Love Letter to PC gamers from Claptrap

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! A PC game with REAL fucking PC UI *features* holy shit! You couldn't do this from day 1 for the original... and you've been in the business how long now Pitchford?!

Geez, some of you guys are brutal.

They're basically saying, "Hey, we're sorry. We realize now that we f'd up with BL1 on the PC, but we are paying attention and we put these features in BL2."

Settle the fuck down!

They're basically saying, "Hey, we're sorry. We realize now that we f'd up with BL1 on the PC, but we are paying attention and we put these features in BL2."

Settle the fuck down!

Excuse me for not pre-emptively awarding them "game of the year" for doing something that should be and previously always had been a fucking given. Sorry, but they just lose a fuck-ton of credibility when it's so blatantly obvious that they just couldn't be bothered to include basic PC functionality the first time around... apparently because it was just too easy to slip it out the door and make a quick buck without doing anything more than a quick and dirty console port. Thanks for coming to your senses Gearbox, but you're not making me "love you long time" until I see a more consistent comittment to the PC version of your games.

Settle the fuck down!

A real apology would have been fixing Borderlands 1.

I didn't even barely notice any of those issues when I was playing. They were basically non-issues only notable because they were the only thing to complain about with the game.

Just started replaying Borderlands and forgot how much fun it was. Definitely looking forward to number 2.

How could anyone turn this into a negative thing? Because they're adding "features" and claiming they've listened to things that have been standard for FPS's for the past decade. To be a great game, they need to go above and beyond just plain expectations for any FPS.

Again, these are NOT the ONLY NEW FEATURES of BL2.

Sometimes you can never please gamers it seems, such a funny hobby filled with hate filled consumers.

Normally FOV doesn't bother me too much, but even though I really enjoyed the gameplay of Borderlands, I couldn't play it for very long as the FOV made me sick. After battling with it for a couple hours I gave up as it was making me nauseated.

I just hope it supports eye finity. I like borderlands 1 just fine today except the menu's get all wonky in eyefinity. If they just fixed that, and make it equiv to bl1, I'm happy.

So once again. eyefinity support.

I cant complain.

If they follow through on this, I will marry and fuck this game for the rest of my life. And the publisher can join in on threesomes any time they want. For everyone whos shitting on this, screw you. Most games dont give a shit anymore. I'll take this as a present and be happy, because if they didnt offer it, there wouldnt be a surpise either. So fuck it. Its a present, and Ima love this one long time.

Those of you bitching that these are "features they should have anyway" - guess what, they didnt before. They dont have to now. And shitting about it is going to do nothing more than make them not want to make any effort in the future. Be appeciateve or fuck off.

I cant complain.

If they follow through on this, I will marry and fuck this game for the rest of my life. And the publisher can join in on threesomes any time they want. For everyone whos shitting on this, screw you. Most games dont give a shit anymore. I'll take this as a present and be happy, because if they didnt offer it, there wouldnt be a surpise either. So fuck it. Its a present, and Ima love this one long time.

Those of you bitching that these are "features they should have anyway" - guess what, they didnt before. They dont have to now. And shitting about it is going to do nothing more than make them not want to make any effort in the future. Be appeciateve or fuck off.

First off, I don't even want to imagine how in the hell you're going to "marry" and "fuck" this game... that's a bit disturbing. But beyond that, your "logic" is all kinds of fucked.

Never heard the phrase "the customer is always right" I take it? You're "right" when you say they don't "have to" do the bare minimum for their paying PC customers, but that doesn't mean we have to support their less than enthusiastic PC offerings with our hard earned cash then either. You act as if they're doing some great act of service to all PC gaming humanity just by simply making anything that runs on the x86 platform period. Guess what, they can "fuck off" if they think we're going to gobble up any POS console port that gets squeezed out of their collective turd cutter.

The thing that truly boggles my mind is your assertion that by voting with our wallets and being a discerning, non-lemming PC customer, we're in some way "not making them want to put forth any effort in the future." REALLY?! I'm pretty sure they need us WAAAAAY more than we need them. If they weren't pretty damn sure they'd make a nice fat profit by making a PC version, I'm equally damn sure they wouldn't do so in the first place. What was that saying about giving the customer what they want again??

I'm with the people saying "calm the fuck down".

They release a good game which is lacking standard PC features, people rightfully complain. They then release an amusing announcement saying they're fixing those problems in the sequel and spending more time getting the PC version up to scratch and people STILL fucking complain. The industry as a whole is moving away from taking care with the PC version and so they release a humorous statement pointing out they're going the extra mile with this one.

You complain when shit is actually bad, if you just complain the whole fucking time how are developers supposed to take comments to heart? No wonder so many devs/pubs just ignore gaming communities.

Personally I'm glad they're including a FOV slider, its something I think all games should have and its certainly never been a standard feature in games at any point (at BEST we can fuck around with config files or download community made patches and at worst we just have to live with it).

I appreciate...
1. The fact they are doing these things.
2. The fact they are listening to the community and actually communicating as well.
What was that saying about giving the customer what they want again??
Isn't that what they're doing? Why are you still complaining?

Well they haven't actually done anything yet except release a cute marketing memo. If they actually deliver a quality PC gaming experience this time around, I'll totally support it. Call me cynical if you'd like, but I plunked down good money for what I thought was going to be a fully realized PC game that ended up being a console port the first time around. The problem is, you can't expect people to forget how you put out a less-than-fully-realized PC product with your first entry in the series, just because you get cute with your marketing-speak now.

I'm with the people saying "calm the fuck down".

They release a good game which is lacking standard PC features, people rightfully complain. They then release an amusing announcement saying they're fixing those problems in the sequel and spending more time getting the PC version up to scratch and people STILL fucking complain. The industry as a whole is moving away from taking care with the PC version and so they release a humorous statement pointing out they're going the extra mile with this one.

You complain when shit is actually bad, if you just complain the whole fucking time how are developers supposed to take comments to heart? No wonder so many devs/pubs just ignore gaming communities.

Personally I'm glad they're including a FOV slider, its something I think all games should have and its certainly never been a standard feature in games at any point (at BEST we can fuck around with config files or download community made patches and at worst we just have to live with it).

I appreciate...
1. The fact they are doing these things.
2. The fact they are listening to the community and actually communicating as well.

Agree entirely. This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion by a few chronic haters.

What's funny is that it's more likely PC developers will stop developing specifically for PC based on some of the comments here rather than anything. If it appears that PC gamers will never be satisfied, why bother?

Well they haven't actually done anything yet except release a cute marketing memo. If they actually deliver a quality PC gaming experience this time around, I'll totally support it. Call me cynical if you'd like, but I plunked down good money for what I thought was going to be a fully realized PC game that ended up being a console port the first time around. The problem is, you can't expect people to forget how you put out a less-than-fully-realized PC product with your first entry in the series, just because you get cute with your marketing-speak now.

So your argument is that you don't actually believe they are going to add these things? Excuse the language but, seriously man, what the fuck?

The industry as a whole is moving away from taking care with the PC version and so they release a humorous statement pointing out they're going the extra mile with this one.

I often find it funny that the games industry is moving away from PC-centric gaming, when the games themselves are DEVELOPED on PC's. Now, if game developers were using XBox 360's and PS3's with keyboards to make their games, then sure, fair enough. However. if you are spending anything from 3 to 5 years in front of a computer, and fail to develop your game for the very platform you've been using to code the bloody thing, for said 3 to 5 years, is beyond me. It's not like they have to go out and buy a separate computer to test on. :rolleyes:

I blame the stupid teenage X-boxheads and PSpastic console gamers for dumbing down our genre. :mad: Case in point:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=70831425

"Console gamers literally are too dumb to play this kind of game."
"I won't say which publisher, but, yes, literally, 'console gamers are not as smart as PC gamers.' The logic is that, well PC gamers can install drivers and video cards. Console gamers are just 15-year-olds who sit in front of their couch and press a button."

Last edited:
I often find it funny that the games industry is moving away from PC-centric gaming, when the games themselves are DEVELOPED on PC's. Now, if game developers were using XBox 360's and PS3's with keyboards to make their games, then sure, fair enough. However. if you are spending anything from 3 to 5 years in front of a computer, and fail to develop your game for the very platform you've been using to code the blood thing, for said 3 to 5 years, is beyond me. It's not like they have to go out and buy a separate computer to test on. :rolleyes:
This reminds me of the excuse High Moon Studios used when they announced the new Transformers: Fall of Cybertron game will not have a PC version. "The PC platform is not our area of expertise". Then they had the nerve to show pics of them developing the the dang thing on a dual monitor set up.

Agree entirely. This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion by a few chronic haters.

What's funny is that it's more likely PC developers will stop developing specifically for PC based on some of the comments here rather than anything. If it appears that PC gamers will never be satisfied, why bother?

So your argument is that you don't actually believe they are going to add these things? Excuse the language but, seriously man, what the fuck?

Why should they care? Because they can make a shit-ton of money by providing a paying customer with what they desire. The only reason they would stop making PC games is if there was no money in it. There obviously is, or they obviously wouldn't. If they deliver a polished PC experience time-after-time, I don't know of many more communities that are as truly passionate and devoted as ours, and willing to support quality games with hard earned cash over and over again.

As for whether or not they'll deliver on their promises... I don't know what's so hard to understand and appreciate about taking a "wait and see" approach to the whole thing. Can we not agree that even if they include all the basic PC features they've promised, that some of them still might be broken? Or maybe even despite having those fundamentals nailed down, the rest of the game just sucks for one reason or another?! I don't see why that's such a hard thing to comprehend, especially after there have been sooooo many examples over the years to prove that kind of scenario happens more often than not.

I often find it funny that the games industry is moving away from PC-centric gaming, when the games themselves are DEVELOPED on PC's. Now, if game developers were using XBox 360's and PS3's with keyboards to make their games, then sure, fair enough. However. if you are spending anything from 3 to 5 years in front of a computer, and fail to develop your game for the very platform you've been using to code the blood thing, for said 3 to 5 years, is beyond me. It's not like they have to go out and buy a separate computer to test on. :rolleyes:

I blame the stupid teenage X-boxheads and PSpastic console gamers for dumbing down our genre. :mad: Case in point:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=70831425

I blame money. I don't think the developers are stupid enough to not realise the flaws in their PC ports, but things cost money and they repeatedly decide that there's less people who care to the point of not buying it when they otherwise would have (resulting in a loss of money) compared to the cost of fixing it.

Coding on PC is really not all that relevant, they're not coding FOR PC. I write code for an external controller for a stepper motor, the language is a bit weird and really not like any other language I know. So even though I'm writing it ON a PC it has very little to do with the PC other than the PC being the "middle man" between me and the controller. If I wanted to adapt the code in order to process the data on the PC, I have to rewrite it from scratch because the language is different enough from any of the data processing languages that the fact I wrote it on a PC doesn't help me all that much.

I blame money. I don't think the developers are stupid enough to not realise the flaws in their PC ports, but things cost money and they repeatedly decide that there's less people who care to the point of not buying it when they otherwise would have (resulting in a loss of money) compared to the cost of fixing it.

Absolutely. Which is why it's just downright insulting for them to send a little "love letter" to the PC audience and expect us to completely forget that they knew full well what they pulled the first time around.

Why should they care? Because they can make a shit-ton of money by providing a paying customer with what they desire. The only reason they would stop making PC games is if there was no money in it. There obviously is, or they obviously wouldn't. If they deliver a polished PC experience time-after-time, I don't know of many more communities that are as truly passionate and devoted as ours, and willing to support quality games with hard earned cash over and over again.

As for whether or not they'll deliver on their promises... I don't know what's so hard to understand and appreciate about taking a "wait and see" approach to the whole thing. Can we not agree that even if they include all the basic PC features they've promised, that some of them still might be broken? Or maybe even despite having those fundamentals nailed down, the rest of the game just sucks for one reason or another?! I don't see why that's such a hard thing to comprehend, especially after there have been sooooo many examples over the years to prove that kind of scenario happens more often than not.

But you're not taking a "wait and see" approach, you are vilifying this game already for things it hasn't even done yet.

So you think this announcement is stupid because "all PC games should have this", okay, I can see that viewpoint. But what I'm not getting is the, "Well, okay so they will add these things, but..but..the game could still be broken! It could still suck!"

Well, yeah, it could. What does that have to do with any of this at all? We know very little about the game so far, there's no grounds to believe it will be broken.

Your argument has devolved from relating to these features alone to just flat-out dissing on a not-yet-existent game.

Absolutely. Which is why it's just downright insulting for them to send a little "love letter" to the PC audience and expect us to completely forget that they knew full well what they pulled the first time around.

Again, further proving my point. You are acting as if Gearbox is out to get you and has a personal vendetta against PC gamers. They don't. A lot of people really enjoyed Borderlands, PC version included.

"No port forwarding required"

Thank. Fucking. God. It was pathetic to get an online game in Borderlands 1.

How could anyone turn this into a negative thing? Because they're adding "features" and claiming they've listened to things that have been standard for FPS's for the past decade. To be a great game, they need to go above and beyond just plain expectations for any FPS.

Some of you will bitch and whine at ANYTHING. There is no pleasing you. If they made a letter about how they will revolutionize shooters, you'd say "Psh, this should have been done 5 years ago".

:rolleyes:

I think you've just been too burnt and aren't seeing things clearly. I don't see it as insulting, its just a communication to the community that they acknowledge problems in PC ports and are trying to fix them. Its really not insulting nor is it trying to make us forget. Trying to make us forget would be ignoring the issue completely, rather they've stepped up and addressed it head on.

This thread has be depressed about the PC gaming community, though I can't say the attitude surprises me. What's funny is how non-standard many of these features have become, which friggen sucks, but when a company says, "okay we'll use the standard you guys expect" they get shit on? Really? I'm not expecting celebrations here but this level of cynicism is annoying.

Some of you will bitch and whine at ANYTHING. There is no pleasing you. If they made a letter about how they will revolutionize shooters, you'd say "Psh, this should have been done 5 years ago".

:rolleyes:

This thread has be depressed about the PC gaming community, though I can't say the attitude surprises me. What's funny is how non-standard many of these features have become, which friggen sucks, but when a company says, "okay we'll use the standard you guys expect" they get shit on? Really? I'm not expecting celebrations here but this level of cynicism is annoying.

Whats annoying is seeing crap like "love letters" telling gamers they are going to implement things which have been around for over a decade, when they should have been implemented in the first game.

Er, ok, well - what, are you going to cry about it all day long? We can't change the fact that us PC gamers have largely been left out in the cold. My suggestion is that you quit whining, get over it and be glad that they're at least making an effort now. I mean honestly, it makes no sense to be all pissy over this. Sure developers could have tried harder in the past, but the fact is they didn't. Boo-hoo, there is no "could have", what's done is done. They're trying now, and that's what matters.

Angry [H] gamer handbook:

-Get pissed that a certain title is only on consoles
-Demand that title be ported over to PC
-Once they do that, bitch and complain that there are no PC-centered features in said ported title, demand such features
-Once they do that, bitch and complain that they should have done it long ago
-Show them who's boss by not buying into an insulting gesture such as them including PC features
-Get pissed that you find out that their next game is only for console because you guys sure "showed them who's boss" by not buying the previous game and thus causing poor sales
-Start the cycle again

Last edited:
Whats annoying is seeing crap like "love letters" telling gamers they are going to implement things which have been around for over a decade, when they should have been implemented in the first game.

But they weren't and they aren't. People bitch about consolitis, fine, but they keep bitching even when a company says they're fixing the consolitis for the next game? They could have just ignored it and not implemented those features at all, they're choosing to implement them (yay). They could have chosen not to communicate with gamers, they chose to communicate with gamers and let them know what's going on (yay).

The PC gaming community is acting like a spoiled whinging little child. Screaming out "GIMME GIMME GIMME!" and when someone gives it to them they just turn their back replying "YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN IT TO ME YESTERDAY!!".

I personally see the lack of these "standard" PC features as being a cost/benefit thing, they feel its gonna cost them more time/money than they'll build a rapport with gamers and gain sales by including them. I don't agree with it, but that's the only logical reason I can see for consolised features in games. If the gamers who appreciate these features (enthusiasts) act like nothing is going to please them regardless there's even less reason to implement them and just ignore that subset of customers who are the sort of people who are unlikely to buy your game for full price anyway.

I personally see the lack of these "standard" PC features as being a cost/benefit thing, they feel its gonna cost them more time/money than they'll build a rapport with gamers and gain sales by including them. I don't agree with it, but that's the only logical reason I can see for consolised features in games. If the gamers who appreciate these features (enthusiasts) act like nothing is going to please them regardless there's even less reason to implement them and just ignore that subset of customers who are the sort of people who are unlikely to buy your game for full price anyway.

If standard PC features are not worth it to implement like in Borderlands 1 then your game is not worth my money.

A loveletter about basic PC features? Fine whatever. Too bad the game will still have console limited map design.

If standard PC features are not worth it to implement like in Borderlands 1 then your game is not worth my money.

Exactly my point, publishers surely know that lacking these features (which these days are becoming less and less standard) are costing them something. The question THEY would be asking is whether YOUR money is worth them implementing the features. If the attitude of the people who care about such features is cynical and "fine whatever", it wouldn't be encouraging publishers that its actually worth investing the time/money to include them.

Exactly my point, publishers surely know that lacking these features (which these days are becoming less and less standard) are costing them something. The question THEY would be asking is whether YOUR money is worth them implementing the features. If the attitude of the people who care about such features is cynical and "fine whatever", it wouldn't be encouraging publishers that its actually worth investing the time/money to include them.

Why do PC gamers continually complain regardless of anything else?

The only way game publishers/developers are going to change is if enough people cry foul. If you want to sit there and take whatever crap is shoveled in front of you that's your prerogative. There are many out there that are tired of being fed crap and being told we should enjoy it because its better then no crap.

Look at Mass Effect 3, enough "continually complaining gamers" complained about the crap ending and they took notice and I am willing to bet are going to try and not make that mistake again. Now if gamers all just said "great game! ending was something of a let down though" you really think they would think twice?

The only way game publishers/developers are going to change is if enough people cry foul. If you want to sit there and take whatever crap is shoveled in front of you that's your prerogative. There are many out there that are tired of being fed crap and being told we should enjoy it because its better then no crap.

Yeah fine, complain when things go to shit, but they're currently telling us they're doing all these PC-centric things and people are still cynical and complaining.

Complaining when you're getting shoveled shit, fine, complaining regardless of what you're getting shoveled doesn't help any cause along. People complained with Borderlands 1 had a low FOV and consolised shit... now what you do is when things go the correct way you get encouraged when they actually say they're going to change things. Otherwise the community just looks like a bunch of impossible to please whinging bitches. Complaining is fine, but if publishers think that making the changes isn't actually going to give them rapport with customers and lead to better sales they aren't going to bother.

Yeah fine, complain when things go to shit, but they're currently telling us they're doing all these PC-centric things and people are still cynical and complaining.

Complaining when you're getting shoveled shit, fine, complaining regardless of what you're getting shoveled doesn't help any cause along. People complained with Borderlands 1 had a low FOV and consolised shit... now what you do is when things go the correct way you get encouraged when they actually say they're going to change things. Otherwise the community just looks like a bunch of impossible to please whinging bitches. Complaining is fine, but if publishers think that making the changes isn't actually going to give them rapport with customers and lead to better sales they aren't going to bother.

If they want me to pay $50-60 for a game that shit better be in there.

They had rapport before BL1. They squandered it with BL1. Maybe they can earn some back with BL2. We won't know until it actually comes out.

I've never actually met Pitchford, but when I went out and pre-ordered BL1 based on previous positive PC gaming experiences provided by him/his company, and then sat down to actually try and play it... metaphorically speaking, it was as if I had walked up to meet the man for the first time, one hand open and ready to shake hands, the other with a fistful of cash ready to plunk down on his latest game, and as I went in for the shake he swiftly snatched my money and bitch slapped me across the face, simply because I wanted to play his latest creation on the PC.

So now (again, metaphorically speaking), I'm supposed to be "excited" that this time around he's promised not to bitch slap me?

Do you honestly think they would have written this "love letter" to the PC audience if we hadn't called them out on it with BL1? Sitting back and mindlessly praising anything any company in any industry dishes out to you will only guarantee a lower quality product/service over time.

Oh, and please, if you can't get past the hyperbole, just smack yourself in the face for me... metaphorically speaking of course.

Back