Love Your Super Socket 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckus

[H]ard|Gawd
Are you a member of the Super Socket 7 club? Say it loud and proud!

I wanted to support AMD so bad when the k6 was out... I bought a k6 300... and I tried a bunch of motherboards... I remember via being the worst and sis was the slowest... I settled on the ali aladdin chipset... but I still couldn't get stable in win9x only windowsNT...

Then I traded the CPU in for a k62 300 because the place I bought it from gave me a free exchange... and I needed windows 98 to use 3dnow! ack! and it still wasn't stable!

I overclocked it to 350... but even then it couldn't keep up with a 300mhz p2 in anything FPU intensive. well... only quake2 because of 3dnow! I remember at the time wishing they had 3dnow! for 3dstudioMAX... hehe

Well I realized that if I sold the CPU and motherboard and some other things I had around I would have enough maybe for a 440bx board and a celeron 300a... the rest is history really...

i have a socket 7 chip, yes. AMD K62-350 OC to 512MHz.

I plan on putting it in a refridgerator and testing it

fuck vapochill...

triple cascade custom phase change or ln2... hehe

actually the K6-3+ was a pretty sweet chip. That was the one with the on die cache

Selecter said:
actually the K6-3+ was a pretty sweet chip. That was the one with the on die cache

I used to play with a couple of these. They would run @ 600MHz on 2.0v!

These chips were very decent for integer work.

I started out building computers with a socket 7 based system. Jumpers baby! I sure don't miss those damn things. I don't remember many things fondly about that socket, but slot 1 was pretty sweet, I remember going from a k62 450 to a celeron 333 on a BX chipset motherboard and it was AMAZING! Wheres the slot 1 love?

Boy is this nostalgic. I actually still have a SS7 system with a K6-2 450 @ 600, 256MB of PC66 sdram, a Voodoo5 5500, MX300 audio, 6.4GB hdd and a 4x CDRW that only works at 2x. I used to actually use it from time to time to play old DOS games but now its just sitting in the closet. It was my first bang around lan party box so I have a hard time letting it go.

I love my P133MMX.
Along with it's 14 inch 1994 vintage VGA monitor.
I still use it as a test rig for some of my projects it want to interface with a computer, and I like the ISA slots because a little hobby shop around here carries some truely anchient hardware, 8 bit ISA text only video card with about 1k of onboard ram - about $1.50, single parrallel port ISA card, $1.00, that kind of thing.
So I don't care if kill the card doing something stupid. (or the entire computer for that matter)

I had a K6-2 400 that I ran at 500! 25% Overclock, baby! Hard to get that kind of percentage overclock anymore, at least on air. I replaced it with a P3 450 and that was faster, though. Original Golden Orb (GORB) on that K62. Lessee...I guess it died or something, can't remember what happened to it now, but it's been gone for awhile now.

Buckus said:
I had a K6-2 400 that I ran at 500! 25% Overclock, baby! Hard to get that kind of percentage overclock anymore, at least on air. I replaced it with a P3 450 and that was faster, though. Original Golden Orb (GORB) on that K62. Lessee...I guess it died or something, can't remember what happened to it now, but it's been gone for awhile now.

Does a 3000+ Venice @ 1.8GHz overclocked to 2.7GHz count? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back