LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i Slow Performance

yoyosuper8

n00b
Hi, I recently acquired an LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i with a battery backup and 512MB of internal RAM. This card provides hardware raid 0, 1, 5, 6 and raids 10, 50, 60 span.
I am currently seeing 50MB/s write speeds and 40MB/s read speeds. I was expecting write speeds of 100MB/s to 200MB/s and read speeds in the near 100MB/s. I don't know what else to do or how I should change my setup in order to increase the write/read speeds.

I created two spans (each span has two 1TB drives assigned to it) in order to create RAID 10 array.

Here is how I have setup the raid 10 array in the LSI WebBIOS:
PROPERTIES
RAID Level: 10
Strip Size: 1024KB
Capacity: 1.818TB (Four 1TB drives 7200RPMs Western Digital)
SSD Caching: Disabled

POLICIES
Access: RW
Read: Normal
Disk Cache: NoChange
I/O: Direct
Disable BGI: No
Default Write: Write Back with BBU

I have VMware ESXI 5.5u2 on a separate hard drive. In the ESXI I created a new datastore for the array. Then, I created a virtual machine onto another datastore and added a new Hard Disk and pointed to the new datastore for the raid 10 array. In the virtual machine I installed Windows 7 in which I created a new logical volume GPT, then I network shared the new logical volume and from another computer in the network I'm uploading and downloading large ISO files of 3GB or 4GB.

That's my current setup. Does anyone have any input or ideas on what I can do to increase my read/write speeds? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Did you ever figure anything out with this? Having the same issue with the same card.

I just installed my 9260-8i on a raid5 configuration and am getting great read/write speeds so far. Using it on a full 8x speed pci express 2.0 slot?

What's the battery status? The battery that came with mine was toast, so it's on write through and that's about the speed I get.

Well there's definitely something wrong, but I'm guessing it's nothing to do with your array settings.

The only thing I would do differently in your array (assuming that battery backup isn't just for looks) is to enable write-back cache (and if the 9260-8i has replaceable ram max it out).

Back