LSI Card on Commodity Hardware?

librarat

n00b
I've read things over the years about incompatibilities with enterprise grade hardware (RAID Controllers) not working in commodity hardware.

I'm in the process of building a new NAS and am eying the 9266-8i

Given that this NAS is hardware raid, RAM and CPU aren't critical to me. This card also provides me the opportunity to expand greatly in the future.

So my question is : can I use this card (provided adequate airflow) in say, a board like this?

My 9265 has worked on just about every board (all asus) I have used. They have all been intel though. The only one I ever had any problems with was the Gigabyle X38... but that thing sucked all the way around.

Define commodity hardware. Are you talking about Tier 1/2 OEM Desktops like HP, Dell, Lenovo? Or Desktop grade whitebox parts?

While it doesn't look like it you can check the compatibility list here.

I saw that, but the PERC 6/i (as with a lot of components) never list consumer end products, but work flawlessly none the less. I pick on the PERC 6/i because it's known quite well as a cheap RAID controller that can do a lot, and it works in almost all off-the-shelf component builds. It's also feature packed for what you pay for.

Define commodity hardware. Are you talking about Tier 1/2 OEM Desktops like HP, Dell, Lenovo? Or Desktop grade whitebox parts?

EG: Building your own PC. Not pre-fab boxes from manufacturers.

I've never heard of or had issues with LSI stuff in whitebox builds. OEMs, yes due to strict limitations in their BIOS builds. I've had Perc6i's in my Asus boards, as well as an H710 (Dell OEM'd LSI) in there currently.

I've had Perc6i's in my Asus boards, as well as an H710 (Dell OEM'd LSI) in there currently.

I've been wary of migrating to an H710 as I thought they did away with the interoperability. Did you just reflash the card to SLI firmware, or does it work as-is? Which re-branded card is the H710?

I've never heard of or had issues with LSI stuff in whitebox builds.

Awesome, excellent to hear.

Last edited:
Well I have tested my IBM M1015 (LSI 9240) and older consumer hardware definitely didn't like it. Gigabyte cards are known to be troublesome, and indeed it didn't work on my P35-DS3P boards, then I also tried an old DFI NF4 SLI with no luck. On two X58 boards (Asrock X58 Extreme 3 and MSI X58 Big Bang XPower) and one AMD 970 (Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0) it works fine, and I flashed it without trouble on the first.

Other things that have been mentioned as potential problems are PCIe switches often found on crossfire/SLI oriented motherboards.

I saw that, but the PERC 6/i (as with a lot of components) never list consumer end products, but work flawlessly none the less.

You're "eyeing" an LSI product but thinking PERC?

Go for it and let us know the results.

You're "eyeing" an LSI product but thinking PERC?

Go for it and let us know the results.

No. Two unrelated statements. I currently use a PERC 6/i and it works flawlessly. I'm going down the upgrade road and am looking at several LSI cards, but am wondering if they'll work with Whitebox hardware.

Just go with whitebox server boards like Supermicro and you won't have any issues. I have a bunch of supermicro boards in the wild with LSI cards with no issues.

No. Two unrelated statements. I currently use a PERC 6/i and it works flawlessly. I'm going down the upgrade road and am looking at several LSI cards, but am wondering if they'll work with Whitebox hardware.

I see says the blind Old Hippie.

While it's true LSI can't possibly all MBs for compatibility I would be reluctant to try it on anything AMD.

Just go with whitebox server boards like Supermicro and you won't have any issues. I have a bunch of supermicro boards in the wild with LSI cards with no issues.

Supermicro stuff is hit and miss though really. They've had some shitty designs where they had to release an entire new motherboard to fix basic things.. like nic ordering LOL.

MSI mobos seems to work, my Intel mobo works somewhat (the card works but you cannot flash it) so its really a hit or miss. Fujitsu Esprimo series seems very reliable in that regard, I've used a few different models to flash M1015 cards and all have worked fine so far.
//Danne

Back