Low cost archiving solution for small business

axan

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for low cost archiving solution. I'm trying to find a solution that will allow my company to store our orders and some accounting data in read only archive. Basically I want something like Content-addressable storage but all the CAS products I find are way out of our price range.

Here's some info:

~100 users
~30GB of data
~$10k budget

Requirements:

WORM - has to be read only immutable archive
Disk based - content must be easy to access without digging through tapes or other mediums
Searchable - we mostly store pdfs, but the solution must have some kinda metadata or other way that will allow for easy searching

I've been doing some research but so far I can't find anything that meets our needs and fits in our budget. Any help would be appriciated

You can look into Sun's Honeycomb project for an example implementation. I've never used it, and I'm not sure if it fits into a $10k budget (if you're buying new machines) but it is open-sourced, so if you can do the grunt work it's free. Hypothetically.

Some names I know that are thrown out there are Caringo, Permabit, and Archivas. I'm not sure how much those implimentations are but the ones we use are a small fortune.

Have you perhaps thought about a dedicated file server with write/read restrictions? You don't seem to have much data or usage. Google has a good implimentation for searching piles of archived files. Google also offers search appliances which also offers you full content control and document management.

mage thanx for the info on honeycomb, looks interesting I'll have to spend some time on that.

Ockie: permabit and archivas are out of my price range, as far as setting up dedicated storage server with write restrictions that wouldn't work. The storage has to be worm type, with a way to proof that the file was never altered. I will take a look at google's offers though, maybe I can hack something together.

Back