low cost laptop (<$550)

CrazyMrB

Gawd
Hi,

I'm going to be starting back to skool in August/September and they have a wifi system around campus. Since I'm a music major I'll need to be around the main campus for easy access to practice rooms, but will need something to do my homework on (writing papers mainly) during practice breaks. I'm going to be a commuter, so much of my time will be wasted if I don't have the laptop due to my crazy schedule.

So here's the question: What laptop, manufacturer, or retailer would you guys reccommend? I don't do much gaming, but I do listen to a fair amount of music. I have a wireless network at home so I can listen to the good stuff on my speakers at home on my main rig. Also I'll be surfing a good deal, so I'll at least need 802.11b. I'd also like a cdrw/dvd for on the go cds. Another concern is that I'd like to be able to run Vista when it comes out (but that doesn't mean that I will run Vista). Is it possible to meet these demands under my max price of $550? Also, the lower the price, the better.

Thanks,
B

you won't find anything capable of running vista for 550, the rest is pretty standard stuff

Actually he will. He won't be able to run Aero Glass interface, but he'll be able to run Vista. Check out Compaq's v2000 line, starting at $499.

Ebay, used Ibm T22-23. Cheap, solid preformace, and spare parts are cheap. Mabey look at the dell outlet and grab a XPS M140, or 600. Both are pretty light and small.

Thanks for all the input, I'll check on the IBMs and dells, but in my experience with the Dell outlet, the interface is terrible. The search functions are very limited, and when I try to set a price (<500) everything dissappears even though I could have just seen a few computers for $450 before adding the modifier.

B

Are the Compaq's V2000 series really good (for the price)?
I was eyeing one that had a pretty decent specs.

The Presario V2630US offers: 14"-diagonal widescreen WXGA (1280 x 768) BrightView LCD screen
# Mobile AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34 with AMD PowerNow! technology operating at 1.8GHz
# 1MB L2 cache
# Up to 1600MHz frontside bus
# 512MB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2 x 256MB), upgradeable to 2GB
# 80GB 4200-rpm hard drive
# DVD±RW drive with Double Layer support, to burn and play DVDs and CDs
# 54g™ 802.11b/g wireless LAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster support
# 10/100Base-T Ethernet port
# 56K V.90 modem
# 3 USB 2.0 ports
# 1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port
# 1 S-video out port
# 6-in-1 memory card reader
# ATI Radeon Express 200M IGP graphics with 128MB of shared memory
# Altec Lansing audio
# Dimensions: 1 9/16"H x 13 3/16"W x 9 1/10"D
# Weight: 5.38 lb

now it's about 700 after rebates, but i have a gift card from the store that will bring it down quite a bit. I was first thinking of resurrecting an old vaio given to me, but i think after buying a new battery, charger, memory, hdd and wireless card, I'm about the cost of this one. And a newer/faster processor.

So, are the compaq's really any good?
Thanks
and sorry for the hijack

I love my v2000z, but I would wait a few days and get a v3000 (new v2000 model) with a Turion X2. Its both 64bit and Dual Core, so you'll be set for whatever the future holds in the next few years.

wow. Thanks for the tip.

Are they going to be affordable as well?
Like under $800-$1000?

Check the Forsale thread. There are many laptops in there that meet your requirements.

They have some T30's over on retrobox for like 380. I just picked up an X31 and couldnt be happier.

here

just get some more ram ( 50 bucks ) and you should be all set.

I have an M2000 that I love. It cost me 500 dollars used, and it has 512MB 80GB HD and a DVDRW. It will run anything I want it to.

Back