Lucasfilm Confirms Boba Fett Star Wars Movie "100% Dead"

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed that the Boba Fett film has been scrapped in favor of Jon Favreau’s Star Wars TV series, “The Mandalorian.” Could this mean the legendary bounty hunter has a starring or sizable role in the show? That’s what some fans are speculating.

Although never officially announced by Lucasfilm, the Boba Fett movie has been in the works since 2013, with Fantastic Four helmer Josh Trank attached at one point before being fired over “creative differences”, and Logan director James Mangold signing on to write and direct earlier this year (whether Mangold has transitioned into a different Star Wars project or parted ways with Lucasfilm is unclear at this point).

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

3. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Better to kill it than create another flop

Dunnlang, AlphaQup, jnemesh and 4 others like this.
  4. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

That's true, and sad. Who but someone with GOUT jedi powers could've foreseen that Star Wars would actually be worse off under Disney than it was under George Lucas?

DrBorg and Madoc like this.
  5. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

With Kathleen's track record of ho-hum SW movies while helming LF, this would have turned into story writing akin to an old spaghetti western...Boba Fettuccine.

6. Dahkoht

Dahkoht Limp Gawd

They couldn’t figure out a way to spin Boba into being a tranny with all the clones in place I take it and thus gave up ?

7. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

I think they got the message from the audience and decided it's best to not destroy any more IP.

AlphaQup, Armenius, mbelue and 3 others like this.
  8. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

Star Wars - The Never Ending Saga.

Armenius and Tiberian like this.
  9. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Actually I think they are taking the expanded universe back to the drawing board. They really need to stop trying to retcon existing characters (which always happens when you make a solo moive for them) and move forward with new stories. Rogue one was excellent because it delt with something that had to have happened in someway, but had no actual explaination in the movies. That gave them freedom to make a story that wouldnt accidentally shit over everything else.

Dunnlang, AlphaQup, Olle P and 6 others like this.
  10. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

Actually he survived the Sarlacc pit in the book trilogy, The Bounty Hunter Wars.

Dunnlang, AlphaQup, Armenius and 3 others like this.
  11. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

<Boba Fett fires a blaster from behind the security panel> "You don't understand me!" <BLAM! BLAM-BLAM!> "You've never understood me! I've ALWAYS been a woman!" <BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!> "And I was not being contradictory, it's just that I have a sugar imbalance!" <tink-tink-tink of a grenade bouncing down the hallway>

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    sed8em, AlphaQup, Armenius and 9 others like this.
  12. jojo69

jojo69 [H]ardForum Junkie

does anybody care anymore?

13. Dahkoht

Dahkoht Limp Gawd

There's plenty they could go with already written , from the old Thrawn/Dark Empire books , to the new one talking about his origin and how he's a bad-ass strategist all around.

Use them as the screen play's , don't add any ridiculous SJW shit , make it gritty , and voila , billion dollar trilogy the actual fanbase would drool over.

Of course , that wouldn't right the evils of the world or anything though , so not up Kathleen's alley.

14. polonyc2

polonyc2 PM an Admin to Pick Your Title

no need for a standalone Boba Fett movie now that they've officially greenlight that Mandalorian TV show with Jon Favreau as showrunner...

15. Nebell

Nebell [H]ard|Gawd

I loved Solo movie. It's the first Star Wars movie I really enjoyed and rated high. And the reason why is because I'm actually a Star Trek fan.
    Solo wasn't about Jedi vs Sith and that ancient war BS. It was genuine sci-fi with exploration and showing us new things instead of fantasy good vs evil opera in space which Star Wars is.

Burticus, Aix., DejaWiz and 1 other person like this.
  16. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

None of the Disney produced movies have been about Jedi vs. Sith though.

Dunnlang likes this.
  17. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

At the time of the movies I remember a 12" action figure was made available of the major characters from the movies. We used to fanatically play SW at every recess and the kids who had the Bobba Fett toy were elevated to Rock-Star status!

18. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Or good combat, a good plot, and most importantly there were no characters you get attached to.

Dunnlang, AlphaQup, Armenius and 3 others like this.
  19. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

I'd argue that there are a significant amount of fans that liked the Royal Guard showdown in the last Jedi, as well as the Darth Vader Combat scene at the end of Rogue One. Just because you personally didn't like it does not mean that no one did. In fact I read about Star Wars ever day and have only ever seen two people mention they didn't like the Rogue One Vader slaughter scene.

Personally i've gotten quite attached to Chirrut and K-2SO from Rogue One. The very first time I saw the film I didn't make that connection, much like the first time I ever watched the first Star Wars, but after my second and 3rd re-watching i've grown very fond of these characters and love every scene with them in it. IMO some of the new characters are definitely great all-around. It's not as if the older films didn't have really stupid characters like Yaddle and Melas.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  20. DeeFrag

DeeFrag [H]ardness Supreme

Probably so they can free up some budget to kick off the Jar-Jar Binks trilogy and The Life and Times of Greedo.

21. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Oooookay..........

Dunnlang and Dayaks like this.
  22. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

The original theatrical release trilogy, that's all that matters. Anything and everything else including the books and the cartoon shows and the prequels and sequels and whatever, meaningless. :p

DrBorg likes this.
  23. Wiffle

Wiffle Limp Gawd

If Boba Fett had a vagina would they have greenlight it?

I kid I kid...

In all seriousness I never understood the fan fetish for someone that gets bitch slapped into a sarlacc pit without so much as a second thought. Hell don't they even play one of those iconic screams as he falls into the pit?

For me this is akin to LoTR movies taking a 1 page of "our life is flashing before our eyes before we die" and turning it into a 30 minute bromance.

Dunnlang and DrBorg like this.
  24. Cmdrmonkey

Cmdrmonkey Gawd

Franchise fatigue has set in. We’ve had 4 movies in less than 3 years, and they’ve all been pretty mediocre.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    HockeyJon likes this.
  25. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

His original voice is very badass and Boba arguably is one of the coolest bounty hunters in the films. As a kid I always fantasized myself as being a bounty hunter in the Star Wars Universe. I guess you could say he's the character in the films that I typically would project myself into. Han getting a killing shot on Boba while he was blind was just always really funny to me and I guess I always saw it as karma as well as a particularly funny scene. Also if you think about C3-PO's line of saying that the pit slowly digests you over 1,000 years time, I had always assumed that between his elite armor, belt of gadgets and jet pack, that he obviously would have found a way out. The films portray him as being clever and we never saw a definitive death shot of him in the original film like we got with Jango Fett where you can literally see the shadow of his decapitated head bouncing and rolling away. (yes this is really in episode II).
    It wasn't until the 1997 S.E. cannon retcon that we see he was definitively swallowed down an esophagus as well as likely having lots of his bones broken in the Sarlac's beak.

26. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

I simply don't think this movie would have ever done well in the first place. We're talking about a guy who has very little screentime and his popularity is based on his total mysterious. Look at some of the replies here, the emphasis is on how mysterious he is and how they imagine his past was and what situations he was in. That is simply a recipe for disaster. No matter how they made the movie they were going to piss off a large portion of the Boba Fett fanbase simply because the Fett portrayed in the movie isn't the Fett people were looking for.

Besides the rabid Fett fans, who are you going to make this movie for? You already know you're probably going to piss off at least 50% of the Fett fans no matter what so what kind of fans and numbers are you going to look at making the movie for? No matter what they do, they'll end up pissing off more Fett fans and end up making some generic movie attempting to appeal to a broad audience that probably doesn't care about him in the first place.

From the first rumors of this movie I figured it would be a mess if they ever made it and I think it's a good thing it's not going through.

Dunnlang, AlphaQup, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  27. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

I'd rather have a film about Chewbacca and a cast consisting solely of Wookies.

Imagine the intensity and focus of all the these star wars nerds camping out 3 days ahead of release date, just so they can read all of the "GRRRRRaWR!" sounding sub titles at the theater for 2 straight hours?

Entertainment for sure.

28. stolikat

stolikat n00b

Oh yes bring on the Chewbacca movie!! :)

29. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

Chewies' lines aren't actually subtitled in the Star Wars movies at the theater. You would need subtitles for the hearing impaired for any type of wookie subtitles, but you're not going to be getting those at the theater. Even the Holiday Special didn't subtitle the wookies, and that had more wookie speak in it than any of the movies did.

Dunnlang likes this.
  30. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

I don’t watch Star Wars to be preached at by the PC brigade. I watch stuff like Star Wars to escape the PC brigade preaching.

And relating to the idea of a Boba Fett movie... Blah Blah, a character seen on screen for mere seconds does not make a movie. The Mandalorian is the Boba Fett movie, or what is left of it, serialised and refocused to a wider scope. It has promise, but after the NPCs takeover of Lucasfilm, I will approach with extreme caution, and bale out at the first PC sermon.

31. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Couldn't have said it better. I too loved R1 and it's by far the best of the new Star Wars films. It is Star Wars without most of the PC bullshit and trying to remake old roles that can't be remade, especially not with a dash of virtue signalling thrown in.

AlphaQup and Armenius like this.
  32. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Still no word on the Christmas special sequel?!

33. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Let's see - get me once for a $10 movie theater ticket or get me for $9.99 per month for a few months via Disney Streaming membership fees ... hmmm which should they do?

Dunnlang likes this.
  34. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

Probably a good choice. The only recent Star Wars movies I liked is Rogue One. It was a much darker story line and didn't seem obsessed with selling toys nor have any social/political agendas. (If anything, it blurred the lines and showed the dark side of the rebels with assassinations, etc).
    Solo? Barely remember the movie. I haven't even considered buying it or watching again.
    This will never happen, but how about a few rated R Star Wars movies? Hutt (this could be interesting - Quentin Tarantino is director). Darth Maul origin movie - show the real dark side. Vader - what did he do after being turned until Episode IV?

35. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

Did you guys really want to see... Star Wars: Boba Shot First?

36. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Fine with me. I'd rather see them scrap the whole series than see these moon bat's continue to disembowl the most believed movie franchise in history movie by movie.

Armenius and Stimpy88 like this.
  37. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

Favreau kicks ass, remember this is the guy that started the MCU revolution with IRONMAN

dvsman, Wrecked Em and Etherton like this.
  38. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardness Supreme

The sad thing is that Solo was actually a good movie with lots of fun character development. I skipped it in theaters because of the negative hype and was pleasantly surprised when I finally got the Blu-Ray.

I liked Rouge One, but lets face it, the characters were forgettable. The third act really carries the film.

39. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

Always viewed any Boba Fett movie as pretty much a waste of electrons. Yet another prequel where we know how it ends. Now if they wanted to make a more generalized movie that described a bounty hunter organization that Boba Fett was part of, say one similar to the SyFy Killjoys outfit, that might be entertaining. Vader in the movies made use of bounty hunters on occasion so we have to assume the Empire at least tolerated their existence. Is the tolerance due to it being too much trouble to stamp them out or because they can be more effective then a squad of storm troopers for some missions?

Dunnlang likes this.
  40. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

He's a character that's literally made for tv episodic content. Take a bounty, kill said target, rinse repeat. Not sure how a movie would have ever made sense given his profession. It'll be like the witcher in space minus the womanizing.