Low fps with 5700 xt

Windows 10 pro, intel i7 4770k stock clock 3.5-3.7hz, gskill ddr3 2400hz - 16 gigs 2 sticks(single channel), asus 5700 xt rog strix(performance mode), pny cs1300 ssd. mobo is slightly defective, 1 ram slot doesn't work.

I am getting 100-150 average on low settings on apex legends at 1080p. highs im reaching 200+ sometimes. I checked gpucheck reported frames with my card is supposed to be about 200 fps on low setting apex legends at 1080p average. That's with a more recent cpu however. im getting 110 frames minimum on some parts of the map and really high like 200 frames on other parts of the map. why am I not getting 200 fps average all the time with this card. Why am I dipping to low 100's.

is the cpu a bottleneck, I couldn't initialize rtss with this card nor afterburner. should I consider getting an ryzen 5 3600 to get higher frames. or is the 4770k enough.

The mobo might be limiting the oc potential with this cpu so I ordered a gigabyte z97 hd3, so whats the verdict.

I bought this mobo to oc the cpu to 4+ ghz. will that make any significant difference.

If I get it past 4ghz. what kind of performance increase will I obtain? how many frames increase can I expect? im aiming for 200+ frames. I just tested bf5 im getting 90-100 frames. thanks for your reply.

the new gigabyte mobo's shipping from china. it'll take 2-4 weeks to arrive. ill run some more tests to see what I can do in the meantime. my msi pcmate z97 doesn't overclock well. couldn't even get the 4770k to 3.9 stable. that's odd considering its my friends cpu and he traded it to me and he got it 4.3 stable. so i'll bump this thread to keep it live. thanks again.

If you increase the resolution /graphics settings and find that the FPS begins matching what you expect then you are probably CPU bottlenecked. If the new motherboard is cheap it might be worth it to try to overclock the 4770k. But if high FPS is absolutely necessary I would probably look at getting a new cpu. I dont know if Apex Legends prefers amd or intel.

If you increase the resolution /graphics settings and find that the FPS begins matching what you expect then you are probably CPU bottlenecked. If the new motherboard is cheap it might be worth it to try to overclock the 4770k. But if high FPS is absolutely necessary I would probably look at getting a new cpu. I dont know if Apex Legends prefers amd or intel.
. Do you mean if I decrease the resolution.

Yeah would definitely OC the CPU. I notice definitely more hitching in games at stock on my 2600k vs 4.4 OC

GPU Check doesn't explain what their FPS measurement is, but looking at some examples I highly doubt it's average. It is most likely maximum observed FPS in however they test, which they don't disclose (as far as I can tell). Other videos I've seen with a similar setup show around 120 FPS average, 200 FPS max, 70 FPS minimum.

. Do you mean if I decrease the resolution.
No. If you increase the graphics settings, and then find comparisons online with the same increased settings, and you find that now the performance is matching, then that probably means your GPU is not the bottleneck.

No. If you increase the graphics settings, and then find comparisons online with the same increased settings, and you find that now the performance is matching, then that probably means your GPU is not the bottleneck.
I'll try it out, went to overclock.net, told me the same thing to overclock. I'll oc when I get there new Mobo. I'll also try that method that you suggested.

i would assume he means the bank. not sure if you can force single channel, i could be wrong...

He said in the OP that his motherboard is defective. If you're running 2 sticks in the "wrong" slots, it will default to single channel. Dual channel is very much dependent upon which slots the RAM is in.

You would think that if the board has issues you could always use the "other" set of slots to still maintain dual channel, but some boards don't post if the first memory bank isn't filled first.

Well with a stock 4770k and only single channel memory you are destroying the performance of a 5700 XT. By how much of course can vary wildly from game to game but you would stand no chance of maintaining even just 60 FPS in some newer games.

You should be able to OC that processor as long as you have decent cooling on it. 4770k's can get quite hot... But a good chip can hit 4.5ghz all core on only 1.2v

Even its a bad chip. You should be able to hit 4.3-4.4ghz on 1.3-1.4v max.

Ocing a 4770k is quite simple if you just want to try a basic overclock

One thing though just from reading your posts.

OC processor first. Then memory. Running 2400mhz DDR3 is quite fast. Bump it down to say 1600mhz with timings of 9-9-9-24 and see if you can get the clock speeds of the cores up.

If that works then you can start bumping back up your ram OC to see what's stable.

Last edited:
Yes, CPU Bottleneck and possible memory bottleneck. You need to get Dual Channel and low to mid 4GHz OC going to feed a 5700XT effectively. I'd go for the overclock first and test.

Last edited:
If you're ordering new mobos of older gens use ebay. Since all haswell boards have been OOP for many years the prices retail stores (amazon/newegg/etc) are very high. You can get an excellent Z87 board for a very reasonable price right now.

You ordered a board that is on the budget tier and won't be very good for OCing.

As others have stated. It’s your CPU and memory. Single channel cripples performance pretty significantly.

Thanks guys, just tried out bf5 with the 5700xt got 60-70 frames on low 1080p.
that's off, definitely the speed of the cpu.
I did order the new motherboard, its at jfk airport right now, was a quick flight, gonna reach in a couple days if they hurry I guess.
I'll try to what my friend got It at which is 4.2 ghz. run prime95 or intel burn test, see whats stable.
I got coolermaster lite aio water cooling as well, keeps the cpu pretty low temp wise.

You should be able to OC that processor as long as you have decent cooling on it. 4770k's can get quite hot... But a good chip can hit 4.5ghz all core on only 1.2v

Even its a bad chip. You should be able to hit 4.3-4.4ghz on 1.3-1.4v max.

Ocing a 4770k is quite simple if you just want to try a basic overclock

One thing though just from reading your posts.

OC processor first. Then memory. Running 2400mhz DDR3 is quite fast. Bump it down to say 1600mhz with timings of 9-9-9-24 and see if you can get the clock speeds of the cores up.

If that works then you can start bumping back up your ram OC to see what's stable.

ill try it all out when i get the new mobo.

Yes, CPU Bottleneck and possible memory bottleneck. You need to get Dual Channel and low to mid 4GHz OC going to feed a 5700XT effectively. I'd go for the overclock first and test.
thanks. ill try it out.

If you're ordering new mobos of older gens use ebay. Since all haswell boards have been OOP for many years the prices retail stores (amazon/newegg/etc) are very high. You can get an excellent Z87 board for a very reasonable price right now.

You ordered a board that is on the budget tier and won't be very good for OCing.

I did use ebay.

first impressions of bf5 were good, but then the novelty kind of wore off after a couple of matches, now im looking to get halo: master chief collection.

Thanks guys, just tried out bf5 with the 5700xt got 60-70 frames on low 1080p.
that's off, definitely the speed of the cpu.
I did order the new motherboard, its at jfk airport right now, was a quick flight, gonna reach in a couple days if they hurry I guess.
I'll try to what my friend got It at which is 4.2 ghz. run prime95 or intel burn test, see whats stable.
I got coolermaster lite aio water cooling as well, keeps the cpu pretty low temp wise.

ill try it all out when i get the new mobo.

thanks. ill try it out.

I did use ebay.

first impressions of bf5 were good, but then the novelty kind of wore off after a couple of matches, now im looking to get halo: master chief collection.

That Halo MCC is a ripoff imo, and plauged with bugs atm. But that mobo should be able to do a 4.2 OC, that's a pretty low OC and very easy to achieve. I thought you were going for 4.6+ and it's good to have a better mobo for those kinds of overclocks.

That Halo MCC is a ripoff imo, and plauged with bugs atm. But that mobo should be able to do a 4.2 OC, that's a pretty low OC and very easy to achieve. I thought you were going for 4.6+ and it's good to have a better mobo for those kinds of overclocks.

What's wrong with my Mobo, can it not oc well.

Your issue is most definitely CPU related. I run a 5700xt and ryzen 3600 with most settings at highest I'm averaging 130fps at 1080p

I would think a stock 4770k should be able to pump out higher than 60-70 fps BF5 1080p low settings. However, this is just a gut feeling, and I dont have experience with BF5, so others will probably know better.

I would think a stock 4770k should be able to pump out higher than 60-70 fps BF5 1080p low settings. However, this is just a gut feeling, and I dont have experience with BF5, so others will probably know better.

He's also running single channel memory configuration

his frame rate sounds about right for BF5 since the cpu at stock clocks is probably holding it back.. for apex it's not uncommon to see crazy dips in frame rate in certain area's so everything seems normal to me.

I just watched this video last night and apparently there's a bug on AMD's drivers with this card specifically (5700 XT) that keeps it from running its proper clock speeds during games specifically at 1080p, which of course keeps it from performance as high as it should.

Not sure if this is OPs issue or not, but definitely seemed relevant.

Back