LTT: Which Mechanical Keyboard Switches are BEST? Blind Test!

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
The team do a blind test of over 20 mechanical key switches from Cherry, Kailh, Gateron, Zeal PC, and more to figure out which switch most people prefer in their mechanical keyboards.

Filter

[H]F Junkie
i still prefer holy pandas. shocked they were only even mentioned on a slide in that video.

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I like Cherry Red and clear Silent.

Interested in trying some of their new speed (less travel) switches though.

I have a few keyboards with different Cherry MX switches but don't like them as much.

I even bought a NOS really old keyboard (XT/AT compatible) keyboard that has clone Cherry MX switches for use on my retro systems. The switches are supposed to be socketed so super easy to switch to whatever Cherry MX switch I want to if those switches die. (EDIT 2: - decided to check it out since I still hadn't looked at it. The switches are actually ALPS switches. Now I just have to buy US keycaps for it since it came with German keycaps.)

Gateron switches are trash IMHO.

Edit: Only slightly less bad are the Logitech Romer-G.

I tested both Romer-G and Gateron in stores when I was shopping for keyboards and couldn't stand either.

Main home keyboard is a Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry MX Clear.
Work keyboard is a Cherry MX Board 6.0 with Cherry MX Red.

Pretty much the perfect switches for me.

Last edited:

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Buckling Spring forever!
What about NKRO? While I do like old Model M keyboards for older stuff, they really aren't my favorite. After all, all they really are is a clicky membrane keyboard.

Wat

n00b
I have owned a lot of keyboards over the years, used a lot more at the jobs I've worked. Not just pc keyboards, dumb terminals, xterms, custom built consoles, etc.
My favorite is still the ibm model m. The one I bought with a ps/2 in 1987 has been back on my desk for the last 10 years.
Ironically, my least favorite keyboard is a mechanical one. It's on my wife's desk.....

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I have owned a lot of keyboards over the years, used a lot more at the jobs I've worked. Not just pc keyboards, dumb terminals, xterms, custom built consoles, etc.
My favorite is still the ibm model m. The one I bought with a ps/2 in 1987 has been back on my desk for the last 10 years.
Ironically, my least favorite keyboard is a mechanical one. It's on my wife's desk.....
I'm typing this on a IBM Model M with a manufacturing date of 16MAR1988. Just working on bench testing my X99 stuff so I pulled this kb out to use.
I pulled this keyboard out of a dumpster probably 25 years ago when a local office building was being remodeled.

When I went to college I left it with my parents and my dad used it for about 20 years.

I got it back from him the last time I went to visit and completely disassembled and cleaned it after I got back home.

That being said, I can type faster with a Cherry MX linear switch equipped keyboard.

I got the K70 RGB with speed switches I ordered and it is very, very nice.... a bit louder than my Strafe RGB with silent reds... but even nicer to type on.

I have a bunch of different mechanical keyboards, mostly with different Cherry MX switches, but the linear speed switches are sooooooo nice.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't had a chance to test every switch personally, but based upon what I know about the switches, I figure I would probably like Browns or possibly one of the alternative brands of browns.

KazeoHin

Supreme [H]ardness
I sell keyboards at my shop and honestly there is no such thing as the 'perfect' switch. That's like saying there is a 'perfect' ice cream. Some are lower quality but overall it's the subjective feel of the switch in the hands of the customer that makes them feel better.

I prefer cherry or gateron Greens. Love the tactility, love the force. But some people prefer Reds, or even plain membrane squish. There's nothing wrong with those choices.

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I sell keyboards at my shop and honestly there is no such thing as the 'perfect' switch. That's like saying there is a 'perfect' ice cream. Some are lower quality but overall it's the subjective feel of the switch in the hands of the customer that makes them feel better.

I prefer cherry or gateron Greens. Love the tactility, love the force. But some people prefer Reds, or even plain membrane squish. There's nothing wrong with those choices.
Heresy! Membrane squish is the DEVIL! Not to mention that almost all of them are utter crap when it comes to long term reliability.

Only those unwashed peasants who have never tried a good mechanical switch would say that.

Pabaisa

Weaksauce
Was using cherry brown switches before (was not satisfied), went to logitech g910 (switches started dying after a year of use) and now am back to using my old but trusty sidewinder x6. Will use it till it dies as I did not get any more satisfaction from using mechanical (and I really tried) than using a good membrane keyboard (and sidewinder X6 is really good in that respect). The only garbage"high end" membrane keyboard I had was logitech G19. Man, that thing was utter garbage (for actual use of keys, LCD was/is awesome) for the price it was sold at.

sharknice

2[H]4U
Basing your switch preference on subjective feelings is for softcore peasants.

atarione

[H]ard|Gawd
I have to wonder if keyboard design / materials / manufacturer isn't at least a big a issue as key switch choice... stabilizer design (crap) Cherry ... lol. or Awesome Costar..

I mean a cheap Chinesium $24 aliexpress special with the switches you like may still be like butt to use because of poor construction... I don't like blues but I'd rather use a decent Filco w/ mx-blues than some $25 gamer font POS from Aliexpress.

whatever I have settled on mx-red's with dampers which for myself is a great combo.. also Filco Master race.. my MT2 TKL is over 5 years old and it is perfect still.

filcoTKL.jpg

Topweasel

[H]ard|Gawd
I have to wonder if keyboard design / materials / manufacturer isn't at least a big a issue as key switch choice... stabilizer design (crap) Cherry ... lol. or Awesome Costar..

I mean a cheap Chinesium $24 aliexpress special with the switches you like may still be like butt to use because of poor construction... I don't like blues but I'd rather use a decent Filco w/ mx-blues than some $25 gamer font POS from Aliexpress.

whatever I have settled on mx-red's with dampers which for myself is a great combo.. also Filco Master race.. my MT2 TKL is over 5 years old and it is perfect still.
Getting into Keyboard options like crazy. Trying to find the perfect setup for every use. Ducky Mini for laptop bag, Huntsman with Linear optical switches for gaming station, Ducky full size with silent reds for work and so on. Even going to dabble in self build keyboard if for no other reason to say I did (hell the switches I am looking at will cost me the same as most of the rest of the keyboards, but if I am doing it, I am doing it right). But outside lubing, specially lubing the stabilizers, and knowing what kind of switch you like (Tactile, Clicky, Linears), chassis and key caps seem to have a much larger affect then the billions of slight switch variations out there. Heck on even the most basic level, I really doubt most people could tell the difference between something like a black or red Cherry with their different actuation weight differences. Sure once you have them both next to you and can compare the two directly maybe. Also maybe on the extreme end. Base Cherry's vs the more extreme switches that are you also hand lubed. In the end it comes back to how good of a chasis and using good solid caps. Probably the biggest issue is the cheaper boards out there use really thin abs caps. So much so that ABS I think gets a bad name (though the shine is real). But those crappy caps mess with sound, the feel of the press, and are probably the biggest reason for dislike of some boards over others.

Epos7

Limp Gawd
I've only tried a handful of switches, but I'm liking the Cherry MX Clear setup I've been using for the last couple years. They felt a little rough at first, but the action is really nice and smooth now. I've got o-rings under them for noise reduction.

In my experience it's not just the switch either. Keyboard feel is really a combination of the switches, keys and chassis. Same switches feel a bit different with PBT keycaps than ABS. A heavy stiff chassis feels a lot different than a light flexible one.

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
I honestly can't tell a damn different between different switches. I have a Corsair on with red and it is fine? Sure they are better then membrane I the difference is not earth shattering like some people make out even between different cheery keys. I just don't get it. I don't feel my typing speed changes much between any kbs.

Bitbat

n00b
I honestly can't tell a damn different between different switches. I have a Corsair on with red and it is fine? Sure they are better then membrane I the difference is not earth shattering like some people make out even between different cheery keys. I just don't get it. I don't feel my typing speed changes much between any kbs.
Mx reds are too springy and sensitive

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
Really it's construction. Same MX switches, even the same caps, and one can have totally different experiences with different chassis and stabilizers and so on.

Wife got a Ducky One Two, I have a Durgod; compared to a Corsair? Or Razer? Toss the big-names in the trash.

Keljian

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a razer blackwidow elite with yellow key switches - I got it because it was on sale for 50% off. I have zero issues with it now, but it took me a while to adjust to it.