Low Super PI 1M scores on C2D

rcrez

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone
I have the ECS P4M800PRO-M and E4300 pin modded from Fry's.

The E4300 is running at 2.40 Ghz and I also have 2GB of DDR2 running at 533 Mhz. Therefore I believe that the memory and FSB are in sync...

My Super PI 1M score is only 30 seconds.

Last generation Athlon 64s run faster than this.....

Most Super PI scores for C2D seem to be around 20 seconds.

What could be wrong?

Actually I believe my memory at 266 Mhz is running 4-4-4-11-15 (as reported straight down by CPU-Z).

Look here
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030669416
"I downclocked my e6300 (machine in sig, memory at 5 5 5 15) to 2.394 GHz as reported by CPU-z and got
for 1million places = 24.266 seconds."

e6300 has same 2MB cache as e4300 and my timings are tighter...
I'm not happy about this
30 seconds vs 24.2 is about 24% slower!!

Dude...

Super Pi doesn't measure how fast your CPU is.

You got a dirt cheap board that probably uses old Via or SiS chipsets. Plus, your FSB/Ram freq is very low. If you want to have a higher Super Pi, run your memory higher.

Just don't worry about it. Your CPU is not 24% slower....

Superpi is more of a FSB test than anything else.

It tests RAM and Cache more than anything else...

Your RAM is running at MOST 66% of what the other person (who got 24s) is running at.

BTW, I went from 512MB DDR400 to 2GB DDR2-533 and my super PI speed didn't improve at all....

both hovered around 30 seconds...

Why is that?
400mhz > 533mhz?

And you guys are also saying that I could potentialy buy a fast CPU and ram but if I put it in a cheap mobo, everything suffers badly (even if the motherboard supports the fast CPU and ram)?

I'd say you may want to invest in a better mobo with an optimized chipset. I used to have a mobo with a Via chipset (Asrock 775 dual-vsta) and it was pretty good. Chipsets optimized for the newer CPUs are better. Your CPU and Ram are fine.

You can find good ones for ~ $100.00 if its ok with your budget.

And you guys are also saying that I could potentialy buy a fast CPU and ram but if I put it in a cheap mobo, everything suffers badly (even if the motherboard supports the fast CPU and ram)?

exactly. your machine is only as fast as the slowest part.

and just because the $80 mobo supports the performance chip it doesnt mean its going to have anywhere near the same performance as it would if you put it in a $300 mobo.

you do get what you pay for- although there is a value curve.

Back