Crashy

n00b
I have ryzen 1600, Crucial 1x8gb 2133 MHz RAM, rx 480 8gb DUAL.

Everything is stock. I am having huge FPS drops ( from 110 down to 50 ). The thing I want to know is my RAM the one which is causing those drops ( bcs ryzen needs faster RAM and two sticks are better than one) or its my CPU or GPU.

Everything is new so I doubt anything could be broken or something like that. I've updated my bios and chipset drivers. Windows 10 is also updated. I am having those drops in the SMITE ( DX9 ) and in the Heroes of the storm ( DX 11).

It might be normal because dx12 is installed on my system and rx 480 performs better in games with dx12, but I wanna hear someone's else opinion.

P.S. Sorry for bad english.

You definitely need to be running two sticks as Ryzen supports dual channel memory. Other than that we don't really have enough information to troubleshoot the issue.

It depend on the game and if it's optimized for Ryzen multithreading and thread affinity yet. Some games have patches for the architecture already. Definitely need two sticks and faster Ram.Take care with choosing Ram kits until the BIOS updates to support more variants.

What resolution do you use? Even RX 480 Crossfire will take a hit if you game at 4K.

What games are you talking about and have you tested different games?

Also, Crossfire can be a hit or miss (depending on the game) and sometimes you have to tweak settings in the AMD panel to get better performance (for example CF AFR mode, etc.)

You need to be dual channel to get the memory less of a bottleneck. For games with a single stick that would suck. If you can, get your ram to at least 2666, that will give a relatively big boost 10-15% for min frame rates. Faster ram than that will help. First for gaming - dual channel - second as fast as your ram can go. HardOCP in their rather extensive RyZen gaming review used 2933mhz ram and the outcome was that the gaming experience was virtually the same as 3600mhz system using a 7700K. Meaning for gaming and gaming experience really all you need to pretty much max out is 2933 and over. going from 2933 to 3200 you will most likely never notice, only a few differences in benchmarks. Yet many folks will moan and groan not reaching 3200.

Now I am not saying not to strive for the fastest memory speeds possible, we are at HardOCP and that is what we do. Just realize it may just not buy you much in the end.

I game at 1080p. I am planning to buy CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2x8gb RAM 3000mhz CL 15. I am not sure if Ryzen is optimized for that RAM so I would like to read your opinion...And as I already mentioned, I play SMITE (DX9) and Heroes of the storm (DX11).

I game at 1080p. I am planning to buy CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2x8gb RAM 3000mhz CL 15. I am not sure if Ryzen is optimized for that RAM so I would like to read your opinion...And as I already mentioned, I play SMITE (DX9) and Heroes of the storm (DX11).

I'm running that ram in my system at 2933mhz (which is the 3000 setting) cas14. Had to bump vram to 1.4v to get it to boot at 2933 but timings are tighter than specced. It is on the QVL for my motherboard, so you might want to check yours.

Crashy, what motherboard are you running? Just curious. Also 100 Agree that 2x8gb at least 2933 mem will make a difference, at least in the titles that the cross fire is not causing issues in.

Crossfire? Depending on the game, can be a big win or a huge fail (see the [H] Definitive Ryzen Gaming Guide, or whatever it's called).

As others have said, get a second stick of ram, and consider going with two 3000+ sticks if you can afford it. It wont be a huge bump in performance, but it should help your minimum framerates a bit.

Look at your motherboard's QVL before you buy any RAM. Ryzen is really REALLY picky.

I am running ASUS B350+ PRIME. I am having trouble with finding my motherboard's QVL so I would ask you to do it for me if you don't mind.

Last edited:
Back