Low TF2 Framerate?

Corbin

Limp Gawd
Usually I have a great frame rate when playing TF2 but recently (today (and once last week)) it stutters like crazy and my frame rates drop into the 20's and 30's. I have no idea why and it helps a bit when i lower my resolution/AA but it used to work perfectly. Anyone have any suggestions or know why it's performing poorly?

specs in sig

Have you not restarted your PC in a while? There's always a possibility that some memory leak has caused you to run out of RAM or VRAM. Long shot, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Otherwise, you can try updating to the latest video drivers and hope it fixes a corruption.

Lastly, is your room really hot perhaps? Maybe the card is overheating.

Have you not restarted your PC in a while? There's always a possibility that some memory leak has caused you to run out of RAM or VRAM. Long shot, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Otherwise, you can try updating to the latest video drivers and hope it fixes a corruption.

Lastly, is your room really hot perhaps? Maybe the card is overheating.

I've restarted many times in the last few days due to internet problems and my defrag wasn't working. Internet is stable at 20mb down and 6mb up atm and my computer is defragged so those can't be the problem.

I'll try that in a second.. How do you check which ones you are currently at?

My room is normal temperature and my videocard peaks around 55-58C when playing TF2.

Installed any new programs lately? Any chance you're running the F@H GPU client in the background?

Installed any new programs lately? Any chance you're running the F@H GPU client in the background?

The only thing I remember installing was a new update to Frets on Fire and a few new songs. Although it didn't take much sometime between last Thursday and Sunday I lost 70GB's of space. I have no idea where it went. I used to be at 110GB approx. and then it dropped to 40GB's. No idea what happened so I went through and deleted all my unused demo's and stuff in the "uninstall a program" menu. Then I defragmented and I'm back up to 68 GB's but i have no idea what happened when I had 110. I also installed a separate defragger (Power Defragmenter) as the vista one takes too long.

And no F@H here.

edit: now I checked and I have 46GB... this is really weird.

Last edited:
which drivers are you using? hopefully its not the 185.xx drivers.. if so upgrade the 186.xx.. because the 185's are a pos..

also if you have an anti virus program.. make sure the auto scan is turned off so that its not scanning the system in the background... if it has an active scan feature leave that on.. it shouldnt effect the performance at all..

ultimatedefrag is the only defrag program ever worth using.. besides that one theres O&O defrag.. but ultimatedefrag is still way better..

which drivers are you using? hopefully its not the 185.xx drivers.. if so upgrade the 186.xx.. because the 185's are a pos..

How exactly do I check for drivers? In the GTX 260 properties it lists this as my driver version: "7.15.11.8208" and the driver date is 2/18/09. Does this mean anything or do I find it somewhere else?

edit: I'll try that defrag when I defrag again but is there any defrag that is free that's worth using? I'd rather not pay for a defragging tool.
2nd edit: My anti virus is avg free which is not scanning.

something might have just gotten borked up, try to reinstall the game

You're constantly losing HDD space, and your virus scan isn't working? Sounds like a virus to me.

You're constantly losing HDD space, and your virus scan isn't working? Sounds like a virus to me.

I meant to say it's not scanning as in i don't have it scanning right now. but now it's at 32gb... I'm getting worried.. I'm going to do another scan

Last edited:
Wow...hope you don't have one of those viruses that bad sectors your HDD.

edit: maybe I'm overreacting...but space being eating up that quickly just doesn't seem right. I can't think of what would eat space up that fast.

Is your total space remaining constant?

Wow...hope you don't have one of those viruses that bad sectors your HDD.

I say backup and format ASAP, to be safe.

edit: maybe I'm overreacting...but space being eating up that quickly just doesn't seem right. I can't think of what would eat space up that fast.

it was 32.2gb now it's 32.8gb.. and i don't have anything to back it up onto.. I've been wanting to do a system reinstall but i got this pc from cyberpower and i didn't get an os-install cd.. only a recovery one. and it's vista with the latest updates..

edit: yes the total space is constant at 320gb

Well, I say start looking around your HDD. Start at the C:/ root. Right click -> Properties every folder. Check which ones are really big. Try to zero in on what's taking up so much space.

Well, I say start looking around your HDD. Start at the C:/ root. Right click -> Properties every folder. Check which ones are really big. Try to zero in on what's taking up so much space.

The only big folders are the Program file folder (69.9gb) the user folder (50.3gb) and the windows folder (17.6gb) but those 3 don't add up to 298gb of free hd space.

Edit: a separate desktop folder is taking up 39gb's but i still don't see where 250gb's of used stuff is coming from

Last edited:
Well I decided I'm going to do a fresh system install (I called up CP and they said the disk would work for installs) So I'll get back once I finish installing everything. Thanks!

System install done and tf2 seems to be working top notch. The dissapearing space also seems to have gone away. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Back