Low cost, low power pfSense build

BurntToast

2[H]4U
I'm looking to build a pfSense box for my home.

I'm looking for a low power, low cost, low heat build. Something that I can replace my router with for 24/7 operation.

There are always the iTX options from places such as Acer or Zotac. Just looking for other options.

Thanks.

Don't forget that if you already have a fileserver, you can combine the fileserver and pfsense together with the magic of virtualization.

I am getting ready to build an pfsense box out of an HP thin client.

done that a few times, USB NIC's meant for mac's work great for WAN.

you could also build yourself a atom pfsense box with 3 gigabit nic's for about $260 shipped to your door.

Do basically any intel dual port nics work? What about cf card adapters? Either sata or pci.

I think I may actually just use an old Intel P4 box that I have laying around. It will use more power than an atom, but since would take a long time to make up the savings with purchasing an atom rig.

just about any intel nic will work, but check out this find on ebay.

That's something I've also done with thin clients, they work great and are silent.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I only bought 2 hp thin clients like 20 dollars an piece.
I just hooked up my kill-a-watt to my space box. At nearly 0.31 cents kwh I'm connived to use a thin client :)

Where did you find thin clients for that cheap and what are the specs?

For pfSense 2.x you only need one physical NIC- you can then VLAN everything, if you care to go that route and your NIC supports VLANs.

Back