LSI 9260-8i On the Way, Now Which SSD's?

theseeker

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
2,245
I finally decided upon the LSI 9260 and now I have to make a decision regarding the SSD's.

I could wait and I probably will, but patience not being my best friend, I can order the Crucial C300, Corsair P3 or just wait?

Decisions?
 

sub.mesa

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
2,508
You would have to choose between a current generation SSD or wait for the new 25nm SSD generation to show up, SATA 6Gbps and supercapacitor.

Rumors have it that 25nm NAND is facing serious performance problems and is the cause behind Intel 's delay for introducing its newest generation G3 controllers and 25nm memory. They did release a new 6Gbps SATA 34nm SSD (Emcrest) but that's not the real deal and unsure when 25nm generation will be ready. Perhaps we have to wait for April for both Chipset 60-series and 25nm NAND would leave Intel's factories (well IMFT) to be processed in new Intel products; i'm feeling a bit discouranged about the introduction of new SSDs; technical problems often mean delays or a worse product so bad news for us consumers.
 

john4200

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
1,537
Rumors have it that 25nm NAND is facing serious performance problems and is the cause behind Intel 's delay for introducing its newest generation G3 controllers and 25nm memory.

I think the real test will be whether the C400 / M4 is released soon, and whether its specs meet or exceed those of the C300.

I haven't seen any official announcement from Intel, ever, about the release date of the G3. Just rumors.

In contrast, Micron has announced the the C400 is expected to ship this month, and even announced some specs. So, I will wait until at least the end of the month to see if Micron delivers before believing rumors about problems with the 25nm flash (the Sandforce issues could just be due to the Sandforce controller not properly working with the 25nm flash).
 

Computurd

Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
956
man i dunno bout that ssd. that is the thing about these ssd...very expensive to play beta tester with. i would recommend waiting. dude you dont wanna pull the trigger on something and just regret the hell out of it .
 

fatguy

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 25, 2005
Messages
93
If you plan on doing a lot of writing, I'd still prefer the OZ Vertex 2 - and take the hit on the read speeds for 3-4x write throughput...
 

Computurd

Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
956
, I'd still prefer the OZ Vertex 2 - and take the hit on the read speeds for 3-4x write throughput...

sorry man that is only with HIGHLY compressible data. incompressible data its writes can be worse than an idilinx.
 

Old Hippie

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
6,013
I am trying to wait for the C400's but I only have two - three weeks!
I'm waiting for the C400s also but I want the prices to drop on the C300s.

My first one's getting lonely and looking for someone to RAID with.:D
 
Top