Love Letter to PC gamers from Claptrap

We'll see on release day. It's a sad state of affairs when "Menu now supports basic mouse interaction" is a "feature".

We'll see on release day. It's a sad state of affairs when "Menu now supports basic mouse interaction" is a "feature".

Yeah, most of the "new" features have been standard in most games for the last several years.

Yeah, most of the "new" features have been standard in most games for the last several years.
I'm not gonna complain assuming they actually address these because it shows they have actually been listening to the complaints about the first game, which is much more than can be said for many developers.

So depressing that a developer has to go out of their way to reassure us that they are going to include basic features that everyone expects to be included in the first place and which have been synonymous with PC gaming for almost 2 decades.

No mention of a Difficulty setting :( Borderlands 1 was great, it was just too easy, and one difficulty setting for all players is just silly :p

Gearbox said the PC version of the original Borderlands would be a great PC game. It wasn't. It was a straight fucking port. Pitchford can stick his hyperbole.

For all its fault I really enjoyed Borderlands. It took whats becoming a very middling FPS genre and gave it everything it was missing a cool story in completely unique environment reminded me of the scifi movies I love. All the characters were amusing as fuck and 4 player co-op was a blast. Yeah ending was lame lame but I got more of it than any of these "MOVE MOVE MOVE GO GO GO TACO DOWN ON YOUR 5 or 6" what the fuck ever games.

complaints that need to be fixed

Port forwarding
matchmaking
Voice
FOV
DRM(was so gamespy type crap on top of steam that would kill your session randomly)

If they could fix that Id be perfectly fine with it. More interested in colonial space marines though

i enjoyed borderlands but they played it up like it was going to be some awesome game made for elite pc gamers and that just not true.

This is a very positive sign that they heard the feedback from the first one.

The first one had its flaws and wasn't geared well toward PC, but I had a lot of fun with it playing with friends!

As was stated, most of those "features" should be pretty standard practice for the PC platform, but I am also reassured.

At least they are outright saying "Look, we actually give a damn!", which is more than I can say for most Devs these days.

I also found it kinda funny :p

Coming in Sept in Borderlands 2 , mouse control! Making new use of that fancy "GUI" you've recently upgraded to.

Mouse Functions as "features" lol. Don't they understand we get the lingo now? Borderlands 2 = port. As expected.

Mouse Functions as "features" lol. Don't they understand we get the lingo now? Borderlands 2 = port. As expected.
They're not saying it's not a port. What they are saying is that they're going to make the PC version actually for the PC, hence why you see the rudimentary offerings they listed in the link.

What you don't get is that half of these features are left out of ported games.

+1, a while back they did a question thing asking people what they wanted to see being added to the game. 30 pages(there was way more but i quit reading) not a single person talked about the mouse smoothing/acceleration garbage which pissed me off to no end with the first game. so i posted something about it on there.. not sure if me saying anything made them add the option but thank fucking god they added it!!!!

I dunno, I think maybe there's a hint of self-deprecating humour there and a little bit of a piss-take. Seems in keeping with the sort of jokes they tend to make.

So depressing that a developer has to go out of their way to reassure us that they are going to include basic features that everyone expects to be included in the first place and which have been synonymous with PC gaming for almost 2 decades.

Indeed. The industry is trying really hard to lose my business these days.

Most of those "options" are closer to requirements on the PC. Not having them makes a title, a wait til a hack is out that I am willing to bother with b4 I buy, sort of thing. I will be waiting for the GOTY on this one anyway. I can't stand buying a game and then three or four expansion packs, for $100-$120 or even more.

Last edited:
I was annoyed with the little problems BL had, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the $#!& out of it. I played through the game several times with different groups of friends, and it was a blast. Even before the reassurances they wouldn't screw up the port this time (and people forget this game is in reality just a console port), I already planned to pre-order.

Borderlands had pretty much every option I needed through ini tweaks, which I don't mind doing, especially when it's standard UE3 command syntax.

I'm fine with it either way.

We've reached an age where developers are promising via 'love letter' that they will include basic functions that every PC game should have. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the first game can be played over LAN offline :confused:

Either that or the last few times I played it with my buddies were in my imagination :D

ah, didn't know that, played the first one on 360 so never looked into it for the PC :)

*shrug* At least they are acknowledging the problems from the last game and assuring us that they will be fixed, albeit in a humorous and almost silly way.

All this "wtf, announcing features that should be in all PC games" talk...you guys will complain about anything. :p :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is, in these console port-ridden times, we should take what we can get when a developer seems genuinely interested in PC-centric development. Clearly what PC games "should automatically have" these days is not a given anymore.

And I loved Borderlands. The FOV was kind of lame but other than that I never had any major issues with the game design one way or another.

All this "wtf, announcing features that should be in all PC games" talk...you guys will complain about anything. :p :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm just being like, super negative, right? I mean, how dare I expect actual new, exciting features that would make me want the game. I should just be happy that they're giving me my basic functionality back and cough up my $60, right? :rolleyes:

I'm not going to settle for just "take what I can get" unless developers want to give it to me for free. Want my money? Better have more features to advertise than "You can click on stuff". That's all I'm saying. Borderlands 2 could be great, better than the first, but this "letter" from claptrap does absolutely nothing to make me more interested in it.

They've already announced other new features for the game itself, this was purely meant to appeal to PC-only gamers. It isn't like BL2 is just BL, but with mouse smoothing...

I'm not saying we should have to settle but they are giving us more than we got in the first Borderlands, and a lot of people really liked that game. Complaining about improvement just seems ridiculous to me.

I agree that it is silly including stuff like "mouse smoothing options" as some sort of exciting feature, but again, it's all relative.

PC gamers being negative about everything is likely part of what drives developers away from PC.

Yeah, I'm just being like, super negative, right? I mean, how dare I expect actual new, exciting features that would make me want the game. I should just be happy that they're giving me my basic functionality back and cough up my $60, right? :rolleyes:

I'm not going to settle for just "take what I can get" unless developers want to give it to me for free. Want my money? Better have more features to advertise than "You can click on stuff". That's all I'm saying. Borderlands 2 could be great, better than the first, but this "letter" from claptrap does absolutely nothing to make me more interested in it.

I agree that these things should be standard and no, you shouldn't get excited about standard features being included, but I don't think being all pissy about it is appropriate either. Maybe a nod of approval? An "okay you fucked up the first time but I'm glad you realized that and are putting effort into making this one better"?

An "okay you fucked up the first time but I'm glad you realized that and are putting effort into making this one better"?

Exactly, that's what this announcement is, no more and no less. I honestly don't think they're trying to "hype up" mouse smoothing.

It would be funny if it was a troll, and they just straight ported over from the console version.

It would suck, and be hilarious,.......................mostly it would just suck, but it would be a little funny,.......right. Ok it would not be all that funny at all.....................sheesh.

Ha - pretty cool that hey are doing this. I mean, yeah - PC games are expected to have a degree of "PC-ness" to them and it sucks that it had to come down to a letter like this - but it's cool nonetheless that they're taking the time for us do address issues and (hopefully) fix them.

all it is in them addressing the major complaints about the first game

I don't know how anyone can turn this into a negative thing at all. BL2 will be as awesome as BL1 but without any of the niggling issues that (barely) detracted from a fantastic game.

all it is in them addressing the major complaints about the first game

I don't know how anyone can turn this into a negative thing at all. BL2 will be as awesome as BL1 but without any of the niggling issues that (barely) detracted from a fantastic game.

How could anyone turn this into a negative thing? Because they're adding "features" and claiming they've listened to things that have been standard for FPS's for the past decade. To be a great game, they need to go above and beyond just plain expectations for any FPS.

Back