Low-Cost Android Phones to Get iPhone Features with New Qualcomm Chips

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
“Bargain” Android devices are getting a big upgrade with Qualcomm’s newly announced Snapdragon 660 and 630 chips, which will sit under the company’s high-end 800 series of chips but be impressive in their own right. The new chips will allow benefits typically associated with more expensive phones and tablets, such as Quick Charge 4, high-resolution support (2560 x 1600 pixel screens), Bluetooth 5 and 802.11ac, and 4K video capture.

Low-cost smartphones like the Moto G5 introduced a few months ago are shipping with soon-to-be-outdated chips from Qualcomm, which has announced successor chips. Qualcomm on Monday introduced the Snapdragon 630 and 660, which are massive upgrades to chips used in low-cost smartphones introduced over the last six months or so. And in a few months, you'll be able to buy low-cost smartphones with these new chips, with prices starting at US$200. The handsets will feature LTE download speeds equivalent to that in the iPhone 7 and have graphics processors capable of capturing 4K video.

About time. I've been on Cricket for about 3 years now. Their low-cost android hardware has been lacking in performance and features.

"Fuck you apple, I am Qualcomm and I will dilute your 'experience' at all costs"?

“Bargain” Android devices are getting a big upgrade with Qualcomm’s newly announced Snapdragon 660 and 630 chips, which will sit under the company’s high-end 800 series of chips but be impressive in their own right. The new chips will allow benefits typically associated with more expensive phones and tablets, such as Quick Charge 4, high-resolution support (2560 x 1600 pixel screens), Bluetooth 5 and 802.11ac, and 4K video capture.

Low-cost smartphones like the Moto G5 introduced a few months ago are shipping with soon-to-be-outdated chips from Qualcomm, which has announced successor chips. Qualcomm on Monday introduced the Snapdragon 630 and 660, which are massive upgrades to chips used in low-cost smartphones introduced over the last six months or so. And in a few months, you'll be able to buy low-cost smartphones with these new chips, with prices starting at US$200. The handsets will feature LTE download speeds equivalent to that in the iPhone 7 and have graphics processors capable of capturing 4K video.

So the Bluetooth and 802.11ac are literally the only worthwhile features in this list. The rest is either battery sucking garbage or wouldn't be necessary if not for battery sucking garbage.

Shitty android phones get upgraded? Bet the OS support is still shit.

"such as Quick Charge 4, high-resolution support (2560 x 1600 pixel screens), Bluetooth 5 and 802.11ac, and 4K video capture"

Yet the title reads:

Low-Cost Android Phones to Get iPhone Features with New Qualcomm Chips

Which of these features does iPhone have? Maybe I missed something:

iPhone 7 Plus (not just the 7)

1080p - high-resolution support (2560 x 1600 pixel screens) Nope again
4K video capture (one point) - but cannot display them in 4K
Quick Charge 4? No quick charge at all
high-resolution support (2560 x 1600 pixel screens) Nope again
Bluetooth 4.2 - Does it have Bluetooth 5? Nope again and is limited in usage to mostly Apple "stuff" (not only)
Wireless 802.11ac - yes, for once no buts

Sorry for being a bit critical, but why does the title say these are iPhone features, when, well almost none are? Is this "slanted" journalism? It could be that some people might judge the writer to be promoting Apple while it is a Qualcomm (read "Android" mostly) news article.

You see, we do know that companies pay journalists to be "objective" but slanting a little to promote a certain company a bit more. Most, if not all, won't even realise this happening. If I had no ethics, I would do exactly this to promote my company. I would go to journalist and give them a little "incentive" to write articles is such a way that my company is mentioned in a positive way as many times as possible, even when the article has absolutely nothing to do with my company or products. This really happens in the real world. Even Samsung was caught doing this, so I am not singling out any company. So, because of this, unfortunately I will be looking at Megalith with quite a bit more suspicion. Sorry...

Yes yes, I know, this is just another conspiracy theory...

Please correct me, I might be wrong.

So the $300 Moto G5 is considered a "low-cost" phone? Holy smokes. I don't consider a phone "low-cost" until it's <$100. Maybe I'm just cheap.

So the $300 Moto G5 is considered a "low-cost" phone? Holy smokes. I don't consider a phone "low-cost" until it's <$100. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Yes $300 is low cost since a iPhone or S8 costs ~$700-800 USD. $100 phones are not running a current version or android either. The point being Qualcomm is committing to pushing features normally only found on flagship phones down market so new "low cost" phones aren't just prior years parts that will never see updates.

I bet Huwaii will be the first to use this chip.

Still Megalith has not responded. I suppose then it must be true... Very sad though, you do post some great posts.

Still Megalith has not responded. I suppose then it must be true... Very sad though, you do post some great posts.
Dude

Let it go. If you have a problem with his post, you can contact him directly. But I think you are being a little overly critical. Cut him some slack.

If this is your first time dealing with Megalith just keep bumping this till he comes back. You have to keep it on the main screen, otherwise he'll forget and won't address your questions.

Dude

Let it go. If you have a problem with his post, you can contact him directly. But I think you are being a little overly critical. Cut him some slack.

Bad advice. Correct Megalith and wait for his return.

Back