Low end vs. mid-range switch for small business

porgan

n00b
I need some advice as to whether or nor we would see a performance boost by upgrading our current switches.

Our Setup:
Comcast internet
2 x Dell 2724 switches connected together with a patch cord
Dell server with 6 core CPU

We have about 25 workstations that access the server, which is running a SQL database. The usage is pretty light, so probably only 2 or 3 users would even be active at one time.

We added several networked printers and we ran out of ports on the current 2 switches. So now we need to add in a third Dell 2724, or we were thinking about upgrading to something like a Dell 5548 plus a Dell 5524 or a few Cisco SG300.

I don't think we need any of the advanced features of these switches, but can anyone tell me, in simple terms, will we recognize a real world performance boost from upgrading?

Eric
MO

I would go to dell over the sg300, I rather have HP over those two. But with the workload you have I would just stick with the cheap one.

The only way you would see a performance increase is if you have heavy traffic on the downstream switches.
I would put the printers on the the third switch, along with any other 10Mb or 10/100Mb, or light traffic on the second and third switches.
If you have network devices that talk to each other alot (workgroup server + workgroup, workgroup printer + workgroup) put them on the same switch.

There is a HUGE price difference between the 2724 and 5548, or even the SG300. I like Dell switches and use them pretty regularly. Nothing in your description justifies the cost of an SG300, much less a PC5548. The 27 series switches will be fine.

The biggest bottleneck you could possibly have based on your description is the bandwith between your two switches.

If you have the extra ports you could create a 2Gb lag between the two switches, but as others have said you're not going to see any benefit unless you are saturating one of the uplinks.

My boss bought a 5548 some time ago thinking that he will see a drastic improvement to network speed. It didn't do much. What did help us is to remove few loops that we had on our unmanaged switch. Gigabit is nice and all, but no real "day and night" performance gains.

I would disagree entirely. Assuming your file server can push 100MB/s gigabit offer's 10x the speed to your users.

Now if you are only opening office documents that difference isn't much, but now-a-days designing or implementing a non-gigabit infrastructure is usually foolish.

You'll probably be looking at a Dell Powerconnect 2824 if you need a third switch.

I'd buy a PowerConnect 2848 (retail $549) and consolidate most of your switching onto it. Use one of your existing 2700's for the new ports, and keep the second one around as a cold spare. If/when the budget allows, upgrade to a second 2800 series.

I would disagree entirely. Assuming your file server can push 100MB/s gigabit offer's 10x the speed to your users.

Now if you are only opening office documents that difference isn't much, but now-a-days designing or implementing a non-gigabit infrastructure is usually foolish.

You'll probably be looking at a Dell Powerconnect 2824 if you need a third switch.

PowerConnect 2724 is GbE.

OK, I think I get it. No need for an expensive switch yet, but maybe buy a lower end 48 port, then use one of the 2724 for the printers, etc.

Thanks!

Back