Low OHM with more powerful amp = crappier sound? (Modded DT770s 80ohm, Magni 2 and Fiio e10)*

kaluminati

Gawd
First off, I'm a very old member, but got lost in stupid life decisions so I lost touch with virtually all forums I was apart of so this is my first post in a long time. I wanted it to be a helpful post rather than a need post but oh well.

I apologize if this is a dumb ass question but it's been a while since I have been in the headphone buying game and on an impulse I bought both the fiio ek10 and the magni 2. I've tried both the magni amp running from the fiio line out and the mangi alone / fiio alone.

Given the fact I don't know too much about the amp I had built for me by a mister X over 10+ years ago (on hardforums, tried to get into my old inbox there I guess it no longer exists), I don't know if it's more powerful than these 2 amps or not, but he built it for around $100. I just assumed since I buying much newer amps they'd obviously be more powerful.

Anyhow, I have noticed my sound quality has dropped a lot. I've tried no eq, and EQ using foobar WASPI and ASIO out. I can't seem to tweak it right, the bass is especially horrid.

I've got a basic idea on low vs high OHM, but given my amp situation I hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Would I better my setup if I had a higher ohm headphone? Any suggestions for a pair with similar sound.

Currently contacted mister X to see if he can provide any input.

Any help would be appreciated.

before this setup I was running his amp from WASPI out from speakers out on my onboard sound. I was at least expecting a big jump in sound quality moving to an external DAC (the fiio ek10)

I do not know much about this, can only go with little thoughts on it.

I imagine low resistance powerful amp might mean the "speakers" are drowned out, so the power over does what the speakers are able to deliver, conversely, high ohm speaker but low power amp not enough to drive them properly if at all.

not sure if there is a way to put a resistor or something to reduce the "power" so the low resistance headset/speakers are given what they need instead of being pushed too hard thereby influencing "crappy" sound? just thinking on my evap stuff, low resist coil with very high amp battery, the "quality" of the vape is not quite as nice as properly matched, just like a very high ohm vape with a low power battery, cant push enough or it pushes too hard.

Just a thought, Head-Fi.org might be able help on this as well?

It's all about the current and the voltages. A high ohm headphone needs a high power amplifier to play loud. A high power amp can supply high voltages (and usually current). Reversely a low ohm headphone doesn't need so high 'power' i.e. voltage but it needs a large power supply that can supply enough current.

An amplifier can wear out (especially if it's home made) in many ways. Capacitors can wear down, solderings may crack etc. Or your headphones have working parameters for which your amp is not suitable.

Back