Lowe's Uses Virtual Reality to Allow Customers to 'Try Before They Buy'

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Lowe's is using virtual reality (VR) to educate customers and sales associates about power tools sold in their stores. By utilizing the HTC Vive VR platform and custom haptics installed onto props that mimic the weight, sound, feel and even smell of power tool demo'd; Lowe's is able to teach safety and best usage practices. They even have award winning creative classes to show customers how to create unique shapes with a hedge trimmer!

How does VR compare to traditional training methodology?

An earlier iteration of our VR training platform showed that Lowe's employees experienced 127% increase in confidence post-experience--that's nearly 4x higher than conventional training. Stats like this are what drive our team to continue pushing the limits of AR and VR.

Learning how to trim hedges by actually doing it.......learning to carve shapes....that's brilliant. Do they do this for hair stylists yet? My god why hasn't someone done a VR game for Girls/Boys that lets you style hair to your hearts content. No it's not a fetish. No, seriously.

Learning how to trim hedges by actually doing it.......learning to carve shapes....that's brilliant. Do they do this for hair stylists yet?
That would be a great use for VR! What if you took a series of photos and then stitched them together to recreate your head. Then send that to a stylist so that they can show you what styles they think would fit you in your VR headset?

That would be pretty darn awesome!

Or a cleaning service that shows you before and after VR video of a contract that they fulfilled so you can see the work that they can perform?

Dumbest ... thing ... ever

Ok maybe not the dumbest, but yeah it's pretty fucking dumb. Because I'm sure the VR system is going to mimic the way the tool reacts when it hits something, maybe they got the weight down with the prop that you hold? but they can't simulate any intense vibration or torquing done by holding the tool.

really not cool with putting something on my face that has touched other random peoples faces

really not cool with putting something on my face that has touched other random peoples faces

These things are easy enough to clean between uses. Use washable face masks and wipe down with a microfiber cloth and hand sanitizer, cleans the lenses as well. Something that takes all of couple of minutes once you're practiced doing it.

They have those VR headset condoms.

Also we need this we need more apps like this and practical things. VR is always going to be leftovers and forgotten unless it gets more exposure. More exposure means more people and thus more games and innovation for VR.

I wonder if it will simulate accidentally shooting a nail in your hand with a nail gun.

These things are easy enough to clean between uses. Use washable face masks and wipe down with a microfiber cloth and hand sanitizer, cleans the lenses as well. Something that takes all of couple of minutes once you're practiced doing it.

I watched a lady demo'ing at best buy with the PS4VR clean it between uses, she did I think an admirable job and I would have put it on my face.

I wonder if it will simulate accidentally shooting a nail in your hand with a nail gun.

I had that happen to me a few weeks ago. Fortunately it was only a flesh wound and it did not go through my thumb. I was attaching some cove molding with an 18 guage nailer around some bi-fold doors and the nail bent instead of going into the jamb.

Ya know, I don't need any power tools but if I can get a free chainsaw VR experience, I'm all for it.

I watched a lady clean it between uses, she did I think an admirable job and I would have put it on my face.

Just a minor snip and that sentence becomes hilarious.

Ok maybe not the dumbest, but yeah it's pretty fucking dumb. Because I'm sure the VR system is going to mimic the way the tool reacts when it hits something, maybe they got the weight down with the prop that you hold? but they can't simulate any intense vibration or torquing done by holding the tool.
Actually, with enough spinning weights of various sizes, you can. Not perfectly of course, but pretty close. Sony has been using this tech in their dualshock controllers for a long time now, and have a lot of experience in the subject.

It's actually pretty easy to simulate intense vibration with an electrical tool. Ask your wife, she probably knows a lot about it.

Between the forehead grease and the leftover smell of stomach contents from the dizzy few who cant handle VR this should be a fun adventure for Lowes' employees.

Will they allow you to go to Home Depot in VR because Lowes doesn't carry it?

Can't wait for the pic of someone opening a patio umbrella as someone in real life is bent over next to them. Good times!

Back