evening. If I want pulsating lighting, I'll go to a club 😜

This looks fun, I'll have to give this a go! I have some spare Arduinos, MSP430, and Raspberry Pi's I'll have to see if I can adapt to it.

Dude, that looks sick! I might have to buy one (I'm just using a cheapo $15 LED, but it's static).

Dude, that looks sick! I might have to buy one (I'm just using a cheapo $15 LED, but it's static).

you don't need to buy it, you can build it DIY, it's not difficult, there is a complete wiki on the github page and even a discord server if you need help.

It really looks great, but taking a look at BOM and then searching for half a hour on aliexpress for different parts i gave up while not being even half through the list.
Would be great if you had a site, where one could order either an assembled unit or a DIY kit with all the parts needed. Do you take orders?

Philips used to do this with their TVs. and it even had different lighting zones, based on how different parts of the screen were colored. Its too bad the feature didn't become more popular.

It really looks great, but taking a look at BOM and then searching for half a hour on aliexpress for different parts i gave up while not being even half through the list.
Would be great if you had a site, where one could order either an assembled unit or a DIY kit with all the parts needed. Do you take orders?

Hi, thanks for the interest in it.
Most people prefers to do the DIY way so no, I never started thinking on taking orders.

It could change in the future if I'll receive more requests or "group buy".

Philips used to do this with their TVs. and it even had different lighting zones, based on how different parts of the screen were colored. Its too bad the feature didn't become more popular.
Build your own Luciferin then, the result is even better than the Philips one. :)

Hi, thanks for the interest in it.
Most people prefers to do the DIY way so no, I never started thinking on taking orders.

It could change in the future if I'll receive more requests or "group buy".
Nah, most people either have no soldering skills, are too lazy, or just have no time for a project that would take several weeks from ordering+receiving all parts to finishing it (or perhaps months, if you order parts from aliexpress) and want an easy way out :).

Maybe you could try to organize a "group buy"? Perhaps on your discord? Posting a note on project's github might help as well to find to find more people.
I image few HardForum folks would also like to get one.

I would definitely go for a DIY-Kit, since I'm not a stranger to soldering (even though my Hakko 888d didn't see any action for more then a year ^^'), most other people would probably prefer an assembled unit.

Their new "Philips 43PUS8807" 120Hz gaming TV that was released this month also has it. Too bad the panel is crap.
https://allhomecinema.com/review-philips-55pus8807-pus8807-series-the-one-lcd-led-tv/?id=42192632462

Last edited:
Nah, most people either have no soldering skills, are too lazy, or just have no time for a project that would take several weeks from ordering+receiving all parts to finishing it (or perhaps months, if you order parts from aliexpress) and want an easy way out :).

Maybe you could try to organize a "group buy"? Perhaps on your discord? Posting a note on project's github might help as well to find to find more people.
I image few HardForum folks would also like to get one.

I would definitely go for a DIY-Kit, since I'm not a stranger to soldering (even though my Hakko 888d didn't see any action for more then a year ^^'), most other people would probably prefer an assembled unit.

Their new "Philips 43PUS8807" 120Hz gaming TV that was released this month also has it. Too bad the panel is crap.
https://allhomecinema.com/review-philips-55pus8807-pus8807-series-the-one-lcd-led-tv/?id=42192632462

The GitHub's page of the project is linked in the first post along with a complete wiki.
I agree that most hardware enthusiast are not into soldering, this project was meant for Arduino users and DIY users mostly.

I added a Discord invite link on the first post.

In any case I don't think that many people are interested in the project, DIY users are loving it but as I said DIY users are able to build their own PCB.

People that aren't in this kind of projects should not use DIY things since we use current and current is not safe for people that have no idea on how to handle it.

I don't want to be responsible for people burning their house :D

Back