Low Network Utilization

Dokein

n00b
Network Setup:
Comcast HSI Motorolla Cable Modem to
Linksys WRT54G to
-100mbps PCI Card (Machine 1)
-WIFI 54mpbs Linksys card (Machine 2)
-WIFI 54mpbs Intel Pro/Wireless 22000 (Machine3)

When I try and share files, large or small, between any of these machines over the network, I will get, on average, about 20% network utilization. For instance, I transfered a 3gb file from machine 3 to machine 2 today and the maximum utilizaiton I saw was only 30%. Is this normal, or is something wrong with my router settings and/or modem to router wiring? I am using the cables that were provided by comcast and by linksys. Any input would be much appreciated.

The read/write speeds of the hard drives are you limiting factor. And it is totally normal.

it has very little to do with your hd read/write speeds, you are sending data over wireless, and i know they claim 54mbs, but you really can only use half of the (duplex issues) so thats 28mbs, and then you get about half of that because of overhead issues, and you are down to 14mbs, and thats why you only see verry lower network utilization on your wired pc, i bet if you wired in your laptop, and sent it over the wire you network utilization would jump way up (might max it out)

Back