Low 3dmark with new 8800GT

rogerssa

Limp Gawd
I just upgraded a 8800GT by PNY.

I ran 3dmark06 and scored 5221. That seems very low to me.

System

AMD 3800+ X2
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI motherboard
2gig ram
Raptor 74gig HD
Coolmax 600wat PSU

Not sure whats going on or wrong. Any ideas where to start? I formated installed XP and drivers from scratch and still have same problem.

its your cpu, don't worry about 3d mark 06 benchmark,just play the games you want and you will see your real results with your 8800gt.

I score around 8200 with a core 2 duo [email protected](not overclocked)

3dmark 06 is very CPU dependent. Obviously your CPU is on the slowish side but still, you probably should be getting around 7K at least with your system. What are the actual breakdowns of your score?

Youve got something wrong, your CPU is not bottlenecking you. There is no way my e6700 at stock clocks is doubling my 3d06 score compared to yours...mine is close to 11k.

How is gaming performance? I tend to think 3dmark is crap for a performance benchmark, and basically crap for anything other than seeing if your PC is performing on par with others that are very similar, which i dont think it is.

Go by actual gaming numbers. You should be able to max out COD4, Gears of War, Bioshock all maxed out including AA if available, you should be able to run Crysis pretty high too. Not maxed with AA, but pretty high.

EDIT: Well after a little poking around, seems the C2D can anhilate the X2 in 3dmark. Either way, 3dmark sucks for performance comparisons, but your gaming should be fine. As i said, 3dmark06 should only be used to compared very similar systems. Otherwise its pretty worthless.

something is not right because i could get almost that score with my 4200+ @ 2.75 and 7800gt

overall 4683
sm 2 1866
sm 3 1833
cpu 2021

and with the 4200+ @ 2.64 8800gts
overall 8823
sm 2 4038
sm 3 4092
cpu 2020

so something is off

Run GPU-z and make sure you are operating at PCI-16x speeds

That first, then post what your score is made of:

SM 3.0/HDR
SM 2.0
CPU:

e.g. mine would be

SM 2.0 Score
(Marks)

SM 3.0 Score
(Marks)

CPU Score
(Marks)

my system seems sluggish. I can't figure out why. Games play OK, but stutter. Like UT3 and COD4.

Ran GPU-Z says PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ 16 so I think its running ok there.

here are results

SM 2.0 Score 2126 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 2355 Marks

CPU Score 1509 Marks

Guys, I have practically the exact same setup, X2 3800+, 2GB ram, 8800GT and I score 10031.

That he's having a score that's half that much means something is wrong with his system. I did once get a score of around 4000 but I realized that my CPU was running at 1.09 GHz due to cool & quiet being bugged up after I came out of suspend. I rebooted and the CPU was back up to full speed and I got 10K. Then again, my CPU is running 2.6GHz versus the stock 2.0GHz of the X2 3800+.

my cpu has water cooling I should be able to bump up the speed. but I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong at stock levels. Tomorrow I plan on takeing the PC to work with me putting a new HD in it and building the system up from scratch. See if its a driver issue or something.

I'm wondering if I have a problem with the CPU. I have a 4000 at work I may try and see if it changes anything.

BTW CPU sits around 20 degrees C with the water cooling.

my cpu has water cooling I should be able to bump up the speed. but I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong at stock levels. Tomorrow I plan on takeing the PC to work with me putting a new HD in it and building the system up from scratch. See if its a driver issue or something.

I'm wondering if I have a problem with the CPU. I have a 4000 at work I may try and see if it changes anything.

BTW CPU sits around 20 degrees C with the water cooling.

once i ran my 7800 with out the pcie power conected and it ran real slow. check that

My PCI power is connected. I had a Antec 460watt power supply in it and it errord on each boot saying it didn't have enough power. I then went to a 600 Coolmax and it no longer has the power problem. I'm sure its something else.

I get about that same score with a 8600GTS OC, AMD x2 3800+ and WD 5000AAKS HDD

Something is not right with your computer, do you have an anti virus program and firewall? Do you or have you in the past gone to high risk web sites such as warez and other related sites that are known to have trojans and whatnot hidden in them?

It sounds like you might have a virus or a bug thats slowing you down, or just a huge ammount of spyware/adware. If you can, put in a new hard drive with a fresh format, install your OS, install your new drivers, and install your games and install 3dmark 06 and run the test/play the games again.

If this fixes your problem then I can almost gurantee your old hard drive has something nasty in it and needs to be formatted.

Your CPU is fine, I just ran 3Dmark06 again with my overclocked 3800+ and my CPU score was 1988. If you are getting 1509 for you CPU, that sounds about right for a stock 3800+ The real problem is your videocard. My scores were:

SM 2.0 Score 3972 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 4436 Marks

CPU Score 1988 Marks

That shows me that your Shader 2.0 and Shader 3.0 is only half a fast with a 8800GT. Bad drivers? Are you forcing AA + AF?

Use and follow the instructions for driver cleaner pro (you can download it at guru3d.com). When I did this and reinstalled the new drivers once again I got 400 more points in 3dmark. I reformated my pc like a couple months ago and only had one other driver installed before the latest ati drivers. So I'm guessing that your improvement will be much more than mine. Just try it before reformating so you can save some time.

To the original OP, Im having the EXACT same problem as you. I have AMD x2 5000+, and I just switched from an8800gts320 to the 8800 gt, Before I was getting around 9500 on 3dmark06, after the install of the new card I am now getting around 6000. My guess its our MB, I also have a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI -S4. ...Did you update to the newest bios, If not try it, as it didnt help with my score but my FPS did improve on most games, However once I did update to the new Bios now my MB isnt seeing my memory in slots 2 adn 4..Strange mmm. Anyways good luck and post back if you find a fix..

Here are my scores
SM 2.0= 2562
SM 3.0= 2634
CPU= 2162
Overall score was 6304

maybe 2.0 isn't fully backwards compatible with your motherboard's pcie slots? :confused:

Highly, highly, highly unlikely.

The GPU score shouldn't be that low...

How many amps on the 12V is the Coolmax? Model?
Is PCI-E bandwidth at 16x?

I doubt it's the powersupply. If it was the PSU, the system would simply crash and reboot...not slow down. I'm running my 8800GT on a 250w PSU with only 16 amps on the 12V !!! I'm still getting full speed and a proper ~10,000 3DMarks score with basically the same CPU, ram, and videocard setup as the OP. It could be his PCI-E bandwidth or other configuration.

I doubt it's the powersupply. If it was the PSU, the system would simply crash and reboot...not slow down. I'm running my 8800GT on a 250w PSU with only 16 amps on the 12V !!! I'm still getting full speed and a proper ~10,000 3DMarks score with basically the same CPU, ram, and videocard setup as the OP. It could be his PCI-E bandwidth or other configuration.

Even if you have a Shuttle, I still would not run it with it. Probably reaching and going past it's "real" rated wattage...

A Coolmax is not a Shuttle by a long shot :)

I have the corsair 620 hx and Im having his EXACT problem. I really think its our MB,

12v1 - 14amps
12v2 - 24amps
12v3 - 1f amps
Coolmax Model CXI-600B

In process right now of reinstalling Windows from scratch then I'll make sure BIOS is up to date.

Shane

too bad u dont have another motherboard laying around. Did you check chipset drivers. I had a similar problem and I updated my chipset drivers and it found some random cryptic chipset device and my 3dmark scroes doubled to where they shoulda been. Also check to see if cool and quiet is on, and check another benchmarking program.

Like I said, I really think its the GA-M57sli-S4 motherboard, Or we got a batch of bad cards.

That's too low. With my Q6600 @ 2.9GHz and my 8800GT @ 690/975 (no shader OC) I managed over 14K in 3DM06.

Its the Motherboard.

I just ran the test on another motherboard and its scored 8064.

Now what to try?

Its the Motherboard.

I just ran the test on another motherboard and its scored 8064.

Now what to try?

RMA'ing the motherboard? Send in for refund? What are your options as it seems you should get a diff brand/model motherboard that still supports all of yoru other parts.

For Giggles I re-flashed the BIOS. Guess what? Now I scored 8142 in 3dmark06.

Call of Duty 4 is running over 60fps at 1280x1024. Its like a whole new system.

COD4 was running around 20 - 30fps. So it must have been a problem.

I'm still going to buy a new Processor and MB combo. Just have to decide what to get.

Shane

I doubt you guys are having psu problems. If you did you would be getting even lower scores - somewhere around 1100 or so. Interestingly, if you run Vista you might not get the warning dialog if your card isn't getting enough power. Here's my experience with a new/incompatible psu (Corsair hx520) and a 8800GT with Vista: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1243932

Well I hope to be much better soon.

I just ordered a new Intel Dual Core, Asus MB, new waterblock. So we'll see how she performs in a week or so.

Back