lowest power video card?

stormy1

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dell 3910 with a 180w supply one of my programs does not like the opengl support on the intel gpu.
It does not take a lot of power to run, just decent opengl support.
System:
  • Intel Core 12th Generation i5-12400 Processor (6 Core, Up to 4.40GHz, 18MB Cache, 65W)
  • 512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
  • 12GB (1X8GB + 1X4GB) Up to 3200MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC
  • Dvd burner and a SATA drive also need to be added.
Is it even possible with only 180w to work with?
Thank you in advance for any help!!!

That CPU alone turbos to 117w power consumption. Between the CPU's TDP and motherboard power, that PSU has to be right on the line. It's gotta be pushing >80% utilization at peak load.

I would absolutely not plug a discrete graphics card into that system without a power supply upgrade. Any card that draws more than ~30w -- which is all of them -- will end up tripping overcurrent protection.

This assumes the PSU even has overcurrent protection. Which I wouldn't. Because Dell is clearly fixing to skimp on every component feasible, to the point of negligence.

rx6400 pulls about 44watts and it's a little bit faster than gtx1650.

Last edited:
What level of OpenGL support do you need? It may be worth looking for an old card like GT 710, OGL support can be better on older architectures since it's basically a depreciated API at this point.

That CPU alone turbos to 117w power consumption. Between the CPU's TDP and motherboard power, that PSU has to be right on the line. It's gotta be pushing >80% utilization at peak load.

I would absolutely not plug a discrete graphics card into that system without a power supply upgrade. Any card that draws more than ~30w -- which is all of them -- will end up tripping overcurrent protection.

This assumes the PSU even has overcurrent protection. Which I wouldn't. Because Dell is clearly fixing to skimp on every component feasible, to the point of negligence.
It’s an OEM Dell psu so that’s actually rated. To run that at 100% duty cycle. That’s why the power is so low

What level of OpenGL support do you need? It may be worth looking for an old card like GT 710, OGL support can be better on older architectures since it's basically a depreciated API at this point.
Not sure but the software is about 10 years old and hasn't been updated in a long time.
I decided that its to close to the edge to add a card without a powersupply upgrade and since most of the features work im just going to live with the ones that don't for now.
Thank you for the help everyone!!!!!!!!

Back