Lucasfilm Confirms Boba Fett Star Wars Movie "100% Dead"

Good thing they just outright killed him than going through the trouble of making a film to kill him, forever.

I simply don't think this movie would have ever done well in the first place. We're talking about a guy who has very little screentime and his popularity is based on his total mysterious. Look at some of the replies here, the emphasis is on how mysterious he is and how they imagine his past was and what situations he was in. That is simply a recipe for disaster. No matter how they made the movie they were going to piss off a large portion of the Boba Fett fanbase simply because the Fett portrayed in the movie isn't the Fett people were looking for.

Besides the rabid Fett fans, who are you going to make this movie for? You already know you're probably going to piss off at least 50% of the Fett fans no matter what so what kind of fans and numbers are you going to look at making the movie for? No matter what they do, they'll end up pissing off more Fett fans and end up making some generic movie attempting to appeal to a broad audience that probably doesn't care about him in the first place.

From the first rumors of this movie I figured it would be a mess if they ever made it and I think it's a good thing it's not going through.

IMHO, to make a great Fett movie it can't be about him. It needs to be about someone/something else. (Dr. Hannibal Lecter makes The Silence of the Lambs what it is, even though Clarice Starling is the main character.)

The mystery around Fett, specifically his Empire Strikes Back archetype is what made him cool. He was one of the only characters to truly stand up to Vader and get away with it.

Boba Fett is not a good guy. He is not a hero doing a tough job as a victim of circumstance. He is a bounty hunter willing to kill for money. And please, never make him comic relief!

I hated this character, and relished in his demise.

I am amazed by the popularity for a minor character.

They should do a show on Greedo; it's just as relevant. (Han shot first, dammit!)

Episodes IV, V & VI occupied the majority of my TV watching time as a child. Simply loved it. As a teenager I got into the extended universe books and had a great time.

The reason those things worked for me was they were targeted at me. I was in the right age bracket when exposed to them.

We can pontificate endlessly about how terrible the new movies are but frankly they aren't meant to be the peak of high cinema. They are bubblegum trash targeted at people too young to see through them. Consumable entertainment for folks with zero attention span.
As long as they offend the least number of people and sell well Disney could care less about a good fight choreography or having reshoots that even look similar to first production.

It's a commercial product that makes money. It's doing the job Disney expects.

This stuff ain't for us no more, we are just supposed to get our kids to watch it and not complain about the things our kids are learning from it.

At the time of the movies I remember a 12" action figure was made available of the major characters from the movies. We used to fanatically play SW at every recess and the kids who had the Bobba Fett toy were elevated to Rock-Star status!

I had the 80's 12" Boba Fett, along with a ton of other SW toys that are worth a fortune now. All got sold at a garage sale for nothing while I was away for the summer. I'm still a wee bit upset about that.

I loved Solo movie. It's the first Star Wars movie I really enjoyed and rated high. And the reason why is because I'm actually a Star Trek fan.
Solo wasn't about Jedi vs Sith and that ancient war BS. It was genuine sci-fi with exploration and showing us new things instead of fantasy good vs evil opera in space which Star Wars is.

I also enjoyed the Solo movie. And I skipped it at the theater because of TLJ. Rented it and even the Mrs liked it, and she doesn't give a crap about SW.

Episodes IV, V & VI occupied the majority of my TV watching time as a child. Simply loved it. As a teenager I got into the extended universe books and had a great time.

The reason those things worked for me was they were targeted at me. I was in the right age bracket when exposed to them.

We can pontificate endlessly about how terrible the new movies are but frankly they aren't meant to be the peak of high cinema. They are bubblegum trash targeted at people too young to see through them. Consumable entertainment for folks with zero attention span.
As long as they offend the least number of people and sell well Disney could care less about a good fight choreography or having reshoots that even look similar to first production.

It's a commercial product that makes money. It's doing the job Disney expects.

This stuff ain't for us no more, we are just supposed to get our kids to watch it and not complain about the things our kids are learning from it.

Nothing about Star Wars films classifies them as gum. Star Wars gum absolutely exists, however that doesn't suddenly transform the films to gum.

I'd argue that there are a significant amount of fans that liked the Royal Guard showdown in the last Jedi, as well as the Darth Vader Combat scene at the end of Rogue One. Just because you personally didn't like it does not mean that no one did. In fact I read about Star Wars ever day and have only ever seen two people mention they didn't like the Rogue One Vader slaughter scene.

Personally i've gotten quite attached to Chirrut and K-2SO from Rogue One. The very first time I saw the film I didn't make that connection, much like the first time I ever watched the first Star Wars, but after my second and 3rd re-watching i've grown very fond of these characters and love every scene with them in it. IMO some of the new characters are definitely great all-around. It's not as if the older films didn't have really stupid characters like Yaddle and Melas.
The fight scene with the Royal Guard is the only reason I have good memories about TLJ.
Favreau kicks ass, remember this is the guy that started the MCU revolution with IRONMAN
And it was and still is the only good movie he's ever directed.

I loved Solo movie. It's the first Star Wars movie I really enjoyed and rated high. And the reason why is because I'm actually a Star Trek fan...
Episodes IV, V & VI occupied the majority of my TV watching time as a child. ... The reason those things worked for me was they were targeted at me. ...
There's a huge difference between Star Trek and Star Wars.
- Star Trek has always been about moral choices and dilemmas.
- Star Wars is a classical saga turned into massive action.

When the first SW movie came it was truly revolutionary in its way of telling the story, as well as the story told. It was all the traditional components turned up to level 11 and presented at a tempo previously never seen. Why burn down a village when you can blow up a planet?
I can still vividly remember sitting in the cinema watching the opening scene for the first time. By the time about half of the star destroyer had entered the screen I was totally hooked!

Just compare that to the first Star Trek movie, which is very representative of all other SciFi in the early-mid 70ies. Very slow pace to make sure the audience really get to see the work and details put into all the miniatures...
Low tech and slow pacing makes Star Trek Original Series as well as Moon Base Alpha unbearable to watch nowadays.

When The Phantom Menace was released the tempo and scale of things had become everyday action, and so that film and every later SW release hasn't added anything really new to the art of cinematography.
Now it's just one series of action movies competing with many other.

Actually I think they are taking the expanded universe back to the drawing board. They really need to stop trying to retcon existing characters (which always happens when you make a solo moive for them) and move forward with new stories. Rogue one was excellent because it delt with something that had to have happened in someway, but had no actual explaination in the movies. That gave them freedom to make a story that wouldnt accidentally shit over everything else.

I'll make the argument that star wars is about the SW universe more than the characters. The characters were never deep. I mean Han Solo peaked at the whole "I love you", "I know" scene. If that didn't tell you all you really needed to know about him, well...

Boba Fett was cool because he looked cool. If there's a story to tell there, it's about how/why the universe has bounty hunters, not a character study of boba Fett.

Rogue One mostly worked because it was fleshing out a bit of the big picture that had been hinted at.

Wait...what?!

How is Star Wars not about moral choices and dilemmas, it is literally about choosing between good and evil, light or dark. Beyond that it was also about freedom vs unquestioned obedience and control...

In what way is choosing between good and bad difficult? When is opting for the dark side and unquestioned obedience the morally right way to go? Going "bad" can often be the more convenient and easy way, but it's still clearly "bad" from a moral standpoint.

Star Trek is as good as only about making difficult moral choices, where the results are either difficult to predict at all or all alternatives have serious drawbacks. Neither option is clearly the "right" way to go.

In what way is choosing between good and bad difficult? When is opting for the dark side and unquestioned obedience the morally right way to go? Going "bad" can often be the more convenient and easy way, but it's still clearly "bad" from a moral standpoint.

Star Trek is as good as only about making difficult moral choices, where the results are either difficult to predict at all or all alternatives have serious drawbacks. Neither option is clearly the "right" way to go.

Moral is between right and wrong. Moral is not an ambivalent choice between two identical situations. I think what you are trying to say is that Star Trek focuses far more on social issues, not necessarily moral issues.

When the first SW movie came it was truly revolutionary in its way of telling the story, as well as the story told. It was all the traditional components turned up to level 11 and presented at a tempo previously never seen. Why burn down a village when you can blow up a planet?
I can still vividly remember sitting in the cinema watching the opening scene for the first time. By the time about half of the star destroyer had entered the screen I was totally hooked!

Just compare that to the first Star Trek movie, which is very representative of all other SciFi in the early-mid 70ies. Very slow pace to make sure the audience really get to see the work and details put into all the miniatures...
Low tech and slow pacing makes Star Trek Original Series as well as Moon Base Alpha unbearable to watch nowadays.

When The Phantom Menace was released the tempo and scale of things had become everyday action, and so that film and every later SW release hasn't added anything really new to the art of cinematography.
Now it's just one series of action movies competing with many other.

While I agree with some points, mainly that Star Wars is still very watchable while Star Trek not so much, and that Discovery is more action oriented, although not completely as there's plenty of mystery that I like.
Regardless I still see Star Wars as fantasy with magic set in space.

Yes and no. None of the Trek movies were really like that.

Sybok and the wannabe God alien in Final Frontier seem to be a commentary on the rise of televangelism, the events in Star Trek VI are obviously about the end of the Cold War. Insurrection has a 'should we move the space amish and steal their life-extending planet' plot, and Nemesis showed that Picard could have grown up to be an asshole if he had been raised in a slave mine full of cruel rat-people. There was never a whole lot of moral ambiguity in any of these scenarios other than Kirk and his crew having to get over their prejudice against the Klingons to solve the mystery and achieve peace in Star Trek VI.

The TV show does occasionally get into interesting moral dilemmas. 'The City on the Edge of Forever' is often considered one of the best episodes in all of Trek, and Kirk essentially kills a war protestor because 'she was right at the wrong time.' Granted, in the story he had to do it so that the US wouldn't avoid entry into WWII, but the real world backdrop at the time the episode came out was the US escalation of the Vietnam War. 'This Side of Paradise' is my favorite episode in TOS, and at it's heart it's basically an anti-marijuana message.

Overall I think you could say that Star Trek stories are generally about collaborative problem solving, while Star Wars is a heroic epic of good vs evil. In Star Trek you have the triad of Kirk/Spock/McCoy (guts, logic, emotion) or a diverse cast of characters from different backgrounds being tested in various ways. In Star Wars you have a main character and some secondaries on the hero's journey. They both have elements of morality, self-discovery, redemption, and the like.

Last edited:
Wait...what?!

How is Star Wars not about moral choices and dilemmas, it is literally about choosing between good and evil, light or dark. Beyond that it was also about freedom vs unquestioned obedience and control...

Star Wars wasn't about choosing good or evil. The lines were drawn before the movie came on the screen the the movies were about the journey and adventures of the good guys to defeat the bad guys. And I have no problem with this. Star Wars was about showing the good guys beating up the bad guys in ways that people found entertaining. There weren't supposed to be hidden messages or deep thought about the motives of various characters. It was supposed to be fun and enjoyable to watch.

The expanded universe of books, games, comics, etc didn't follow that exact formula but those were also different mediums which allowed for more nuance, better details and an expansion of the why behind a decision. Different formats allow for different details to emerge but the original movies didn't worry about the behind the scenes details but instead concentrated on being fun and enjoyable.

Star Wars wasn't about choosing good or evil. The lines were drawn before the movie came on the screen the the movies were about the journey and adventures of the good guys to defeat the bad guys. And I have no problem with this. Star Wars was about showing the good guys beating up the bad guys in ways that people found entertaining. There weren't supposed to be hidden messages or deep thought about the motives of various characters. It was supposed to be fun and enjoyable to watch.

The expanded universe of books, games, comics, etc didn't follow that exact formula but those were also different mediums which allowed for more nuance, better details and an expansion of the why behind a decision. Different formats allow for different details to emerge but the original movies didn't worry about the behind the scenes details but instead concentrated on being fun and enjoyable.

I think you missed something then. First Trilogy Luke was confronted multiple times about choosing a side, light or dark. The prequel, again it was about Anakin and his choice and we know what his choices ended up being as well. The follow series now is about Rey and her choices. Also in the series you have several of the other characters that have to go through choices. Han has to make his choices. In the prequels Ben Kenobi is presented with choices, as is Padme. In the follow on it is Kylo Ren has to make choices. The Star Wars movies are all about choices. As for the sides, if you watched the entire series you will notice that light and dark are chosen, but not necessarily which forces operate for which. The droids originally help the dark side, but then are replaced by the clones, who were originally deployed by the light side. So no it wasn't exactly set in stone. But at the same time, they all seem to make the choices painfully obvious. In the new series it seems to muddy the waters a bit though.

The fight scene with the Royal Guard is the only reason I have good memories about TLJ.

And it was and still is the only good movie he's ever directed.

I've enjoyed a few of his movies, he has a good grasp of overall arc, and always delivers a movie that keeps your attention. You can't tell me that there isn't a single other movie that wasn't decent that he's helmed.

Seems like my previous posts spawned some confusion. Let me clear it out.

My original post:
What I meant was that:
Star Wars do indeed, as almost all sagas, have some elements about choosing between doing either what's easy but morally wrong or do what's more difficult but morally right. It's never a question about which of the options is the "good" one, because that's obvious.

- Star Trek, and then with some emphasis on The Next Generation TV-series, is much more about facing dilemmas where the main problem is figuring out which optional solution is the morally correct one. So way more philosophical than Star Wars.

Here let me ruin that scene for you.

How? She knocks one blade out of his hand when he tries to stab her in the back and it flips off the platform behind them.

People need to quit trolling watch the damn movie. Some of the best moments in Star Wars are in TLJ, including the red room duel and Luke's talk with Yoda.

Seems like my previous posts spawned some confusion. Let me clear it out.

- Star Trek, and then with some emphasis on The Next Generation TV-series, is much more about facing dilemmas where the main problem is figuring out which optional solution is the morally correct one. So way more philosophical than Star Wars.

I get what you're saying, but even as a huge fan of TNG I have to say... ehhhhhh. Many episodes of Star Trek certainly do use philosophical arguments as a plot device; take 'The Offspring,' where Starfleet wants to take away Data's daughter, but in that episode and most others it's blatantly obvious to the audience which sides are good and bad. Like I said before, what makes Trek Trek is that it's about collaborative problem solving, not that it poses deep philosophical quandaries. Off the top of my head I can only think of one episode in TNG where it's not really obvious who's right and wrong, 'Suddenly Human' from season 4 (where they 'rescue' a human boy who was raised by an enemy).

With Kathleen's track record of ho-hum SW movies while helming LF, this would have turned into story writing akin to an old spaghetti western...Boba Fettuccine.
You take that back!
giphy.gif

Rogue one was excellent because it delt with something that had to have happened in someway, but had no actual explaination in the movies. That gave them freedom to make a story that wouldnt accidentally shit over everything else.

Umm, Kyle Katarn would disagree.

Back