LSI 9271-8i and booting?

DigitalLF

n00b
Problem solved. DOA Drive.

Hay first timer here.

i got my self a HW Raid controller a few days ago but the first "SFF8087 <-> 4sata" cable i got did not work but when i try with a new one i got today i get stuck at this screen
Dhy86.jpg

and if i wait a while it starts booting windows but it gets stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen and the animation just keeps going but nothing happens.

is it the built-in raid controller on the motherboard* that's making this problem?

the computer boots fine when the SFF8087 cable is disconnected.

*motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

Problem solved. DOA Drive.

Last edited:
I would put your SSD back on the motherboard ports. Also did you go into the firmware of the card and create an array?

the SSD is the OS drive its connected to the motherboard and i did not go into the firmware and create a array i will use the card just like a HBA for a few weeks until i get the money to get some new drives.

So you have more than 1 SSD? I ask because your output shows an Intel ssd connected to the raid controller. It would not be listed there if it was connected to the motherboard.

Also you may want to pull the SAS cable so it boots and then install the device driver for the card.

Well the SSD is connected to the motherboard on the onboard sata2 ports and my motherboard also got 2 sata3 ports but the SSD is just a old x25 sata2 intel drive. and the system boots fine if i do not connect the sata cables from the LSI controller.

my motherboard info at gigabyte.com

the driver wore installed before inserting the card.

Last edited:
What i will connect to the LSI 9271-8i is 3 Seagate 3tb drives to start with. none of the ones connected to the Intel onboard controller.

If it's getting stuck at Starting Windows then it's most likely the HBA not initializing the drives. I had a similar issue where booting would take a while on a 9211-8i.

For example, in the picture below storport.sys blocks Windows from loading any other drivers for 11 seconds:

That's roughly the same time it takes the MTP2 SAS BIOS screen during POST. Maybe your HDDs are having issues?

yeah i just figured something out... i tested with just connecting another drive to my 9271 and it booted and everything's seems OK.... so the problem is my 3 new Seagate ST3000DM001 3tb... there seems to be firmware updates to the drive but it seems impossible for me to install them.... getting a bit pissed here... im trying to figure out why i cant install the updates..

In most cases you will need to install the drive firmware with them attached to the motherboard ports not a raid card or even an HBA. Also you may have to set the mobo back to ide emulation mode for the drives to detect under the dos based firmware updater.

Yeah i know. well... and then i tried the dos tool and it did not work so i booted windows in IDE mode and ran the windows firmware update tool and it restarted my computer and stopped at where windows normally starts but it just told me "Seagate" and just stood there so it destroyed my MBR so.. I'm stock for the moment.. I'm working on getting the MBR fixed.

I've spent a lot of time just to get those 3 disk up and running but this must be the most stupid tool i have used in a long time.

Your 3T ST3000DM001 drives do not seem to appear on the campatibility list. (Perhaps I did not see them. Perhaps I have the wrong list.)

well this is just freaking great... I'm totally new to all this concerning raid so that's why i did not check the "compatibility list" and what i gotten so far is 3 ST3000DM001 that is not on compatible for 9271 and a system crash deluxe with lost data.

i freaking hate Seagate now for the first time ever.... there firmware upgrade program just started in windows and rebooted my computer and at that point i got a Seagate boot loader instead of windows own... and that just crashed and now I'm near breaking point for all my lost configure for my computer and a lot of lost data..

my system was encrypted so restoring just the boot loader did not help. i even tried to decrypt the system drive but all seemed lost even with a few recovery programs i tested.. it cant get the partition table back..

other firmware upgrade tools like Intel's for SSD is windows based if its not for the system drive but this one rebooted changed my freaking system drive.. way to go Seagate. way to go.... :'(

and the backup is so outdated its not worth much...

Take a breath and step back for a moment.

Don't get pissed at Seagate, or LSI, they are at no fault here.

Also the problem you&#8217;re experiencing is not a reflection on the quality of Seagate&#8217;s products at all, it may be a &#8220;simple&#8221; compatibility issue, or perhaps a faulty LSI Card.

Since you say your data is completely lost I would start a complete rebuild.

I've used the 3TB Seagate Baracuda's with LSI's 9260-4i and I know others have as well without issue.

Perhaps there is something with the newer 9271's with these Seagate drives. You could try contacting LSI about the issue, I'm sure they would help answer this question. I have not yet used a 9271 so do not know from personal experience.
If there is indeed a compatibility issue with the 9271 and these particular Seagate drives maybe you can return the hard drives and use the money to get compatible ones.

Nobody here is trying to belittle or berate you for making a mistake. If people didn&#8217;t make mistakes they wouldn&#8217;t learn from them and do better next time.

If all of your drives are unusable then a fresh look at the situation would be a good start.

We know you have a LSI 9271 RAID card, which version?

We also can see by your first screen shot you have the following drives.
- Intel SSD (boot drive).
- Seagate 1TB.
- 4 x Western Digital Green drives? Are they 3TB?

and your new drives are:
- 3 x Seagate ST3000DM001 drives.

Since these Seagate drives appear to be brand new they probably don&#8217;t need the firmware update.

Here&#8217;s what I would do first.
- Disconnect all Drives except for your boot drive.
- Get your System back up and running on your SSD.
- Install your LSI card onto your motherboard, using the PCIe slot closest to the edge. If you use any others it can cause your video card in the slot closest to your CPU to go down to 8x mode. Also be sure your video card is in the slot closest to your CPU.
- Get and install the Windows Signed Driver 5.5 for your LSI Card.
- Get and install the MegaRAID Storage Manager 5.5 (probably 64-bit, I&#8217;ll assume you install 64-bit windows).
- Check through MegaRAID Storage Manager what Firmware is currently on your LSI Card.
*** I will check on my configuration at home and tell you how to check the current firmware.

- If it is not the 5.5 Firmware Get the 5.5 Firmware for your LSI 9271 card.
You can update your firmware through the MegaRAID Software very easily within windows.

I read through the Updates in the latest Firmware and was amazed at how much they have fixed. Nothing specific to Seagate Hard drives but perhaps there is something in there that will help.

Anyway this would be the first steps to take to try to resolve the situation.

At this stage, you could also connect your new Seagate drives to your motherboards connectors to check what firmware is currently on them.

Since it appears that your system won&#8217;t boot with these Seagate drives attached to the LSI card, do the above without connecting theses drives that seem to be causing an issue.

I think this is a reasonable approach to start with. If after all this is done you connect the Seagate drives to the LSI Controller and your system doesn&#8217;t boot up then it is time to contact LSI to get their opinion.

At that time they may recommend to you to get different drives. Which may suck if you can&#8217;t return the ones you have purchased. You usually can return them within 30 days.

Hopefully some of this information can help you get your system back on its feet.

Good luck.

Take a breath and step back for a moment.

Don't get pissed at Seagate, or LSI, they are at no fault here.
I was just generally pissed but Seagate and LSI got it this time.

Also the problem you’re experiencing is not a reflection on the quality of Seagate’s products at all, it may be a “simple” compatibility issue, or perhaps a faulty LSI Card.
True i just wanted people to know that the firmware tool starts as a GUI tool and after i read everything and confirmed it showed a promt (changed my boot loader) for a few sec and then rebooted with a CLI tool for upgrading the drives.

Since you say your data is completely lost I would start a complete rebuild.
the data that wore lost wore just on the SSD 80gb but that info wore very important to me and that's why I'm really sad.

I've used the 3TB Seagate Baracuda's with LSI's 9260-4i and I know others have as well without issue.
I'm glad to hear that people get it to work so i havent used up alot of money on drives i can't use.

Perhaps there is something with the newer 9271's with these Seagate drives. You could try contacting LSI about the issue, I'm sure they would help answer this question. I have not yet used a 9271 so do not know from personal experience.
If there is indeed a compatibility issue with the 9271 and these particular Seagate drives maybe you can return the hard drives and use the money to get compatible ones.
two of the drives are about two months old. 3 was a xmas gift.

Nobody here is trying to belittle or berate you for making a mistake. If people didn’t make mistakes they wouldn’t learn from them and do better next time.
good to hear. :)

If all of your drives are unusable then a fresh look at the situation would be a good start.

We know you have a LSI 9271 RAID card, which version?

the drives are fine, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i

We also can see by your first screen shot you have the following drives.
- Intel SSD (boot drive).
- Seagate 1TB.
- 4 x Western Digital Green drives? Are they 3TB?

and your new drives are:
- 3 x Seagate ST3000DM001 drives.

Since these Seagate drives appear to be brand new they probably don’t need the firmware update.
Intel 80gb, Seagate 1TB, 4x 2b Green (EARS i think haven't connected them yet after reinstall).

but when i ran Seagate's tool to check firmware the homepage told me a firmware was not needed but in there forum there was a update because a lot of people seemed to have some problem with life shortening and weird sounds from the drive i will get back ASAP with the current firmware and the update firmware.

Here’s what I would do first.
- Disconnect all Drives except for your boot drive.
- Get your System back up and running on your SSD.
- Install your LSI card onto your motherboard, using the PCIe slot closest to the edge. If you use any others it can cause your video card in the slot closest to your CPU to go down to 8x mode. Also be sure your video card is in the slot closest to your CPU.
- Get and install the Windows Signed Driver 5.5 for your LSI Card.
- Get and install the MegaRAID Storage Manager 5.5 (probably 64-bit, I’ll assume you install 64-bit windows).
- Check through MegaRAID Storage Manager what Firmware is currently on your LSI Card.
*** I will check on my configuration at home and tell you how to check the current firmware.

- If it is not the 5.5 Firmware Get the 5.5 Firmware for your LSI 9271 card.
You can update your firmware through the MegaRAID Software very easily within windows.

I read through the Updates in the latest Firmware and was amazed at how much they have fixed. Nothing specific to Seagate Hard drives but perhaps there is something in there that will help.

Anyway this would be the first steps to take to try to resolve the situation.
i always disconnect all other drives then the system drive when i install a OS :p

i did not know that the raid controller could slowdown the video card. but i had already placed the video card closest to the CPU and the LSI furthest from CPU.

and i have the 5.5 driver x64 and Storage Manager x64 and the firmware i upgraded the same day that i got the card so sadly that was not it.

At this stage, you could also connect your new Seagate drives to your motherboards connectors to check what firmware is currently on them.

Since it appears that your system won’t boot with these Seagate drives attached to the LSI card, do the above without connecting theses drives that seem to be causing an issue.

I think this is a reasonable approach to start with. If after all this is done you connect the Seagate drives to the LSI Controller and your system doesn’t boot up then it is time to contact LSI to get their opinion.

At that time they may recommend to you to get different drives. Which may suck if you can’t return the ones you have purchased. You usually can return them within 30 days.

Hopefully some of this information can help you get your system back on its feet.

Good luck.
i will take a look again to see what is firmware the drives got. I really appreciate that you took the time to look into it for me. i took it a bit hard what you wrote in the other thread so i really feel much better now :)

i just found out what the problem was... the drive i got for Christmas was a DOA when i tested it against the motherboard my POST told me that it could not even check the SMART status so i will be returning that one later today.

Fantastic news!

That should be an easy replacement and then your off to the races!

gotten a new harddrive today. =) i kinda got one more while i was in the store... 4x 3tb Seagate ST3000DM001 in total now...

Back