Low power cpu/motherboard that supports ECC? (re: fileserver)

jmk396

Gawd
Right now I have a multi-purpose virtual machine/server that hosts my file server but I'm thinking about offloading that to a dedicated machine and running OpenFiler. (iSCSI, NFS, etc)

Are there any low power cpu/motherboards that support ECC RAM?

Ideally I'd like a small dual-core Intel Atom (which I think would be plenty powerful) but it looks like they don't support ECC.

Anybody know of anything else that will work?

I'm also open to a commercial solution but it would be a big change since I'm currently using a Dell PERC 6i filled with eight drives...

Or go AMD of course. Not like an Openfiler build needs lots of CPU power.

I actually have an AMD Opteron 165 and an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, but the motherboard doesn't support ECC and the Opteron 165 requires a lot of power... :(

If you wanted to go Intel, I would second Blue Fox's suggestion of a 3400 chipset board. The Supermicro X8SIL-F that I and a lot of other's run is pretty solid. Power consumption with a X3430 or X3440 will be near idle for Openfiler (X3440 was 48w on the X8SIL-F), but you are basically going to have a bunch of cores sitting idle/ off. The motherboard + a X3430 is going to run around $400 though and will be huge overkill.

The L3406 is going to save you a few watts but with Openfiler CPU utilization, it isn't going to be as big of a savings as if you were pegged at 80%.

I would still suggest and AMD platform that supports ECC unless you want IPMI 2.0 and KVM over IP in which case, Intel has many more options.

Doesn't sound like mobo size is an issue, but for a mini-ITX board that supports ECC I went with the KINO-780AM2.

http://www.ieiworld.com/product_gro...=09050652111816087425&id=09069696333360342284

Supports ECC and AM3 procs too, as I've had an AMD 4050e, 400e, and now a 605e in it. Also the PCIe supports RAID cards and I've tried it with an Areca 1680IX-24, Adaptec 31605, and an Areca 1260.

Pretty cool little motherboard, but onboard Realtek NICs and it forces you to chose Intel NIC (up to 4 in a quad port card) or Raid controller since there's only one PCIe slot there. Then again, anything without an onboard Intel/Marvell NIC basically is going to take a power penalty from the add-in NIC.

Back